Match Preview/Thread - Morton vs Dundee (20th August) - Page 2 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Match Preview/Thread - Morton vs Dundee (20th August)

Admin

Big game for King today, and he was excellent. MOTM for me aswell. 

Jai gave them a torrid time, if he could add the finishing to his game he’d be unreal. 

Crawford looks the part and shows what we’ve been missing in there. 

Really hope we manage to get a few more players in the door. Striker and an option out wide would be ideal.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of all the games we’ve played so far this season, this for me was the one which highlighted the desperate need for a striker more than any other. I know we’ve got new players on the grass who are still finding their feet and bedding in, but we’re becoming increasingly solid at the back and in midfield. A few more tweaks and we’re pretty much there. All that effort is wasted though - because no matter what chances we create - there’s never anyone on the end of it. Jai’s really impressive - much more so than I’d anticipated, and King absolutely nailed it. Crawford’s a good addition, no question. With a decent finisher, I’d fancy us for a respectable table slot at season end.

Frustrated not to win that.

Thought King was excellent and was MoM. He has a big future ahead of him. He put some lovely balls in, just needed a striker to finish them. Defended very well too 

Like VT suggested, move him up and play Strapp LB

Really impressed by Crawford too, looks a very good addition. Lyon will struggle to get back in now, that middle 3 worked well together.

2 CBs looked very solid today too 

Get a good striker in( a Gozie type would be perfect) and we should be absolutely fine this season. If that's the best the league has to offer, no reason we can't compete for top 4 

Surprised the crowd was only just over 2k. Looked like we had more than Cove game and they had 5-600. Thought it looked closer to 2.5k.

47 minutes ago, Alibi said:

It came back on after about 5 minutes, but had brief reboots after that until they got the fault sorted. In the second half the camera kept cutting out & in but got sorted quite quickly. When it was working, the picture was much sharper than the last stream I watched. I assume the technical glitches will be fixed before the next home game. The coverage is pretty good although some use of the zoom lens would be nice. Rushing to the airport to get the flight back from Chicago… 😂

Yeah, wasn't down for long, but more than 5 minutes I think. 

Frustrating game.

Positives:

We more than matched one of the supposed title contenders, which is encouraging. And defensively, we were again pretty sound. Robbie Crawford looks like he's going to be a great acquisition.

Negative: 

With a wee bit of composure and quality in the box and we would have won that game. Kabia's chance in the 1st half in particular would have been easily buried by a half-decent finisher. If we manage to acquire one, we'll not only be safe, but may even be able to challenge for 4th.

Really enjoyed that game today. Not a bad performance in the team. I thought King was absolutely brilliant as were O'connor and baird. Gillespie just oozes class and calmness. Crawford looks like he'll be a good player for us. Jai tremendous again just lacks composure in the important situations. We absolutely need a striker in that going to take some of these chances.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

4 minutes ago, Mr.Blue said:

Jai tremendous again just lacks composure in the important situations. We absolutely need a striker in that going to take some of these chances.

Or look up and pass the ball when there's a better option than just running. That annoyed me today.

I enjoyed the game and was pleased with the effort and the (at times slightly desperate) defending. Didn't think Dundee were up to much.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

Another season starts and we still can't find a striker that merits the name. Jai can hustle and bustle but has zero composure or guile in front of goal. Muirhead is capable of scoring but only when Halley's comet is flying over Cappielow.

Neither can deliver consistently and they will be lucky to score a dozen between them. Dougie must try to get anyone in on loan that can finish with the boards support or we will be fighting to avoid the bottom 3 once again.

6 hours ago, SassenachTon said:

Of all the games we’ve played so far this season, this for me was the one which highlighted the desperate need for a striker more than any other. I know we’ve got new players on the grass who are still finding their feet and bedding in, but we’re becoming increasingly solid at the back and in midfield. A few more tweaks and we’re pretty much there. All that effort is wasted though - because no matter what chances we create - there’s never anyone on the end of it. Jai’s really impressive - much more so than I’d anticipated, and King absolutely nailed it. Crawford’s a good addition, no question. With a decent finisher, I’d fancy us for a respectable table slot at season end.

Firs game I have seen this season but 100% agree with the new money 2 forwards would be good.

5 hours ago, TONofmemories said:

Muirhead seems miles off it fitness wise.

I thought he looks a bit leaner first time I have seen him this season.

Big B

6 hours ago, Madton said:

Thought King was excellent and was MoM. He has a big future ahead of him. He put some lovely balls in, just needed a striker to finish them. Defended very well too 

Really impressed by Crawford too, looks a very good addition. Lyon will struggle to get back in now, that middle 3 worked well together.

Get a good striker in( a Gozie type would be perfect) and we should be absolutely fine this season. If that's the best the league has to offer, no reason we can't compete for top 4 

Surprised the crowd was only just over 2k. Looked like we had more than Cove game and they had 5-600. Thought it looked closer to 2.5k.

First comment: King was excellent.......I think we have a plerr'

1 hour ago, TaunTon said:

Another season starts and we still can't find a striker that merits the name. Jai can hustle and bustle but has zero composure or guile in front of goal. Muirhead is capable of scoring but only when Halley's comet is flying over Cappielow.

Neither can deliver consistently and they will be lucky to score a dozen between them. Dougie must try to get anyone in on loan that can finish with the boards support or we will be fighting to avoid the bottom 3 once again.

Mate........Jai was virtually our only threat up front.......and by god he sent the fear of .........Jai!

There's a player in Kabia and we see in flashes what he can do. I do agree that his body language could be better at times and he goes down a lot. Perhaps a luxury we can't afford this season but i trust Dougies judgement.  It is concerning that he is being targeted by some as well as Blues. Every season we have a player or 2 who gets unreserved criticism on a regular basis.

2 hours ago, Mr.Blue said:

There's a player in Kabia and we see in flashes what he can do. I do agree that his body language could be better at times and he goes down a lot. Perhaps a luxury we can't afford this season but i trust Dougies judgement.  It is concerning that he is being targeted by some as well as Blues. Every season we have a player or 2 who gets unreserved criticism on a regular basis.

Aye…….He was fine yesterday. 

Quitongo has obviously surprised a lot of the people who wrote him off, so I suppose It’s being redirected elsewhere?

The whole team played well yesterday although it’s obvious we need another striker (we still cannae field a full bench for a start). 

18 hours ago, Madton said:

Gozie still without a club.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

3 hours ago, 9 Strathblane Crescent said:

Gozie still without a club.

I'm not sure he's what we need. We have quitongo as a physical presence and Muirhead to an extent as well. We need someone with a better goalscoring record than the big man.

2 hours ago, Mr.Blue said:

I'm not sure he's what we need. We have quitongo as a physical presence and Muirhead to an extent as well. We need someone with a better goalscoring record than the big man.

The number of times Dougie gave him pelters last season for not working hard enough may suggest he’d rather someone else in too.

I liked Gozie, he put himself about, scored a few good ones, but we'd be as well not signing anyone and saving our pennies if he's the answer to our positioning and clinical finishing problems.

EOho8Pw.png

Kabia absolutely has to be putting that away. No excuses.

Even enough game based on the chances. Have to say, he'll never win any prizes for technical ability but I like O'Connor's reading of the game.

EOho8Pw.png

Archived