Match Preview/Thread - Morton vs Bonnyrigg Rose (23rd July) - Page 4 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Match Preview/Thread - Morton vs Bonnyrigg Rose (23rd July)

Admin

47 minutes ago, DreamOakTree said:

Surprising to see so much emphasis on one passage of play where a forward player should’ve passed the ball but decided he would keep his momentum going and maybe grab a goal. I also shouted at him to pass it but wouldn’t include it in a commentary of his overall performance, as it’s something that occurs in every single match at every level. It’s a typical example of Our fans looking for something to criticise and trying to sound smart into the bargain! 
If Dougie’s saying we need to have more of a cutting edge I’m all for it, but I’d bet he’s not focussing all his energy on one moment when a forward tried his luck by continuing a promising run, evidenced by keeping said player on the pitch till the final whistle.

Scenario 1: people are discussing this one passage of play because there's a desperation to find something to criticise

Scenario 2: people are discussing this one passage of play because it happens to be the most prominent example of something which happened several times and therefore is an issue worthy of discussion

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, dunning1874 said:

Scenario 1: people are discussing this one passage of play because there's a desperation to find something to criticise

Scenario 2: people are discussing this one passage of play because it happens to be the most prominent example of something which happened several times and therefore is an issue worthy of discussion

To be fair, DreamOakTree is usually to busy conducting a forensic psychoanalysis of the fanbase and its role in Gary Oliver being shite at football to bother with discussing things that happen in the match.

AWMSC

19 hours ago, EanieMeany said:

To be fair, DreamOakTree is usually to busy conducting a forensic psychoanalysis of the fanbase and its role in Gary Oliver being shite at football to bother with discussing things that happen in the match.

I’m over that now, it was a bit of an angry rant and perhaps a bit unrealistic to expect football fans to back our players no matter how they perform. To clarify: I’m not saying Easdale was great by any means, I’m saying he wasn’t as bad as I’d expected based on opinions on this forum.

McGrattan's movement for both goals is excellent btw, he should be starting next week alongside Lyon and Gillespie/Jacobs; Pignatiello's to get across for his goal is really good too, I reckon we'll see him chip in with a few goals from shots over the season but with that kind of awareness on top of that he could be good for a fairly tidy number. 

Those two players and King are going to be the most interesting to follow across the season, I think. There could be a lot to come from the three of them.

AWMSC

14 minutes ago, EanieMeany said:

McGrattan's movement for both goals is excellent btw, he should be starting next week alongside Lyon and Gillespie/Jacobs; Pignatiello's to get across for his goal is really good too, I reckon we'll see him chip in with a few goals from shots over the season but with that kind of awareness on top of that he could be good for a fairly tidy number. 

Those two players and King are going to be the most interesting to follow across the season, I think. There could be a lot to come from the three of them.

Can’t disagree with your assessment, though I would add that I liked the pressing and tenacity of Garrity and McGregor coming off the bench. They look like they’re doing exactly what Dougie wants - move the ball quickly before the defence get a chance to regroup or organise themselves. I would add them to your group of players to watch.

On 7/23/2022 at 2:25 PM, vikingTON said:

raw.gif

If the board and/or the manager want to fuck about and play what's clearly not our strongest team a week before the league campaign begins, then they're not getting my £12 for the 'privilege' of watching it today.

Did you go?

Did you read that post? 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

It's only inconclusive if your English comprehension skills are at Primary 3 level or lower. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

3 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

It's only inconclusive if your English comprehension skills are at Primary 3 level or lower. 

My English Comprehension skills tell me that a straight question merits a straight answer, otherwise you’ll fail the exam! Trying to be furtive and clever will get you zero out of 10.

The question was answered in the original post, you imbecile. 

While I entirely agree with Imrie that the performance wasn't good enough and it won't do against Championship opposition, I have to say I don't see where he's coming from with the pointed criticism of not moving the ball quickly enough. I thought that midfield three, for all there were other areas to criticise, were all actually very good at this and the tempo was quicker than usual as a result. McGrattan in particular was constantly looking for a quick pass, trying to find a gap, and always moving to show for another pass as soon as he released it. There are absolutely valid criticisms to be made: Lyon disappeared from the game in the second half prior to being subbed, and that happening against a League Two side is reason enough to lose his place in the team this week, but moving the ball slowly is not one of them.

