Match Preview/Thread - Morton vs Ayr United (22nd September) - Page 4 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Match Preview/Thread - Morton vs Ayr United (22nd September)

Admin

6 minutes ago, Mr.Blue said:

Not raging at all. I think he's an asset to the team and its annoying that he is going to miss games through suspension 

Wasn't talking about you, there's definitely situations he gets himself in to that he should stay away from so I agree with you on that, but you get some players like that who need to play a bit closer to the edge than most and judging on his career so far he's always been able to toe that line. 

The reaction on social media especially from some fans during and after the game was really harsh on him considering how undeserved both reds have been. 

For all his faults and lack of end product i for one i am absolutely dreading watching this team play without him in the coming games

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Toby said:

I get that you enjoy playing Devil’s Advocate quite often on here, but you’re flogging a dead horse on this one.

When writing a match preview the other week I had a peek at the bookies odds on him to be booked and noticed 4/6. That’s a astonishingly short odds and that price has remained the same for every game since. I expect they’ll get shorter now.

Complain all you want about individual decisions but there has to be a point that Quitongo himself takes a look at that quite appalling disciplinary record this season.

For a club that are running such a tight squad this season, we really need all fists to the pump, but are going to have an awful lot of games with him sitting in the stand.

Of course Napier had a poor game last night, and I’ll certainly have to wait until I see the highlights before making a judgement on both of our reds (the pillar partially obscured my view of Baird’s) but there has to be a point that we stop pointing the finger at these big bad referees and start addressing a pattern, here.

He was approaching a suspension anyway for an accumulation of booking at this early stage of the season before his two reds, that’s not good enough.

I've no issues with anyone saying his disciplinary record has been terrible this season and he's created a rod for his own back with referees the same way say a Morelos or Xhaka does for Rangers and Arsenal. 

That doesn't mean that referees should just get to send players like that off for whatever they want and fans just have to accept it because they've picked up a few silly bookings previously. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

26 minutes ago, port-ton said:

I've no issues with anyone saying his disciplinary record has been terrible this season and he's created a rod for his own back with referees the same way say a Morelos or Xhaka does for Rangers and Arsenal. 

That doesn't mean that referees should just get to send players like that off for whatever they want and fans just have to accept it because they've picked up a few silly bookings previously. 

I don’t disagree with you, but unfortunately we are going to have to accept it. Referees aren’t going to behave their behaviours no matter how much we complain about it, we’re not Rangers or Celtic.

Reputations carry in all walks of life, and you’ve nailed it by saying he’s made a rod for his own back. But only he can change that and turn around his reputation. If it means holding back from going into the net after we’ve got a late goal back, then so be it, and there’ll have to be other ways of adapting his game.

You made the point that some players need to play a bit closer to the edge for their team to get the best out of them- I’m afraid Quitongo isn’t playing close to the edge, he’s gone over it, in terms of the parameters referees are setting him, and it’s up to him to change his game so that he is playing closer to the edge, as he’ll get no sympathy from officials.

Until he does that, he’ll fast become an expensive bystander rather than the pivotal player that he should be for us this season.

I’m also dreading watching us without him but if this carries on, I’d be dead against extending his contract beyond this season as we’l simply not be getting the value out him we should with his ability.

44 minutes ago, Toby said:

I don’t disagree with you, but unfortunately we are going to have to accept it. Referees aren’t going to behave their behaviours no matter how much we complain about it, we’re not Rangers or Celtic.

Reputations carry in all walks of life, and you’ve nailed it by saying he’s made a rod for his own back. But only he can change that and turn around his reputation. If it means holding back from going into the net after we’ve got a late goal back, then so be it, and there’ll have to be other ways of adapting his game.

You made the point that some players need to play a bit closer to the edge for their team to get the best out of them- I’m afraid Quitongo isn’t playing close to the edge, he’s gone over it, in terms of the parameters referees are setting him, and it’s up to him to change his game so that he is playing closer to the edge, as he’ll get no sympathy from officials.

Until he does that, he’ll fast become an expensive bystander rather than the pivotal player that he should be for us this season.

I’m also dreading watching us without him but if this carries on, I’d be dead against extending his contract beyond this season as we’l simply not be getting the value out him we should with his ability.

I don't disagree with a lot of that. I'd also agree that in his eyes with hindsight after the past week that he now has to realise where that line is that he cannot cross anymore, but I don't think going in to Saturdays game that he should be expected to know that getting the ball out the net after a late goal is crossing the line, or that even after Saturdays incident that he should go in to last night's game thinking that being pulled down on top of an opponent is going to result in a red card. 

He knows where the line he's being judged is now after this week so there's little room left for excuses going forward but I don't think any footballer could go in to those two games expecting to know that these ridiculous decisions were the line in the sand referees have drawn for them. 

We are only in September so it's far too early for me to decide whether we should extend his contract or not. I'd be extremely surprised if he ended up with 5/6 red cards after never receiving one in his career before this season but if that happens then obviously decisions need to be made on what's best for the club and the squad next season. 

32.gif

2 hours ago, irnbru said:

From what I saw, yes. 

