Match Preview/Thread - Morton vs Ayr United (3rd September) - Page 2 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Match Preview/Thread - Morton vs Ayr United (3rd September)

Admin

Playing Strapp at LB and shifting King forward seems the obvious change for me for next week. Kabila put on some effort at least, but produced little to nothing and fluffed his chance in front of goal. Muirhead was barely involved at all*

Blues, though he has certainly improved over the time he’s been with us, had a poor game today, nodding the ball back in to danger rather than out for a corner being the most obvious clanger.

Gillespie and Crawford were alright. Quitongo is good at pulling defenders out of position and can probably beat just about every centre half in the division in a sprint, but needs someone to play off of, I think, plus players to make runs beyond when he’s holding the ball up.

Shooting practice at training needs quadrupled.

*ETA besides the goal

Played well for half an hour then fell out of it, during which time we’d lost the first. Thought we were poor overall and didn’t really deserve anything from the game. Subs needed to be on far earlier than they were.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

Lithgow was easily our most effective sub and possibly our best attacking player in the game as well which says enough. He should be playing next week over any of the two centre backs. 

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

11 minutes ago, GiGi said:

Lithgow was easily our most effective sub and possibly our best attacking player in the game as well which says enough. He should be playing next week over any of the two centre backs. 

I think I can forecast with some confidence that you will not be receiving a Christmas Card from Capitanus this year. 

We had more than enough chances to get something out of the game. Crawford in the first half and Kabia in the second in particular passing up great chances. Otherwise, Muirhead and Kabia offered little and generally felt like the weakest points of the team.

We need to add some quality in attacking areas of the pitch. 

Dougie pretty upfront in his post match analysis.  Same Players making individual errors and it won't be tolerated. Assuming we will be bringing reinforcements as at the moment we have very limited options 

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

6 minutes ago, Mr.Blue said:

Dougie pretty upfront in his post match analysis.  Same Players making individual errors and it won't be tolerated. Assuming we will be bringing reinforcements as at the moment we have very limited options 

Aye, no players there to come in for the individuals doesn't help. 

Muirhead was invisible despite scoring. Kabia invisible too.

Can we recall players from loan?

Midfield ok apart from Blues who caused the first goal. Why was that mutant striker given acres of space to set up the second? Why do we still not have a striker? Why is our shooting so excruciatingly bad?

BTW the umbrella ban failed. Friend of mine had a golf umbrella with him the whole game, albeit unopened.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

12 hours ago, irnbru said:

Aye, no players there to come in for the individuals doesn't help. 

Well no there were players there to change our gameplan King is not a fixed left-back and yet we chose to have Strapp on the bench for most of the game. Would King have been more useful further up the park than Kabia or Blues? We don't know because we didn't try that. And nobody actually forces us to play with wingers in Kabia and Muirhead either. 

The reality is that Imrie took too long today to change from a setup that he is familiar with. It started well but didn't actually deliver what was required as soon as we conceded the first goal. It was not a calamitous display by any means, but part of being a good manager is knowing when Plan A isn't working and finding a credible Plan B with the options available. We didn't do that which is the disappointing element of today's game. 

For me Imrie laid an egg in that second half by not changing things sooner, regardless of the fact that we don't have Mbappe to call on. He's done far, far more right than wrong in his limited managerial experience so far, but we shouldn't pretend that he can't also get it wrong from time to time. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

9 hours ago, vikingTON said:

Well no there were players there to change our gameplan King is not a fixed left-back and yet we chose to have Strapp on the bench for most of the game. Would King have been more useful further up the park than Kabia or Blues? We don't know because we didn't try that. And nobody actually forces us to play with wingers in Kabia and Muirhead either. 

The reality is that Imrie took too long today to change from a setup that he is familiar with. It started we but didn't actually deliver what was required as soon as we conceded the first goal. It was not a calamitous display by any mean, but part of being a good manager is knowing when Plan A isn't working and finding a credible Plan B with the options available. We didn't do that which is the disappointing element of today's game. 

For me Imrie laid an egg in that second half by not changing things sooner, regardless of the fact that we don't have Mbappe to call on. He's done far, far more right than wrong in his limited managerial experience so far, but we shouldn't pretend that he can't also get it wrong from time to time. 

Considering how much he gets right it would be easy to overreact to this, but I do worry that subs being made late on is a sign that he's maybe getting too attached to the players he already knows he trusts.

One of the refreshing parts of his tenure has been his willingness to makes subs early if needed, when we were accustomed to MacPherson waiting until the 80th minute: waiting until we went 2-0 down yesterday when it was apparent we needed changes 2 minutes into the second half was therefore baffling. Regardless of how much trust he has in the likes of McGrattan and McGregor, if he's choosing to run with a 17 man squad which includes them then he has to use them, no matter how much he wants to overlook absolute stinkers from his own signing in Kabia or the golden boy Blues.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

I felt we were the better team and had more chances but again the difference is they have a striker who takes the chances while we have absolutely nothing up top we are creating chances which is encouraging but seem to freeze as soon as the ball is anywhere near the penalty box. 

Few things to note from yesterday Blues was woeful he was at fault for the goal and his general play was pretty mince but again we have no other options really who can come in and do something since both Lyons and Garrity are away squad is bare thin with no one to change it.

I do like King and feel he is going to be some player but felt he made a few mistakes yesterday and not sure why he is playing ahead of Strapp who was our best player by a mile last season get Kig further forward and get the imposter Kabia benched. Jai is a threat and never gives defenders a minute but he isn't going to score tons of goals. A few good players in the next week or so and I think we have a good chance of doing something this season making the playoffs if not then it will another season of struggling I feel the longer we leave it to get someone up top the more points we are going to throw away.    

Kabia put in another woeful performance, I don't see what he does to justify a start? Reeks of someone who wants to look good when playing but doesn't do the basics. Trying to round the keeper with several men around him instead of shooting was embarrassing. At least young McGregor would've came on and looked to impress the gaffer.

I thought generally, across the game we weren't too bad, Ayr definitely don't look like the best team in the league, but most teams who win this league grind out results when needed. We are crying out for a forward who has some capacity to hit the target and make themselves available in the box.

Quitongo has been an excellent recruit so far, not in terms of finishing (he's never had the natural ability), but when he moves with the ball there's a possibility of troubling the opposition back line, his directness is one of the few reasons we actually get into the danger areas going forward. 

Gillespie also has a bit of 'Tidser' about him. Calm and collected on the ball. Two good signings from Dougie I reckon.

3 hours ago, DumfriesTon said:

Looking at the highlights and O'Connor has had a nightmare for both goals. No idea who's meant to be marking Adeyemi for both goals either. Woeful.

Didn't realise it was O'connor who let the forward go to score the second. Poor defending. 

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

Archived