Match Preview/Thread - Morton vs Cove Rangers (6th August) - Page 2 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Match Preview/Thread - Morton vs Cove Rangers (6th August)

Admin

Lost our way when we went 442 but second half much better. Quitongo a menace. Strapp lucky to stay on and think that made dougies mind up to sub him off again 

Lyon wasted right mid so not surprised to see king come in. Impressed with him. 

4 out of 6. Can’t complain 

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, Brian Skelton said:

Maybe if we could try and push the boat out a little bit more and add a half decent striker and  a bit of creativity in midfield we can hopefully have a not bad season as the defence looks ok.

We sold the boat for scrap.

Thought we were lucky to go in level at half time. Cove are a decent side with some quality and experience but looked pretty toothless up front. Second half we came out and got at them. Thought the keeper and back 4 were very good. Gillespie continues to really impress me and I thought Quitongo was excellent. A typical Jai goal and what he's good at. I half expected the ref to blow for a foul so fair play for allowing it. Also thought King done well again when he came on. 

Shay Logan is a clown.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

4 points out of 6 from the first two games is good going with the squad we have. Hopefully we can kick on, and obviously would love a few more signings. 

If we could bring in a striker and a midfielder to replace Muirhead and Blues we would be onto a winner.

Any injuries at all and we are absolutely snookered as the squad is just so thin at the moment.

20 minutes ago, gmfc_craig said:

Absolute banter though when someone form the cowshed shouted “you not got shorts that fit you?”

Logan shouts back “No I borrowed your mums” 

🤣👏

Lol. Missed that. 

Delighted to have the four points on the board as every point is a prisoner this season. Let's not forget though that we had four points at the same stage of the season under Gus last season as well. 

It's a good start but if the aim is survival then we really need to continue to pick up points in the coming weeks as it doesn't take long for those four points not to look as promising. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

15 minutes ago, Tubes said:

4 points out of 6 from the first two games is good going with the squad we have. Hopefully we can kick on, and obviously would love a few more signings. 

If we could bring in a striker and a midfielder to replace Muirhead and Blues we would be onto a winner.

Any injuries at all and we are absolutely snookered as the squad is just so thin at the moment.

Harsh on Muirhead and blues as they have both been ok but I understand what you mean. We need quality in for competition in the squad.

I thought Muirhead had a very good 2nd half today. Did exactly what was asked of him by winning or bringing down long balls, using his body well and bringing us up the park. 

I'd be happy if he was that involved every week. 

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

Imrie knows the limitations on this squad so looking at the game and the season so far purely on who is carrying out the instructions he asks for them to carry out on the park, the only three from today that I think will be concerning him on that front are Strapp, Lyon and Kabia. 

Strapp has lost his man at corners the previous two goals we've conceded and then today luckily avoided a red card after dilly dallying on the ball in a dangerous area. Subbed two weeks in a row now and it's too simplistic in my opinion that our player of the year has been subbed early twice to prevent a future red card. 

Lyon has been poor for a while now. Even ignoring the implied criticism of Imrie that he's not moving the ball quick enough, his game intelligence on and off the ball is lacking for a player at this level considering the amount of games he has now played and games pass him by more often than not. You can see why Imrie and other managers have never been able to fully put their trust in him. 

Kabia wasnt awful today by any means, but Imrie has mentioned previously that he wants Kabia to be more direct with his runs and with the ball and I don't think he ever got anywhere near what Imrie expects from him today. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

3 hours ago, Brian Skelton said:

Maybe if we could try and push the boat out a little bit more and add a half decent striker and  a bit of creativity in midfield we can hopefully have a not bad season as the defence looks ok.

I thought the defence looked rotten tbh.  An accident waiting to happen.  Lithgow has to start when fit.

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

2 hours ago, GiGi said:

I thought Muirhead had a very good 2nd half today. Did exactly what was asked of him by winning or bringing down long balls, using his body well and bringing us up the park. 

I'd be happy if he was that involved every week. 

Aye, him and Quitongo look good. Only seen this game but on that showing its an upgrade on Reilly and Ugwu. 

22 minutes ago, Brian Skelton said:

To be fair 2 clean sheets 

The Falkirk game doesn’t really count as Falkirk are total horse.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

1 hour ago, port-ton said:

Kabia wasnt awful today by any means

I can't think of a more accurate description of his performance today tbh. When Lithgow came on we gained two players on the park - one at the back and no-one to watch the ball sail past them in the forward area.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

4 hours ago, Tubes said:

Muirhead was fine today. Got moved about a few times when we changed shape a bit but done OK. Didn't think Blues was terrible either against a pretty decent midfield. 

The problem is that we've not really got anyone to challenge from the bench that can change a game. 

A most welcome three points. Another game another example of the shortcomings in our squad compensated by the work ethic installed in them by Imrie. I thought it looked grim in the first-half as we chased shadows albeit Quitongo missed the best chance to open the scoring. The second-half was an improvement, of sorts, with Cove never at the races. Quitongo does what he does and scores the most difficult chance he had during the game abetted by a nudge which the referee chose to ignore, a bit like the two red cards that he bottled. One minor distraction to comment on was the physical presence of Lithgow contrasting with the discomforting manner in which Logan wears a pair of shorts.

Archived