Match Preview/Thread - Morton vs Dundee (20th August) - Page 3 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Match Preview/Thread - Morton vs Dundee (20th August)

Admin

Surprised that the flag didn't go up for Kabia's lob (which I agree, he should have scored).

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, AyrshireTon said:

Surprised that the flag didn't go up for Kabia's lob (which I agree, he should have scored).

He looked absolutely miles offside from where I was in the cowshed. I couldn't believe it when the flag didn't go up. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

10 hours ago, TRVMP said:

I liked Gozie, he put himself about, scored a few good ones, but we'd be as well not signing anyone and saving our pennies if he's the answer to our positioning and clinical finishing problems.

Agreed. It would almost be like we were just getting another body in for the sake of it. In an ideal world we need someone who is going to get us 10-15 goals in a season but almost every club in Scotland could say the same.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

I don't think we will sign him but I actually think Gozie with Quitongo running off him could be successful in this league. The change of system and having pace around him would suit him much more than feeding off scraps to hold up the ball in the 5-3-2 system of last season in my opinion. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

19 minutes ago, port-ton said:

I don't think we will sign him but I actually think Gozie with Quitongo running off him could be successful in this league. The change of system and having pace around him would suit him much more than feeding off scraps to hold up the ball in the 5-3-2 system of last season in my opinion. 

Depends on your definition of successful. Gozie like Quitongo have their moments but neither are ever likely to be prolific goal-scorers. They are playing at this level for a reason. 

1 hour ago, HamCam said:

Depends on your definition of successful. Gozie like Quitongo have their moments but neither are ever likely to be prolific goal-scorers. They are playing at this level for a reason. 

He's never going to be a 20 goal a season striker but we weren't really set up last season to get him as close to goal as possible. Him and Reilly were feeding off scraps the majority of the time in the system we played with. 

I think in a 4-3-3 with the pace of Quitongo and Kabia we'd see him be a lot more dangerous closer to the opponents goal than last season. He'd also help us in counter attacking situations with his hold up play and the wingers, Crawford or blues running off him. 

Of course I'd exchange all that in a heartbeat for us to bring in a 20 goal a season striker but I just don't think he'd be the useless signing some people think he would be. 

32.gif

In two minds about Gozie I did like him last season and feel he would give us another option up front however I can't see him scoring 10-15 goals in a season but in all honesty who can we attract who would. 

I think we are a better team than last season and think he may be a better signing than people would give him credit for. 

The thing about Gozie is that although he wasn't a prolific goalscorer himself, in one way or another he played a large part in many of the goals we scored last season, with knock-ons and lay-offs. Don't know how many assists he was officially credited with, but it must have been a lot. 

As others have said, he's not going to solve our problem by scoring 20 goals himself, but as well as the handful of goals he will score, he will also create more chances in the box for others, which even with our poor chances-to-conversions rate is still bound to get us more goals. I think with him in the team he'll add 10-15 goals this season including assists, which could make a huge difference.

I'd definitely have him back if it was an option.

4 hours ago, port-ton said:

He's never going to be a 20 goal a season striker but we weren't really set up last season to get him as close to goal as possible. Him and Reilly were feeding off scraps the majority of the time in the system we played with. 

I think in a 4-3-3 with the pace of Quitongo and Kabia we'd see him be a lot more dangerous closer to the opponents goal than last season. He'd also help us in counter attacking situations with his hold up play and the wingers, Crawford or blues running off him. 

Of course I'd exchange all that in a heartbeat for us to bring in a 20 goal a season striker but I just don't think he'd be the useless signing some people think he would be. 

Only 5 players in this league managed 10 goals last season. 20 goal a season strikers at this level are extremely rare, especially if their name isn't Shankland or Dobbie. Actual out and out goalscorers who are any good are so rare at this level that you're better hoping for someone with decent all round contribution who chips in with maybe 10 goals. 

A fit and on form Ugwu could be that player for us, he was just about there last season but faded away towards the end. So I agree in the sense that it's the type of player that we're realistically going to get, although I think the ship has sailed on that one itself. 

4 minutes ago, DreamOakTree said:

What’s Poplatnik’s scoring rate? If he’s available!

Just checked and his record with Raith was the exact same as Ugwu’s with Morton - 7 goals in 21 games.

Just now, DreamOakTree said:

Just checked and his record with Raith was the exact same as Ugwu’s with Morton - 7 goals in 21 games.

Sorry 31 games!

Archived