Match Preview/Thread - Morton vs Falkirk (9th July) - Page 3 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Match Preview/Thread - Morton vs Falkirk (9th July)

Admin

Both the Falkirk centre halves throwing albums every time there's a ball in the air. Not one foul.

Quitongo goes in (aggressively albeit) on a 50/50 ball, the defender doesn't have possession, and gets a red. It wasn't a wise choice but it was a easy yellow card. The ref has made it all about himself today.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't have any worries at the time of the challenge that he was going to be sent off. I hoped he wasn't going to be booked for it, it looked like one he might get booked for if the ref was a card-happy one. I only saw it on the stream, but I either must have really missed something about the contact or the ref has made a bad decision. I thought it was clumsy, he seemed to get his legs tangled up when he stopped and collided shin on shin - maybe I didn't see it right. 

9 minutes ago, SpoonTon said:

Ref evened things up with another dubious red. 

Yep he even got that one wrong. Would never have given a red if he hadn't fucked up the first one.

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

18 minutes ago, SpoonTon said:

I didn't have any worries at the time of the challenge that he was going to be sent off. I hoped he wasn't going to be booked for it, it looked like one he might get booked for if the ref was a card-happy one. I only saw it on the stream, but I either must have really missed something about the contact or the ref has made a bad decision. I thought it was clumsy, he seemed to get his legs tangled up when he stopped and collided shin on shin - maybe I didn't see it right. 

Exactly how I saw it. Any "injury" was a result of a turned ankle from the tangle of legs. Never a red. 

Falkirk one was a red. But of a cliche here to use as reasoning l, but not one Falkirk player protested it

2 hours ago, dunning1874 said:

The far more likely explanation is that in addition to the already known injury for Lithgow and suspensions for Baird & Gillespie, O'Connor, Jacobs, Muirhead and Easdale are also all injured too.

Making a point in the dead rubber at Arbroath is one thing; deliberately leaving anyone out of the squad for this game to only have one sub would be an absolutely disgraceful thing for a manager to do and I don't believe it for a second.

Imrie is quite clearly making a point and the interview with Young is what he was looking for as well. Whether you think he has a case or not, there *are* regens who could fill a bench and he has chosen not to do that. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

I'm not looking much into that game today. We had a number of players missing through injuries and suspension and I do feel Dougie was trying to make a point with only naming one sub. We had a couple of chances to win that game with lyon hitting the bar and blues taking too many touches in the box. Positives were :

Schwake looks like he will be a more than ample replacement for Hamilton.

Defence looked solid enough. King and strapp had good games. 

Midfield was ok and we tried to play football through blues and lyon. 

Quitongo looked lively until his red card.

Really don't think we need to panic here. There will absolutely be additions to the squad more than likely through the loan market. 

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

Defence and our general shape was good, but our use of the ball was dreadful. Both passing and from set pieces (constant throw-ins to nobody).

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Wasn't expecting much today looking at the team and the amount of injuries and suspensions we had. 

I thought the red card was harsh but Quitongo doesn't need to go steaming in like he did stupid late challenge and you give the ref a decision to make even if he was honking all game. Thought McGregor looked decent when he came in on really good pace and could be a useful option from the bench. 

Schwake dealt with most things well and I was impressed with him. We are still a long way from where we need to be and really need some more creativity in midfield and a real goal threat up top thought defence looked decent considering who we had missing. Hope Imrie can pull something out the back and get some more signings through the door we really need a better cutting edge if we're going to do anything this season. 

1 minute ago, RossMcC1874 said:

Wasn't expecting much today looking at the team and the amount of injuries and suspensions we had. 

I thought the red card was harsh but Quitongo doesn't need to go steaming in like he did stupid late challenge and you give the ref a decision to make even if he was honking all game. Thought McGregor looked decent when he came in on really good pace and could be a useful option from the bench. 

Schwake dealt with most things well and I was impressed with him. We are still a long way from where we need to be and really need some more creativity in midfield and a real goal threat up top thought defence looked decent considering who we had missing. Hope Imrie can pull something out the back and get some more signings through the door we really need a better cutting edge if we're going to do anything this season. 

