Match Preview/Thread - Morton vs Arbroath (17th September) - Page 4 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Match Preview/Thread - Morton vs Arbroath (17th September)

Admin

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quitongo is our only threat. Any goal scoring opportunity, any chance comes through him. He is not the problem, it's the utter dung playing with him. Of course being a threat is not good enough but if we had someone decent playing alongside him then I think we'd be fine. Dare I say a Gozie Ugwu type would be a perfect fit for Quitongo. He's probably the only pass signing from Imrie this season.

My overall impression of that game was that all we did was hoof the ball up for the Arbroath defenders to head it back. Our players didn’t seem to be able to exhibit any basic skills. Passing was hopeless, couldn’t control the ball, everything was shite. At one point we were on the attack and with three or four passes, the ball was back to our keeper. Clueless.

Imrie started well, but this season he’s made a lot of bad decisions, although money might be the reason. Blues had improved but he’s now regressed to league 2 standard at best. Sending Lyon and Garrity on loan means we lack options to change things - Lyon was poor this season but we know he can do better; Blues can’t. The main problem though is still the lack of a striker. We are toothless. Our shooting is also appalling on the rare occasions we get the chance.

No doubt we will turn Partick over in our next league game as that seems to be the way things go in this still fairly tight league, but if we continue in this vein, we are going to finish near the bottom.  The question is whether or not Imrie can sort the problems.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

49 minutes ago, dmcewan16 said:

Hopefully the board are working on deals to release blues and muirhead from there contracts. The cunt muirhead posing for selfies when walking round the pitch after being subbed summed him up. Offers nothing and wants to blame everyone around him for his failures.

In fairness to Muirhead the kids were absolutely begging him and he was reluctant to do it, but eventually relented.

Agreed totally that he was mince yesterday but the selfie thing is the least of our problems.

Blues on the other hand was just a ghost. He's had his good moments but he was as good as a man down yesterday. I've said already but I was hugely disappointed in Gillespie, given his experience and the fact that he's captain. Just didn't take charge of the midfield at all, much less the whole game.

Crawford and Jai get pass marks for me, nobody else.

EOho8Pw.png

19 minutes ago, TRVMP said:

In fairness to Muirhead the kids were absolutely begging him and he was reluctant to do it, but eventually relented.

Agreed totally that he was mince yesterday but the selfie thing is the least of our problems.

Blues on the other hand was just a ghost. He's had his good moments but he was as good as a man down yesterday. I've said already but I was hugely disappointed in Gillespie, given his experience and the fact that he's captain. Just didn't take charge of the midfield at all, much less the whole game.

Crawford and Jai get pass marks for me, nobody else.

As someone who's defended Blues more than most I'd actually say that he wasn't a ghost in this game or the previous game. In games previous to those you can make the argument that he's a bit of a ghost but doing unseen things that the manager and teammates appreciate, but the last two games and especially yesterday he was an absolute detriment to the team and our performance with almost every action he took on the pitch offensively and defensively. 

I can forgive a bad performance but the most galling thing for me was at 2-0 down how unwilling he was to take any responsibility to get us back in to the game. Even when given space and options ahead of him he would hold on to it too long, turn backwards and pass on the responsibility to someone else to try get us back in the the game. 

I'm hopeful that the fact Dougie even took him off no matter how late in the game it was is a sign that he noticed how bad he was playing, and that he's as droppable as any of the other players in the squad. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

McGregor and McGrattan need to come in for Kabia and Blues on Thursday. If they can't do better than the current standard then they shouldn't be at the club. Grimshaw should also be given a run in midfield because that and not right back is the priority area for sorting out. 

Muirhead should be dropped as well but I'm not sure what options we actually have to do that.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Blues has looked so far off the pace of the game this season. His redeeming features last season were being a presence in midfield (without being spectacular in any remote sense) and making some good forward runs. I was watching yesterday feeling like we really missed out by failing to sign a player like Low. 

For me, the biggest problem continues to be Muirhead and Kabia. The front 3 have two goals between them this season. It's been completely weak. Quitongo would be fine if he could finish (which is a vital 'if' so I'm not excluding him in this), but the sum total of the other two has added up to looking like we're a man down. The decision to sign Grimshaw, even if we're struggling to find the right forward players, looks like a big misstep considering how badly we're struggling in attacking areas. 

