Match Preview/Thread - Hibs vs Morton (20th July) - Page 4 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Match Preview/Thread - Hibs vs Morton (20th July)

Admin

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I genuinely remember Easdale getting one touch early in first half where he passed it five yards to kabia. Muirhead looked like Mbappe in comparison when he came on. 

Hopefully Quitongo being back keeps him on the bench at best for the foreseeable. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

Just now, TRVMP said:

I was just saying how amazing Schwake was, but it was to someone up my gran's bit.

Let's no get ahead of ourselves. Even Sam Ramsbottom managed two penalty saves in a league Cup group game (after chucking in the goals that forced us into the shootout in thr first place).

Schwake will be absolutely fine. Left badly exposed by OConnor then by Gillespie being too slow on the follow up.

Only realised Blues was on the park when he scored his penalty. Complete passenger 80% of the time he’s played for us. Another two years 🤦🏻‍♂️

Being generous, Schwake will think he should have done better but the goal was exposed and the angle he was at Henderson had the choice of either corner so his body shape wasn't really set up for a shot close to his body. 

I'm not 100% convinced on him so far but I'd say his shot stopping is the thing I'm most confident in from what I've seen of him. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

14 minutes ago, Boogs49 said:

2 penalty saves by Schwake

The new Erik Sorensen…

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

2 hours ago, vikingTON said:

Didn't realise the club put a gun to the manager's head and told him to re-sign the likes of Blues tbh. 

Well no, which is why I said he hasn't helped himself, but even if we were to switch him for somebody good and upgrade on Quitongo and Gillespie, it would still leave us in a less than ideal position with very few senior players. 

If Imrie is going to insist on having Blues as his linchpin though, which it appears he is absolutely determined to do, then I think he better hope he can somehow get a few really exceptional players in elsewhere to try to make up for it, or alternatively get another job soon before we find ourselves in deep trouble by early in the season because his credit from last season will disappear very quickly.

You simply cannot keep playing a guy who'd be lucky to get a game in the fourth tier and think you'll get away with it, especially when we don't have Wilson here to bail him out constantly. It's going to be hard for any of our other midfielders to really get a grip of games if Blues is alongside them: a marauding, all-action figure like Wilson can plug the gaps and do the job of two men but that just isn't the profile of anybody else we have now.

1 hour ago, TRVMP said:

We'll see. I know he's young. But there are alarm bells blaring.

Agreed. I realise this is probably going against the grain a bit, but I actually found that highlights clip of him that was going about quite unconvincing even if there was a few decent stops in it, but you can't really read too much into short clips either way. The signs aren't particularly great so far though, he just doesn't seem at all convincing and going into a season with a 20 year old who's only had one season at third-tier side just seems a really risky strategy.

He seems decent at penalties, tbf, so who knows. It's only a few games in and there's still time for him to settle ahead of the league starting - we'll see how it goes but in all honesty I'd really prefer if this stage of some wee guy's career was somebody else's problem and not ours considering he's not even our own player.

AWMSC

1 hour ago, port-ton said:

King has the potential to be comfortably the best youth product in the past decade for us. The fact he does a job at his age wherever he's asked to play is incredible. 

I just hope he finds a set position in the squad at some point and gets to master it. 

Agreed. The difference in him between his earlier appearances last season and the later ones alone was huge and he looks a lot stronger physically too. Even against Falkirk, he looked a bit uncomfortable for the first half hour or so then once he settled he was excellent - you can see him learning and improvement in real-time, almost, which and some of the things he does with the ball hint at a seriously, seriously good player.

It's obviously very early days for him, but I'm really looking forward to seeing how he progresses over the season. There's signs there that we could have a really special footballer on our hands if he carries on as he is.

AWMSC

Glad we finally showed a bit of spirit and character and we got what we deserved. Hibs may have been slack but that's their problem. Hope we can build on this on Saturday and at least finish the group with a couple of good performances. Still looking short up front and in midfield but the defence is looking better.

Well done to all.

Only saw the first half but looked like we easily dealt with a shite Hibs team at the back, Strapp swanning about like Maldini in his pomp and a ghost jersey rustling about like an empty carrier bag up front. I'm not surprised something happened in the Hibs box when we brought someone on to try and run into it.

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

1 hour ago, Tubes said:

Only realised Blues was on the park when he scored his penalty. Complete passenger 80% of the time he’s played for us. Another two years 🤦🏻‍♂️

It was his cross that was blocked for the penalty and he done OK tonight in general. 

A perfectly pleasant evening - most unexpected after recent performances. Defensively I thought we dealt well with most of what Hibs had to offer, the goal being  a complete dogs breakfast. Midfield worked hard without offering much creativity while up front we were for most of the game playing a man down. I don't have any issue with Easdale but he is clearly out of his depth and it is painful to watch. What was most pleasing was the work rate something I expect from a team with Imrie in charge. With the current squad we don't look like scoring too many but tonight suggests we can grind out results.

A special mention to Usain Bolt, our medic, for the turn of pace to attend to Strapp - I hope he has those legs insured.

Watched the stream and for me I thought cross after cross the 2 centre backs were excellent....that being said was imho more on them for the goal...but I wouldn't be to critical as in the whole they both had 89 mins and more where they looked pretty solid and defensively we looked pretty compact and solid overall.

Easedale.... I wanted to see what all fuss was all about but there must be better footballers up the broomy on a Friday night surely???....he was truly useless and would agree with everything I've read on here....and that was after 10 mins.

Muirhead def made an immediate impact and you have to think he's being nursed back rather than thown in to 3 games in a week with the league very much the managers main focus....which I wouldn't disagree with tbh.

Hopefully a few shillings appear and a loan or 2 in attacking areas can be found...but we're not gonna be playing Hibs every week thankfully!

That wee dinked ball over the top from Strapp before the penalty incident was absolutely exquisite. That's a few times now we've saw him doing that kind of thing, coming across from the left to read a situation and picking out a lovely pass (the win away to Raith late last season being the obvious example) to spring an attack. 

1280579.jpg?b64lines=IExFV0lTIFNUUkFQUC4

I was delighted to have him sign up for another year as it was, but watching him against Falkirk and then last night has just makes you feel we're even more fortunate than we already thought. Anything at this stage of a season needs the "it's early days" caveat" but I reckon we could see Strapp take a huge leap forward this season....which will obviously be his plan and the reason he stayed, but still. Whit a boy 🥰 

AWMSC

Hibs released a statement saying they fielded a suspended player and they have a hearing later today. 

Classic hibs. 

Does that mean we could go through on 7 points just like Hibs could if results went their way? 

32.gif

6 minutes ago, port-ton said:

Hibs released a statement saying they fielded a suspended player and they have a hearing later today. 

Classic hibs. 

Does that mean we could go through on 7 points just like Hibs could if results went their way? 

We need Falkirk to lose to Clyde and a goal swing of 4

Archived