Match Preview/Thread - Partick Thistle vs Morton (1st October) - Page 3 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Match Preview/Thread - Partick Thistle vs Morton (1st October)

Admin

Just now, port-ton said:

Feels like a real watershed performance for the season. Need Baird and Lithgow back and set us up as hard to beat as there is absolutely zero creativity in midfield or attack. 

I don't recall Baird and Lithgow doing that in our previous home matches though. The fact that total diddies like 'Dale Hilson' were sinking us in recent home games tells us that the problems at the back were already there. A better team has exposed that brutally - absences certainly haven't helped but haven't caused that. For all the disappointment about the lack of forward options, that is the much more serious and recent development.

It's time to go back to basics with what actually worked when Imrie took over last season: a back 3 with wing-backs, two up front and sand-dancing wingers like Kabia punted into the sea. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have not developed as a club since tha fan take over. In fact we have seriously regressed. 2 year contracts offered to 2 players that offer very little cast major doubts on the direction of this club under this new stewardship.  With recent investment the fans expected at least one new face up front . Our biggest threat up front is our centre half Lithgow which shows how short we are in squad. We need to rely on other squads at moment being worse than us 

forever optimistic

1 minute ago, Scapaflow said:

We have not developed as a club since tha fan take over. In fact we have seriously regressed.

In what ways exactly? Were you living under a rock back in December 2020, when the club was both circling the drain as a viable business and a total fucking nick on the park at the same time? 

Today's result is absolutely abject and unacceptable. Heads should start rolling in the dressing room and if that doesn't work then things will naturally progress further. But this gaslighting of the 'good old days' of Golden Casket running the club into the ground through sheer indifference is equally risible. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

6 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

I don't recall Baird and Lithgow doing that in our previous home matches though. The fact that total diddies like 'Dale Hilson' were sinking us in recent home games tells us that the problems at the back were already there. A better team has exposed that brutally - absences certainly haven't helped but haven't caused that. For all the disappointment about the lack of forward options, that is the much more serious and recent development.

It's time to go back to basics with what actually worked when Imrie took over last season: a back 3 with wing-backs, two up front and sand-dancing wingers like Kabia punted into the sea. 

No I agree with you. I meant get them back and set us up with the back five again to make us hard to beat. 

These tactics aren't working with the players we have and no matter what squad members are chosen to play still nothing is going to change in terms of performance.

Back five with two guys winning every header and try and shitfest and bully our way to safety seems like the best option at this point, at least until January. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

What an embarrassment. The first touch of every single player is appalling. This is Imrie's team and he's made a rip-roaring cunt of it. Defence and Schwake can't cope with any sort of ball into the box. I suddenly realise why Gillespie has been dithering around in the bottom divisions for years - he's garbage. Blues is a non event. Just doesn't do anything. Grimshaw is arguably worse. Kabia I thought did well in the first 30 minutes running the channels but did fuck all after that. Muirhead was Muirhead. 

League is split into two already which was to be expected but I didn't expect we would be this bad. 3 outfield players on the bench in October FFS! 

5 months to find a striker and he hasn't. Not buying this line that there's nothing out there. That's the whole fucking point of a manager - to go and find someone. 

We're just not very good. 

What a shitshow.

Like probably everyone else on here, I've spent decades getting excited and optimistic about our chances at the beginning of a season (especially given Dougie's track record at the tail-end of last one) - but yet again I'm sat here absolutely scunnered.

I really don't know where we go from here. A ritual drowning of Blues and Kabia would be a start. There HAS to be a reason why Imrie keeps playing them. I wonder what it is - because it's certainly not because they're footballers.

1 minute ago, SassenachTon said:

What a shitshow.

Like probably everyone else on here, I've spent decades getting excited and optimistic about our chances at the beginning of a season (especially given Dougie's track record at the tail-end of last one) - but yet again I'm sat here absolutely scunnered.

I really don't know where we go from here. A ritual drowning of Blues and Kabia would be a start. There HAS to be a reason why Imrie keeps playing them. I wonder what it is - because it's certainly not because they're footballers.

I thought Grimshaw was worse and even then he's had poorer games. For all Lyon's faults he's a better option than what was on the park today. 

8 minutes ago, port-ton said:

No I agree with you. I meant get them back and set us up with the back five again to make us hard to beat. 

These tactics aren't working with the players we have and no matter what squad members are chosen to play still nothing is going to change in terms of performance.

Back five with two guys winning every header and try and shitfest and bully our way to safety seems like the best option at this point, at least until January. 

A key point though is that it should be a front two with Quitongo (whenever he's not still suspended) and Muirhead until we actually sign anyone decent, not a front three. Looking back, that's where things started to slide last season.  Muirhead made a case to start games due to his impact off the bench, but shuffling the formation to play him and Ugwu and Reilly made it unbalanced. 

The only way that the current side can deliver is to have at least ten of them sweating embryos to get the ball back. Muirhead being Muirhead up top we can just about get away with: not as a winger and certainly not with another one on the other side of the park. 

This is a big test for Imrie but if he can be pragmatic about his setup then he can get things right. I'd also like Uncle Neil to pay a visit to give his thoughts on that abject result. 

7 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

In what ways exactly? Were you living under a rock back in December 2020, when the club was both circling the drain as a viable business and a total fucking nick on the park at the same time? 

Today's result is absolutely abject and unacceptable. Heads should start rolling in the dressing room and if that doesn't work then things will naturally progress further. But this gaslighting of the 'good old days' of Golden Casket running the club into the ground through sheer indifference is equally risible. 

What are you reading, I never said we were better under golden casket I said we  have not  progressed , perhaps maybe got worse but we all have our point of views  but I  forgot you know it all.

forever optimistic

1 minute ago, irnbru said:

I thought Grimshaw was worse and even then he's had poorer games. For all Lyon's faults he's a better option than what was on the park today. 