Can't see that being the case.  Each to their own though. 

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

3 hours ago, Mr.Blue said:

He's been totally innocent for 2 red cards in the space of 6 days?

I have no idea why he was sent off on either occasion. In that sense, I don't feel that I can be critical towards him for those red cards. Maybe something will come up to change my mind on that, but from what I've seen his red cards have been down to weird refereeing decisions. 

That being said, the referees in those games were both visibly annoyed with Jai at certain points during the match. He maybe needs to be realistic - the way he goes about his game (especially his complaining) is putting him on the wrong side of referees. He does everything very close to the edge. There's certainly an argument that he needs to wind that back - because referees clearly don't like it. 

So while, as far as I can see, he's innocent on both red cards, he's guilty of annoying bampot referees (and I don't think they're ever going to go away).

Is there not an appeal mechanism for red cards?  That one last night looked particularly ridiculous albeit the view was partially obscured after he was fouled.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

Quitongo is too often a petulant man-child unwilling or unable to wise up in how he plays, reacts and inter-acts with officials. His disciplinary record this season is dreadful and to blame it all on big bad referees is bordering on OF hysteria. Yes some of his cards have been harsh but Quitongo constantly puts himself in a position unlikely to garner any sympathy with the officials.  

Is there anywhere you can see what bookings/sendings off have been issued for? I had a wee look on the SFA disciplinary reports and can't see anything more than a list of suspensions, but I was curious as the video of Quitongo's second booking against Abroath looks like it was maybe for a comment made to the ref on his way past? There's nothing at all in the incident before it (which wouldn't really stop some refs dishing out cards), and it doesn't really look like the ref is going to his pocket until Jai has passed him which suggests something might have been said.

The reason for it would maybe condition the way you see his record (along with the replays from last night), but certainly there's some things he's prone to do or get involved in that could be avoided without anybody being worse off* if refs are keeping an eye out for him, regardless of the details of these recent incidents. 

*Not really a comment on him or saying it's particularly bad things as such, and I think it'd be pretty dubious if a player had to amend their game in any way even if it might not be 100% perfect or well-behaved or whatever just because refs insist on being fannies, but that's the way it is and if you keep picking up cards you really need to make sure you're avoiding anything approaching daft situations.

AWMSC

Watched highlights and hard to tell with the Jai one due to camera angle and fans head being in the way. Definitely a foul on Jai and then Ayr player gets up first and is in his face then you see him hold his face like he's been hit. 

Seems a bit strange to me though that neither manager thought it was a sending off despite being right beside it and there is no reaction from the assistant referee or any of the Ayr players as if their teammate has just been hit while the Morton players have no idea why he's been sent off. 

Baird is a bit more of a lunge than I remember seeing it in real time but still nowhere near a red card challenge. 

32.gif

The challenge their player got the second yellow for looked a much worse tackle than Baird’s, that could maybe have been a straight red. Baird’s looks harsh especially with that one in mind although it’s a pretty reckless and ill-advised tackle, and Quitongo’s is impossible to come to any conclusive verdict on.

It does look like there could be something in it with the way his arm moves but the speed of it and the camera angle make it hard to tell and it could as easily be an innocuous movement: you can’t see a glaringly obvious offence but nor is it entirely absolving either. It’s probably going to be a tricky one to appeal, unfortunately.

Ultimately all 3 of his sendings off are for stupid, unnecessary things. Even if you see them as being harsh, there’s no real need for the situations to have presented themselves and if it keeps happening he’ll only have himself to blame.

AWMSC

43 minutes ago, SpoonTon said:

Having seen it again, Jai was stupid. I think he's just trying to push the guy off, but I can see why it would look like a punch. He certainly has to tone that down. 

Baird's wasn't even a booking though. No idea what the ref was looking at . 

Agreed on both counts - I think a yellow for both in the Jai incident would have been sufficient but yes, it's a bad situation to put yourself in.

The Baird one was an absolute joke. It's not like he even steps down on the guy. It's a slightly late "scything" that wasn't worthy of a red by a long shot.

EOho8Pw.png

Our goal was a proper deflected trundler. Their goal demonstrating yet more lazy Morton defending - how many players do we need to close a man down or track a runner? The penalty save was a late highlight. I thought Baird red card was harsh. Quitongo appears to react to the challenge and throw an arm albeit it looked minimal contact. Once again though Quitongo gave the official the opportunity to get his cards out. 

Just watched the Quitongo one on my computer screen (instead of my phone) and slowed it down a bit.  Don't think he can have any complaints tbh, perhaps their player lashed out too on the way down but there's a pretty clear swing from Jai that you'd need to be extremely lucky to get away with. 

AWMSC

I had a pretty good view of the incident against Arbroath and thought the only reason Jai was sent off was Gaston failing in his attempts to manhandle him out of getting the ball first. Gaston was absolutely raging and kept complaining to the ref until he sent Jai off. I couldn’t understand Gaston’s rage though as it was more what you’d expect if Jai had tried to break his team mate’s leg or something like that. I watched a Wolves player grab the ball out of the net after a late equaliser the same day, and no-one made any objections. That was the only difference I could see.

Archived