Agree with most of this but I'm quite happy for Quitongo to leave something on one of those cunts in a League Cup game. He'll never get a better opportunity in a competitive match to bury one of them. 

Their forward left something on Strapp ten minutes before but got away with it because Strapp didn't roll around on the floor like a pussy and McGinn wasn't orchestrating the referee like a puppet.

Bit of a mixed bag, but there was plenty of good signs for what it was.

The defence was pretty solid, especially with it being somewhat cobbled together. I thought Pignatiello looked promising, played some really good balls over the top and looked steady and composed all round so it'll be good to see him playing on the right. He seems to be really good at kicking a ball, as daft as that sort of sounds. Hynes done pretty well, and King is a really intriguing player. In his appearances towards the end of last season he had came on leaps and bounds from earlier in the season, then today I thought he looked a bit uncomfortable and ill at ease at left-back in the first half but once he settled he done really well - seems he's someone with a lot more still to come and a quick learner, so it'll be interesting to see how he gets on over the season. Lewis Strapp simply strolled through proceedings like the colossus he is - we are incredibly fortunate to have him for another year. 

In midfield, Lyon looked like the player we know he can be, and McGrattan is a player I really like the look of. He's still a bit rough round the edges and will probably take a wee bit of time to fully find his feet as a senior player but there's an intelligence and a wee touch of quality about him, as well as being surprisingly strong - I enjoyed the wee incident in the centre circle in the first half when he absolutely smashed into a Falkirk player, was a challenge that you probably have to go in hard for or you'd risk getting hurt (or just not go for it at all) but he made absolutely sure their player was getting a wallop. That's what you want to see, taking no prisoners and not being scared to put yourself about. Any squad grievances are, frankly, hugely tempered by giving Cameron Blues a two year deal.

Up front Quitongo done not very much and was involved in a few things and should probably have had an early booking for a tug of a shirt as they tried to break, and there was always a sense that there was likely to be some kind of flashpoint between him and their defender who was constantly sticking shoulders and elbows out when Jai was trying to close down. From where I was standing it looked like just brainlessly went careering in for a ball that he was never going to win and can have no serious complaints about it, but could do with seeing it again. 

Kabia was excellent, was forced to drift around more than he probably wants to but he had loads of really nice touches and if we can get him playing with a focal point in the middle of the attack he should be a cracking asset. Garrity didn't really have much of an impact, but again it was difficult circumstances so you can't really read much into that, whilst McGregor was very impressive from the bench.

All in all not a bad day's work in the circumstances and there's a pretty decent batch of players there, but not enough of them and we quite simply need several more if it's going to be a competitive team at the right end of the table.

AWMSC

39 minutes ago, EanieMeany said:

Bit of a mixed bag, but there was plenty of good signs for what it was.

The defence was pretty solid, especially with it being somewhat cobbled together. I thought Pignatiello looked promising, played some really good balls over the top and looked steady and composed all round so it'll be good to see him playing on the right. He seems to be really good at kicking a ball, as daft as that sort of sounds. Hynes done pretty well, and King is a really intriguing player. In his appearances towards the end of last season he had came on leaps and bounds from earlier in the season, then today I thought he looked a bit uncomfortable and ill at ease at left-back in the first half but once he settled he done really well - seems he's someone with a lot more still to come and a quick learner, so it'll be interesting to see how he gets on over the season. Lewis Strapp simply strolled through proceedings like the colossus he is - we are incredibly fortunate to have him for another year. 

In midfield, Lyon looked like the player we know he can be, and McGrattan is a player I really like the look of. He's still a bit rough round the edges and will probably take a wee bit of time to fully find his feet as a senior player but there's an intelligence and a wee touch of quality about him, as well as being surprisingly strong - I enjoyed the wee incident in the centre circle in the first half when he absolutely smashed into a Falkirk player, was a challenge that you probably have to go in hard for or you'd risk getting hurt (or just not go for it at all) but he made absolutely sure their player was getting a wallop. That's what you want to see, taking no prisoners and not being scared to put yourself about. Any squad grievances are, frankly, hugely tempered by giving Cameron Blues a two year deal.

