Match Preview/Thread - Clyde vs Morton (16th July) - Page 3 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Match Preview/Thread - Clyde vs Morton (16th July)

Admin

Even with the squad we had to today, we should be beating a clyde team that has shipped 7 goals in the last games. 

The resorting to long balls in to the channels has already got me worried about what we are working on in training and don't get me started on our set pieces today I think we had 5 different players take a corner in the 2nd half and they were all terrible.

Im making perfect sense, your just not keeping up.

My Twitter - 
https://twitter.com/RJChesh

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Incidentally btw, I don’t really see that that starting team should be expected to be comfortably beating a League 1 side, comprising as it did of only Baird, Strapp and Lyon as credible/proven Championship players (the latter of whom barely got on the pitch for months so I guess his status is probably questionable). If we try to go with that in the league, we’ll be gone by Christmas.

AWMSC

21 minutes ago, port-ton said:

There's information I've been told from good sources that I won't get in to, but even avoiding that Gordon Ritchie said at the EGM when asked that Imrie's budget was originally smaller than last year's budget but after investment it would be around the same. 

The sponsorship deal isn't the potential investment in the club. Ritchie said there was a five figure sponsorship deal with a brand that would be our second biggest sponsorship after Mcgills, and that the company wanted to announce it along with the club so he wouldn't say who. There's not been a peep about that deal since and given that was the funds that was supposed to help increase Imrie's budget I'm just wondering what has happened to that sponsorship. 

See edit - we do need to hear more about the sponsorship that hasn't surfaced, I absolutely agree with that.

We've offloaded Gus' 'marquee player' in terms of wages though and Imrie has had the opportunity to trim positions like central midfield to make room for a quality addition within his budget. He didn't do so. A tight budget needs a ruthless eye and I'm disappointed that we have seen too much loyalty being shown off the back of a fleeting run of results last season.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

1 minute ago, EanieMeany said:

Incidentally btw, I don’t really see that that starting team should be expected to be comfortably beating a League 1 side, comprising as it did of only Baird, Strapp and Lyon as credible/proven Championship players (the latter of whom barely got on the pitch for months so I guess his status is probably questionable). If we try to go with that in the league, we’ll be gone by Christmas.

Clyde are a League 1 side in name only and will be struggling badly in that division this season. You mention Lyon but that is exactly the type of player who should be stepping up to dominate and clearly didn't do so - same goes for our two year wonder Blues. Kabia was very disappointing last week and clearly made little impact again today. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

This season is going to be a disaster and given most people's priorities with money will be changing, I can see me saving myself a few quid this year by not bothering with this garbage.

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

Fkn embarrassing result.

Leauge cup over after two games against utter dug shite is just not fkn acceptable. Dougie and the players need to get a grip and fkn quickly. 

They've two games to sort there shit out before the season opener against Hamilton. Another two performances like today and we will be in big trouble. 

A few loan signings and we could have a decent starting 11 one absolutely needs to be a striker coming in to start on the other hand no more additions and it's going to be a long season. 

It's almost like they didn't want the extra £28k we would get for getting out the group (just like the extra prize money we had no interest in last season when fielding a weakened team in the last game rather than going for the win that would have taken us up a position).

Is prize money not allowed to be spent on signings or something...

Just now, Jamie_M said:

It's almost like they didn't want the extra £28k we would get for getting out the group (just like the extra prize money we had no interest in last season when fielding a weakened team in the last game rather than going for the win that would have taken us up a position).

Is prize money not allowed to be spent on signings or something...

Our disinterest in exploiting the League Cup goes back to the Rae/Duffy era - if it weren't for a ringer performance from Quitongo at Rugby Park that one time, our record would be lamentable. 

There's only three best-placed second qualifiers so getting out of the group shouldn't be budgeted for, but our failure is really dismal given we have had all but 2 1/2 players needed to complete our squad.

Chistallfuckingmighty. A day taken off work plus a 600-mile round trip to enjoy seeing the boys get a big win against shite opposition. I really, really wish I'd stayed home. Absolutely fucking gutted. Easdale was like a rabbit in the headlights, and the rest of the team weren't that far behind. Zero commitment, zero passion, very little effort, they just didn't gel as a team. Only upside taken from today was that it can't possibly get any worse.

Can it?

15 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

Our disinterest in exploiting the League Cup goes back to the Rae/Duffy era - if it weren't for a ringer performance from Quitongo at Rugby Park that one time, our record would be lamentable. 

There's only three best-placed second qualifiers so getting out of the group shouldn't be budgeted for, but our failure is really dismal given we have had all but 2 1/2 players needed to complete our squad.

Dismal indeed. 

If they are bleating about budget on one hand, we should be acting like every pound is a prisoner on the other.

Would also help if we weren't still paying for the cost of Gus' preposterous 2 year 'fur the stability' deal.

32 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

Would also help if we weren't still paying for the cost of Gus' preposterous 2 year 'fur the stability' deal.

Indeed, we can only hope that whoever negotiated and/or sanctioned that contract is now nowhere near our club. Or at the very least, not in a position of power or influence

I assume we may see additional loan signings. If not, it sounds as if we are in deep shit. I can understand Dougie writing off the league cup as previous managers also did, but for the league we need our strongest team on the park. If Easdale is in the team at that stage, heaven help us. I assume however that Quitongo will be back for the next game & maybe Muirhead, so maybe all is not lost, but at this stage we should at least be starting to gel - sounds as if that hasn’t happened yet. What’s the betting we beat Hibs?

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

I said last week that pignatiello looked poor although out of position and he looked honking again today in his natural position.  If he is our first choice right back we are in bother.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

22 minutes ago, Mr.Blue said:

I said last week that pignatiello looked poor although out of position and he looked honking again today in his natural position.  If he is our first choice right back we are in bother.

I thought he was our best player today, and was disappointed to see him come off. Admittedly, I’m damning him with faint praise, but there were far worse. Lyon in particular was abysmal.

1 hour ago, Toby said:

I thought he was our best player today, and was disappointed to see him come off. Admittedly, I’m damning him with faint praise, but there were far worse. Lyon in particular was abysmal.

A fair point re lyon mate. I just haven't seen anything pignatiello to merit a start yet.  Hopefully he proves me wrong.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

I'd be absolutely mortified if my wife stuck her oar in publicly over my career. I mean, loyalty is to be commended. But there are ways and means of going about showing it.

EOho8Pw.png

5 hours ago, Mr.Blue said:

A fair point re lyon mate. I just haven't seen anything pignatiello to merit a start yet.  Hopefully he proves me wrong.

He played centre back last week alongside Strapp in a ten man team and was fine. Whereas Baird's glorious return was immediately marked by us being carved open and conceding two penalties (one saved) and two goals regardless to a truly rancid outfit. 

20 hours ago, GiGi said:

This season is going to be a disaster and given most people's priorities with money will be changing, I can see me saving myself a few quid this year by not bothering with this garbage.

As we’re effectively out of the League Cup, I’ll probably patch the Bonnyrigg game and save the money for the league opener. Like everyone else, I’m having to do and bit of ducking and diving.

Lyon's lack of awareness in turning right into the tackle for the first goal is concerning, but from that angle it looks like a howler from Schwake to be beaten at his near post.

The first penalty is simply far too easy for them to get in on the goalkeeper with one simple ball from in front of our midfield. The second is just naivety from King, which is going to happen with a 17 year old who's had three starts in his career, but it's also far too easy for them to get that far in the first place. Hynes vanishes.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Archived