If he was talking about this in relation to Kabia and Quitongo not releasing the ball then that would add up, but when he's talking about saying it "week in, week out", doing so since he took over and being frustrated about it last season as well it's evidently aimed at players who were here then, and the only four of them who started on Saturday are Strapp, Lyon, McGrattan and Easdale, with the latter two not getting nearly enough game time for that criticism to be about them. So while he's not directly named him I think this is, not for the first time, a public call out of Reece Lyon.

It's only reasonable to see how this plays out with Lyon's performances in the long run before judging it as a man-management approach, and as I've said I think Lyon losing his place in the team for Saturday is the right thing to do, between falling out of the game on Saturday, the Clyde game and the emergence of King. It is a bit of an eyebrow raiser that there's one player he's called out like this more than once though: I think this could easily turn into a question about Imrie's man management as much as one about Lyon's mentality.

I think you saw last season with Russell and Jacobs never really getting a look in again after poor performances in Imrie's first game in charge that he's not slow to decide who he can and can't trust, and I hope players in the latter group get the opportunity to win it back. That goes more for Jacobs than Lyon. You do wonder if Gillespie and Blues playing every minute they've been available for while no one else in midfield has and Jacobs has been limited to sub appearances tells you those two are the only midfielders he really trusts and that it's not being treated as new season, clean slate for the others.

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Yeah I honestly can't see where he's coming from with the analysis of the game. We weren't brilliant but we were in total control of the game from start to finish and at no point did Bonnyrigg look like the championship team as he says. I couldn't sit here and question any of the players attitudes during the game either. 

His previous interview he had a little snipe at fans to remember that this is a young team and they'll be inconsistent, so for a complete u-turn on that after a comfortable win is a bit strange to me. 

We do need to be better vs Hamilton though and he knows the players better than we do so if his criticism gets the reaction he wants from the players then great. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

Just listened to the comments there and I understand he wants better from the players and it's nice to see that we don't just accept average performances and he wants the best every game. This is still a young team and obviously need a good few more games until they gel together but Bonnyrigg were woeful and we really should have been putting them to the sword rather than limping to the finish line. 

Not heard anything about other loans or more players coming in and that really worries me if we don't add at least a few more players to this squad with no recognised strikers to score goals and no real creativity in midfield in my opinion this will be another squeaky bum season. 

Given my previous comments no surprise I am pleased to hear Imrie's thoughts. We will not face weaker opposition this season than Bonnyrigg Rose. While we were never really in danger, until we scored the third there was a risk Bonnyrigg could sneak an equalizer (they had a couple of decent chances). While we dominated in the first half the second was a missed opportunity to run up a score. Our distribution/punts from the back was frustrating to watch and I do agree with the inference Lyon never stepped up to the mark. As for new players, with a gate below 1,000 and no new sponsor on the horizon not sure where the money is to fill the gaps in the squad.

4 hours ago, dunning1874 said:

While I entirely agree with Imrie that the performance wasn't good enough and it won't do against Championship opposition, I have to say I don't see where he's coming from with the pointed criticism of not moving the ball quickly enough. I thought that midfield three, for all there were other areas to criticise, were all actually very good at this and the tempo was quicker than usual as a result. McGrattan in particular was constantly looking for a quick pass, trying to find a gap, and always moving to show for another pass as soon as he released it. There are absolutely valid criticisms to be made: Lyon disappeared from the game in the second half prior to being subbed, and that happening against a League Two side is reason enough to lose his place in the team this week, but moving the ball slowly is not one of them.

If he was talking about this in relation to Kabia and Quitongo not releasing the ball then that would add up, but when he's talking about saying it "week in, week out", doing so since he took over and being frustrated about it last season as well it's evidently aimed at players who were here then, and the only four of them who started on Saturday are Strapp, Lyon, McGrattan and Easdale, with the latter two not getting nearly enough game time for that criticism to be about them. So while he's not directly named him I think this is, not for the first time, a public call out of Reece Lyon.

It's only reasonable to see how this plays out with Lyon's performances in the long run before judging it as a man-management approach, and as I've said I think Lyon losing his place in the team for Saturday is the right thing to do, between falling out of the game on Saturday, the Clyde game and the emergence of King. It is a bit of an eyebrow raiser that there's one player he's called out like this more than once though: I think this could easily turn into a question about Imrie's man management as much as one about Lyon's mentality.

