Match Preview/Thread - Raith Rovers vs Morton (13th August) - Page 2 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Match Preview/Thread - Raith Rovers vs Morton (13th August)

Admin

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Chesh said:

Players needed in ASAP. 

If the players that we've got aren't able to compete with Raith fucking Rovers, then they shouldn't have been signed/given new contracts in the summer. We need to strengthen but most other clubs are in the same boat right now. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

I don't understand how no one is being penalised or even hurried along for timewasting here. Every stoppage is an opportunity for Raith to stand about for 30-40 seconds or boot the ball away with no repercussions.

King misses a sitter, and that will be that. Disappointing.

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

A 2-1 away defeat is no disgrace and the stats show that it was a fairly even game - possibly the flip side of our win against Cove last week that could have gone very differently in the first half. We can't just rely on 'more signings' being the answer though because none of the squads around us are complete themselves. 

Let's see where we are by the end of the first quarter. Cove tanking is good news, but on the other hand Ayr have replaced one goalscoring ringer from the English non-leagues for another, which is cause for concern. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

1 hour ago, vikingTON said:

A 2-1 away defeat is no disgrace and the stats show that it was a fairly even game - possibly the flip side of our win against Cove last week that could have gone very differently in the first half. We can't just rely on 'more signings' being the answer though because none of the squads around us are complete themselves. 

Let's see where we are by the end of the first quarter. Cove tanking is good news, but on the other hand Ayr have replaced one goalscoring ringer from the English non-leagues for another, which is cause for concern. 

We definitely need a striker as we are the lightest in the league up top. Otherwise, totally agree

The only part of the performance that worries me is that both goals you could see coming a mile off. The first was our age-old weakness from wide balls. The second, it was so, so obvious the cutback was happening but three of our guys just went headlong for the ball. Not one of them looked up to see the man for the cutback, who finished well but could have been blocked.

Other than that, a ropey spell at the end of the first half aside we weren't awful.

EOho8Pw.png

What a waste of a Saturday afternoon. Aside from a bright enough opening 5/10 minutes we were second best for the rest of the match. Only one team looked to play any football and it was not us. Our distribution from the back was and is dreadful, too often just an aimless punt up the park. That said our midfield for the most part is anonymous with Gillespie the only player to show for a pass. Up front Kabia was again invisible, Muirhead wandering around aimlessly on the fringes and Quitongo a nuisance who lacks composure. Be under no illusion Raith are a very ordinary team albeit they took their chances well today. As for the stats suggesting it was a fairly even game...

44 minutes ago, HamCam said:

Only one team looked to play any football and it was not us. 

Not going to dispute your other points at all, but... what does this actually mean? Did we 'look to play football' last week against Cove: what was different? How is this measured exactly - what is the 'looking to play football' scale, that we failed to score highly on and why?

Perhaps instead of engaging in reductive pish about the intent of the team, we could reflect on the objective outcome that a team lacking in quality in the first place looks dung when its gameplan doesn't work. That's lower league Scottish football. 

3 hours ago, vikingTON said:

Not going to dispute your other points at all, but... what does this actually mean? Did we 'look to play football' last week against Cove: what was different? How is this measured exactly - what is the 'looking to play football' scale, that we failed to score highly on and why?

Perhaps instead of engaging in reductive pish about the intent of the team, we could reflect on the objective outcome that a team lacking in quality in the first place looks dung when its gameplan doesn't work. That's lower league Scottish football. 

What was different with Cove was the result. Football for me tends to involve occasionally passing to your teammates not a comment on intent. Raith were much better at it than Morton. Yes we lack quality but if you had been there you may have noted Raith also lack quality.

1 hour ago, HamCam said:

What was different with Cove was the result.

So we didn't look to play football last week? Then how did we win and pass up several other chances to score (Cove of course also doing similar)? What was objectively different about our approach to 'playing football' at Raith - or did we just not reach the required level to create good chances in a trickier match? 

If you're going to make a judgment on the intent of the team then the result alone is an abysmal guide. That only tells you how effective the team was - which a cursory glance at the strength of the current squad would explain far better than any amount of bumping gums about whether we were 'looking to play fitba' or not.  

Archived