Agreed. I also know that Robbie Muirhead is inconsistent and consequently takes some stick, but at least he has the ability to pull the occasional piece of magic out of the hat. 

10 minutes ago, Scapaflow said:

What are you reading, I never said we were better under golden casket I said we  have not  progressed , perhaps maybe got worse but we all have our point of views  but I  forgot you know it all.

You said that we have "seriously regressed" as a club since fan ownership. You can only regress from the previous situation. Compare our situation now (pish) to December 2020 or so (completely alarming, existential crisis and rank rotten on the park as well) and that's simply not true. 

One arguable backward step would be scrapping the development squad. But in the bigger picture, GMFC is in better hands and with a wider set of partners (see the Dalrada deal) than anything on offer in the late Rae era. That doesn't mean all current board decisions are correct by any means and there should always be critical scrutiny, but to say we've gone significantly backwards only underlines how quickly people seem to have forgotten the absolutely fucking dire state we were in less than two years ago. 

It's quite possible that we'll tumble down a division. Frankly, it seems merited given our turgid performances for years and our failure to bite the bullet and end this pointless insistence on full-time jobber football. But what really matters is that a setback on the park is unlikely to literally kill the club in the way that it would have done had £2 million of debt been on the table or we had the stadium taken away from under us. 

36 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

Frankly, it seems merited given our turgid performances for years and our failure to bite the bullet and end this pointless insistence on full-time jobber football.  

Been saying this for a while now. To be brutally honest, a lot of full-time players at Championship level will never make enough money to have a decent long-term career in the game. Of course some will, either by progressing to a higher level or by going into coaching or management, but for the majority their football career will be over by their early 30s. Anyone still playing at Championship level by their mid-20s are unlikely to progress to a higher level, so it would surely be better for them to go part-time and build a career outside the game while they're still relatively young.

I suspect that especially with the current cost-of-living crisis and impending interest rate increases, the part-time model will become far more attractive for both players and clubs.

While I fully see the argument for doing it when Baird and Lithgow are avilable, going to a back three today was daft when it meant having two full backs there and opened us up even more, turning it from comfortable for Partick to the pumping it ended up.

Regardless of whether we're setting up the defence in a back three or four, the basic starting principle for getting results out of this squad should be that the players everyone knows aren't good enough - Blues, Hynes and Kabia - are never in the starting XI. For however many weeks of training it takes him to stop being so woefully unfit having not had a pre-season Grimshaw is also in that category, and there's a solid argument for Muirhead never being considered anything more than an impact sub as well despite his ability to produce moments like that freekick.

If you're cobbling your starting outfield 10 together out of Baird, O'Connor, Lithgow, Strapp, Pignatiello, King, Gillespie, Crawford, McGrattan, Quitongo and McGregor it does make 3-5-2 an appealing option, but even if we stick with a back four 4-3-3 with wingers needs to go in the bin. If you had McGrattan or McGregor playing off Quitongo or even off a front two of Quitongo or Muirhead you can give those individual attacking players the freedom to drift wide when it suits, but they should all be playing through the middle primarily.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

38 minutes ago, Cet Homme Charmant said:

Been saying this for a while now. To be brutally honest, a lot of full-time players at Championship level will never make enough money to have a decent long-term career in the game. Of course some will, either by progressing to a higher level or by going into coaching or management, but for the majority their football career will be over by their early 30s. Anyone still playing at Championship level by their mid-20s are unlikely to progress to a higher level, so it would surely be better for them to go part-time and build a career outside the game while they're still relatively young.

I suspect that especially with the current cost-of-living crisis and impending interest rate increases, the part-time model will become far more attractive for both players and clubs.

The most serious misstep the club made this summer was awarding two year deals to senior players like Baird. Not because of who it is (although I've never rated Baird highly) but because unless there's an elaborate out, we're committing ourselves to the same model next season as well. If one famous definition of insanity is doing the same failed thing over and over again, what is the club doing right now?

It is baffling that we either haven't had a serious cost/benefit analysis of our squad structure yet - or if the board has, that we decided to lollop along with the old one for another two years during an economic shitstorm. Punting a development squad is tinkering around the edges when the first team model is not fit for purpose anymore. 

Alternatively, I would suggest the most serious misstep the club made this summer was offering contracts to just about every squad member from last season. To compound it we then started doling out two-year deals. The end result is we are circling the drain yet again and going forward it is difficult to see how things improve.

Imrie still has plenty in the bank but has questions to answer as this is his squad featuring players who appear in the starting line-up regardless of performance. As for a striker we were asked to be patient and wait for the loan market to open up only to now be told nobody is available and we have to potentially wait until January.  With the lack of creativity and goals in the squad can we really wait until next year?

1 hour ago, vikingTON said:

The most serious misstep the club made this summer was awarding two year deals to senior players like Baird. Not because of who it is (although I've never rated Baird highly) but because unless there's an elaborate out, we're committing ourselves to the same model next season as well. If one famous definition of insanity is doing the same failed thing over and over again, what is the club doing right now?

It is baffling that we either haven't had a serious cost/benefit analysis of our squad structure yet - or if the board has, that we decided to lollop along with the old one for another two years during an economic shitstorm. Punting a development squad is tinkering around the edges when the first team model is not fit for purpose anymore. 

The problem is we have fools running the asylum from top to bottom.

Big B

We are a complete joke right now. Didn't have a good feeling about today but that was a shambles. Back to front we are woeful no energy no creativity and hee haw upfront. Our bench is laughable with nothing to change it and far too many passengers. Unless something changes and quickly we are going to be struggling at the bottom yet again. 

Archived