4 hours ago, dmcewan16 said:

Hopefully the board are working on deals to release blues and muirhead from there contracts. The cunt muirhead posing for selfies when walking round the pitch after being subbed summed him up. Offers nothing and wants to blame everyone around him for his failures.

He was raging with himself when he came off. If there's a wee guy wanting a picture and he obliges that's the least of our worries and not really something that he can be criticised for. 

3 hours ago, port-ton said:

As someone who's defended Blues more than most I'd actually say that he wasn't a ghost in this game or the previous game. In games previous to those you can make the argument that he's a bit of a ghost but doing unseen things that the manager and teammates appreciate, but the last two games and especially yesterday he was an absolute detriment to the team and our performance with almost every action he took on the pitch offensively and defensively. 

I can forgive a bad performance but the most galling thing for me was at 2-0 down how unwilling he was to take any responsibility to get us back in to the game. Even when given space and options ahead of him he would hold on to it too long, turn backwards and pass on the responsibility to someone else to try get us back in the the game. 

I'm hopeful that the fact Dougie even took him off no matter how late in the game it was is a sign that he noticed how bad he was playing, and that he's as droppable as any of the other players in the squad. 

Ghosts are spooky and evil and make bumps in the night.

EOho8Pw.png

Just watched the highlights to see our goal and red card as had to leave early to beat the crowds. 

Surely Quitongo's red card is for dissent? Nothing much happened in goalmouth scramble and ref didn't seem to be giving anything until Quitongo said something to him. Thought the first yellow was extremely harsh during the match as well and the referee gave it without even seeing it. 

Very frustrating and will be a big miss for us. His lack of end product is costing us points but only because we are relying on him to take almost every chance he creates for himself in order to win games, when a functioning team would be creating and scoring goals from other areas that allows us to benefit from Quitongos strengths rather than relying on his weaknesses.

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

9 hours ago, dmcewan16 said:

Aye you're tight, he should have told the 5 year old to fuck off.. .

8 hours ago, port-ton said:

If he noticed that like all of us he would have whipped him off after ten minutes, not with two minutes to go.

6 hours ago, Brian Skelton said:

Unfortunately under MCT and the financial restraints that come with it means these are the calibre of players we are going to be watching unless something changes.

We're stacked in midfield. That's a managerial decision. Not saying Imrie has it easy - he obviously doesn't - but he made the decision to retain certain players and sign certain others.

EOho8Pw.png

4 minutes ago, astuartm said:

If he noticed that like all of us he would have whipped him off after ten minutes, not with two minutes to go.

Well usually no matter how well or poorly he plays he stays on the pitch, so subbing him on the 83rd minute is at least a realisation on Imrie's part where he had noticed how bad his performance was. 

I'm not a Blues hater by any means, but I just want Imrie to not play favourites and class him as drobbaple like everyone else, and noone can deny his performances this season deserve it so if actually subbing him for once leads to that then great.

32.gif

Thinking about the team next week and what changes I think should be made this is what I would go with. 

Schwake 

Pignatiello Baird Lithgow Strapp

Crawford Gillespie McGrattan

McGregor Muirhead King 

Pignatiello has to come back in for me no idea why Imrie thought Grimshaw who has played no football and barely trained was good enough to start, I think Grimshaw will be a good player but needs more time to gel. Strapp another who is a must start I know King has a lot of potential but for me I don't think he is a natural left back he has made a few errors recently and should be moved further forward. 

Wonder boy Blues probably will start knowing Imrie but McGrattan made an impact when he came on and deserves a chance to show what he can do. Kabia is an imposter and has done nothing since he has came here he may have potential but we can't carry passangers anymore. Muirhead starts as we have no one else simple as that unless we get a striker in before next week but I won't hold my breathe. 

I just don’t think Dougie’s dream 4-3-3 formation can work with two passengers in the front three. Jai’s the only one who contributes in the modern game. He needs to change to 4-2-3-1 to suit his current shite choice of player and he needs to recognise that Blues is not made for this level of mediocrity. Change to 4-3-3 only when we have the calibre of player to do so!

Unfortunately Blues, Muirhead and Kabia* are just not good enough for this league. No amount of tinkering with formations is going to sort that out.

Muirhead and Blues have had a handful of decent games in a Morton shirt, spread over very long period of time. I'd be happy to see them both shipped out in January or sooner. 

*might be a bit harsh on Kabia as he could still settle in.

Archived