I think you saw last season with Russell and Jacobs never really getting a look in again after poor performances in Imrie's first game in charge that he's not slow to decide who he can and can't trust, and I hope players in the latter group get the opportunity to win it back. That goes more for Jacobs than Lyon. You do wonder if Gillespie and Blues playing every minute they've been available for while no one else in midfield has and Jacobs has been limited to sub appearances tells you those two are the only midfielders he really trusts and that it's not being treated as new season, clean slate for the others.

The thing is though, neither was Lyon. Lyon was absolutely key to that early run under Imrie which saw us picking up the serious points until he got that injury up at Inverness. He was obviously struggling with it in the couple of games after, and then soon disappeared altogether so it's pretty absurd to be accusing him of not doing something "week in, week out"...especially when Imrie insisted/insists on playing Blues every minute of every game. We were absolutely crying out for something more in the middle of the pitch on many occasions last season and yet Imrie was refusing to do anything about it, so unless Lyon has done something really egregiously bad, it points more to Imrie getting it wrong than it does anything else. The thing after that Dunfermline game last year was pretty absurd as well, to the point that Imrie himself backtracked on it.

One thing I don't think you can really accuse Lyon of is dillying on the ball (although tbf he done just that to a point in the Clyde game), he's somebody who does want to move it on - a thing that's stuck in my mind was at the end of the last home game last season, Lyon ran right across the pitch almost from touchline to touchline and there was nobody else to be seen, before the ref blew the whistle and Lyon let out an almighty roar of frustration.  If Imrie thinks the midfield isn't moving the ball quickly enough, then he should look at Blues as the principle reason for that instead of constantly having a pop at somebody else. You cannot move the ball quickly if one of your midfielders isn't anywhere to be seen for a pass - this was as much part of the incident that lead to the Clyde goal as anything.

Whilst it would seem that Lyon probably could be pushing himself a bit more and we don't know what goes on behind closed doors etc, and also that this could all turn out to be a managerial masterstroke, I think the indications are as it stands that this whole situation points much more at a rare example of bad management from Imrie. Again, it may well be that Lyon is a player that needs kick up the arse rather than an arm round the shoulder, but as it is it kinda looks more like bad judgement. 

We shall see how it pans out, but I've said it before and I'll say it again: if Imrie thinks he can play Blues in every minute of every game ahead of anybody else no matter how little he does and not even introduce subs on occasion, then he'll only have himself to blame if and when this season goes tits up, especially if he wants to constantly point the finger at other players along the way.

AWMSC

3 hours ago, dunning1874 said:

TL;

Your 15 steps of connection to claim that the post-match comments were aimed at Lyon is unconvincing. The more straightforward version is that the manager was unhappy that Bonnyrigg weren't killed off earlier in the game and wants the whole midfield to improve service in that respect. 

I'm really not sure what your point is regarding Jacobs. If Imrie wants the midfield to prioritise moving the ball quickly to the forward players with accuracy, then Jacobs can't be a part of that team, regardless of it being a new season or not. His distribution of the ball was his biggest issue before signing for us and is not going to get any better at this stage in his career either. 

Jacobs (or more likely his missus) might feel aggrieved by the manager's priority and feel that he can still make a contribution at this level, but if so then they'd be free to look for offers elsewhere. I don't think he'd get in any first team midfield in our division though, so his lot is likely going to be a backup option across a couple of positions. 

On 7/25/2022 at 4:42 PM, vikingTON said:

The question was answered in the original post, you imbecile. 

I think I’ve got it now, I didn’t know the team had been announced by the time of your second post, which I took as meaning if it wasn’t our (or your) strongest 11 then you wouldn’t attend the match. So either as a man of the strongest principle or a lazy bastard looking for an excuse, you decided not to go.

25 minutes ago, DreamOakTree said:

I think I’ve got it now, I didn’t know the team had been announced by the time of your second post, which I took as meaning if it wasn’t our (or your) strongest 11 then you wouldn’t attend the match. So either as a man of the strongest principle or a lazy bastard looking for an excuse, you decided not to go.

I don't think you need much reason to skip attending Cappielow at the moment.

On 7/26/2022 at 9:14 AM, dunning1874 said:

On 7/26/2022 at 1:17 PM, vikingTON said:

Jacobs (or more likely his missus) might feel aggrieved by the manager's priority and feel that he can still make a contribution at this level, but if so then they'd be free to look for offers elsewhere. I don't think he'd get in any first team midfield in our division though, so his lot is likely going to be a backup option across a couple of positions. 

Archived