Up front Quitongo done not very much and was involved in a few things and should probably have had an early booking for a tug of a shirt as they tried to break, and there was always a sense that there was likely to be some kind of flashpoint between him and their defender who was constantly sticking shoulders and elbows out when Jai was trying to close down. From where I was standing it looked like just brainlessly went careering in for a ball that he was never going to win and can have no serious complaints about it, but could do with seeing it again. 

Kabia was excellent, was forced to drift around more than he probably wants to but he had loads of really nice touches and if we can get him playing with a focal point in the middle of the attack he should be a cracking asset. Garrity didn't really have much of an impact, but again it was difficult circumstances so you can't really read much into that, whilst McGregor was very impressive from the bench.

All in all not a bad day's work in the circumstances and there's a pretty decent batch of players there, but not enough of them and we quite simply need several more if it's going to be a competitive team at the right end of the table.

I thought pignatiello was our poorest player. Kabia I thought looked like he was going through the motions. The heat and the lack of subs wouldn't have helped. Happy to give it time.

35 minutes ago, Mr.Blue said:

I thought pignatiello was our poorest player. Kabia I thought looked like he was going through the motions. The heat and the lack of subs wouldn't have helped. Happy to give it time.

I guess if he was intended to be a central defender then Carlo’s performance would have been a bit concerning and I wouldn’t like to have to rely on him playing there regularly, but in the context I felt like you could see the attributes of a good player/full-back. I reckon he’ll be capable of producing good balls into the box in particular, so with him on one side and Strapp on the other that should be a fruitful area for us.

As for Kabia, he looked like he was carrying a wee niggle and got a knock in the second half too which he visibly struggled with at times. Again, it was a tricky game for him with how it panned out so between that and having to protect himself due to the lack of subs then I think he done very well indeed. I’m quite looking forward to seeing more of him, he and Muirhead could be a pretty promising (and probably very frustrating at times, you have to say….) pairing.

AWMSC

Shite and the league Cup is now gone as far as we are concerned. 

What a pathetic state to be in can't fill a bench cause all the 18s were fkn punted (that's a separate issue) 

Let's hope come July 31st we are back to a full squad. Take nothing away fron the guys today they played a league 1 team and had zero problems. There's no way though you can rely on them for more than a couple of games in the championship without problems coming our way. 

1 hour ago, gmfc23 said:

Shite and the league Cup is now gone as far as we are concerned. 

What a pathetic state to be in can't fill a bench cause all the 18s were fkn punted (that's a separate issue) 

Let's hope come July 31st we are back to a full squad. Take nothing away fron the guys today they played a league 1 team and had zero problems. There's no way though you can rely on them for more than a couple of games in the championship without problems coming our way. 

Settle the duck down. Its the first competitive game of the season. I'd rather be in our position than Falkirks who must be close to a complete squad.

30 minutes ago, Mr.Blue said:

Settle the duck down. Its the first competitive game of the season. I'd rather be in our position than Falkirks who must be close to a complete squad.

That's completely missing the fkn point. 

And if that's your lofty standards that were in a better shape than Falkirk are then we're already fkd. 

For me, today was a bit like watching a V8 engine firing on 4 cylinders. Way more to come once the other cylinders come on song and the engine management software sorts itself out. Today was all about potential. Calm, calm, calm.

5 hours ago, gmfc23 said:

That's completely missing the fkn point. 

And if that's your lofty standards that were in a better shape than Falkirk are then we're already 

Feel free to elaborate on the point then.

And no its not my standard at all. More an example of the alternative position that we could be in. 

Pignatiello and King were both really good on the day. Strapp looked the class above that he actually is. Falkirk are complete muck and there's no way they're escaping the seaside league any time soon.

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

A look back at our lineup from our first competitive game we played last year, when covid hit us rather than injuries and suspensions.

E6MXI4qWQAQVT9F.jpeg

Starting 4 kids with 4 other ringer kids on the bench. 

Compared to yesterday. The only thing missing is the ringers.

20220710_201031.jpg

Archived