Why do you hate Partick Thistle? - Page 7 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Why do you hate Partick Thistle?

It’s not just the manner of the defenestration of Partick’s promotion hopes that lifts the spirits - the injury time goal to level the tie - but also the tears & snotters emanating from Maryhill. How many fingers are you sticking up now, Brian? Must be a bit like getting elbowed in the face, eh? Something at which you do excel.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

Just sat down with a coffee after dropping my boys off at school, flick Sky Sports News on and first thing they show is highlights from Ross Co v Partick. 

Absolutely delightful stuff. Nice way to start my day off. 

I was so busy yesterday I completely forgot about the game! Waking up to this news is absolutely glorious!

Will be interesting to see what effect this has on them for next season and how it affects who stays and who leaves their squad.

here today, gone to hell

He's lucky he's played the amount of games he has considering he's quite suspect to throwing elbows at opposition defenders.

After the 2-1 loss at Firhill in January he shat himself when Grimmy got a hold of him. Let's hope Dougie brings in a proper shithouse player next season who will give him a few whacks over the course of the season.

• Like 1

On 2/14/2023 at 10:21 AM, Jamie_M said:

Aye, not in this statement but delving further paints an awkward picture for them.

They made a bottom line operating loss for FY21/22 of £215k (which was propped up by Director handouts and Queens Park groundshare income which they won't have in the next accounts).  Their true operating loss level without that non-recurring income was closer to £500k for each of 21/22 and 20/21.

Their board has continued to spunk money at the same level since, even actually voting to increase the playing budget, and set a budget banking on promotion for this season.

Their cash reserves fell to £330k, the lowest level since 2016.

Interesting that you made the Morton comparison. The Jags Foundation also made the Morton comparison, giving us an honourable mention in their assessment of their accounts, highlighting that they were looking worse than us at a time when our financial situation was being well documented.

Screenshot_20230214_095311_Samsung Notes.jpg

The outgoing board wouldn't let anyone do any due diligence ahead of the share transfer. They also did some smoke and mirrors tactic of using a different method to evaluate the fixed assets like the stadium (rebuild cost rather than market value) to inflate them in these accounts so they would paint a rosier picture to fans.

There's more skeletons to be found in there for sure.

Having previously reported that their cash reserves were almost depleted, that the old board had bet it all on red by budgeting for promotion and that they needed directors loans to see out the season, a £280k loss is going to sting (although could have been worse without bonus cup income).

Reduced budget for next season likely and the vultures circling to strip their squad. 

https://ptfc.co.uk/ptfc-news/club-update-7th-june-2023/

"If it had not been for a penalty shoot-out victory and a fortunate Scottish Cup draw, the February wages would not have been able to be paid."

https://thejagsfoundation.co.uk/reaction-to-ptfc-statement-regarding-financial-situation/

They also needed donations to pay May's wages.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65833197

Edited by Jamie_M
  • Like 1

They've staggered through it, can immediately start selling season tickets & will get through for now. Looks like they've only a small wage bill over the summer anyway. Hopefully they have a fire sale & have to shop in the bargain basement next year. (Personally I hope they try the same thing again, after all, it came within a minute of working.....).

Not sure what I'd enjoy more..... for them just to go bust now and get it over and done with, or for them to stumble on and get relegated next season to their rightful place on League 1, and remain there indefinitely along with that other permadiddy outfit from Grangemeouth.

Both outcomes are highly possible and would of course be hilarious, but not just sure which one would be the most. Thoughts?

Edited by Cet Homme Charmant

All good in theory, but so long as they cut costs they'll be fine I think. Meanwhile, we're not minted either, only a bad season or two away from the same struggles. Or basically where we started last season.

• Upvote 1

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg