Championship 2022/23 - Page 9 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Championship 2022/23

Jamie_M

If they do go up, I wonder if they will look to use Hampden next season rather than their new 1500 capacity Lego stadium.

The money they would make from travelling supports would be massive.

They have Inverness and Dundee away next. If they come away with 6 points from that, they will be very difficult to catch.

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Madton said:

If they do go up, I wonder if they will look to use Hampden next season rather than their new 1500 capacity Lego stadium.

Aye I'm sure that Livingston will take at least 10,000 there to play another stupid jumped-up outfit. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

6 minutes ago, Madton said:

Almost as if there are more teams than just Livvy in the top flight...

And how many of those will be taking supports sufficient to make 'massive' amounts of money? 

I don't see flogging a couple of games to the bigots or Aberdeen at a push doing much for Partick or indeed Hamilton these days. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

13 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

And how many of those will be taking supports sufficient to make 'massive' amounts of money? 

I don't see flogging a couple of games to the bigots or Aberdeen at a push doing much for Partick or indeed Hamilton these days. 

Both hearts and Hibs would take allocations far bigger than the capacity of lesser Hampden.. 

TIME FOR CHANGE!

1 hour ago, vikingTON said:

Aye I'm sure that Livingston will take at least 10,000 there to play another stupid jumped-up outfit. 

1 hour ago, vikingTON said:

The two games they played Rangers at Hampden in Division 3 were about equivalent to about 4 or 5 years normal attendances - even though I'd doubt they'd get those numbers again, there would still be big visiting numbers. I'd guess that coming to an arrangement to play at Hampden for occasional matches would be something which they'd look into - but I don't know if that's possible*. From a footballing point of view (and other reasons) there's advantages to not doing it, but you can't deny there's potential for quite a bit of extra income there. 

*Reminds me of when Hugh Scott tried to get our cup tie against Rangers moved to Hampden instead of Love Street. 

I don't think clubs can just move league fixtures around between grounds like that.  They have to nominate the ground where they will be playing their home games and I think it's done on a half season or full season basis.  Other teams might not agree to the venue being changed to suit QP's wishes.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

10 minutes ago, Alibi said:

I don't think clubs can just move league fixtures around between grounds like that.  They have to nominate the ground where they will be playing their home games and I think it's done on a half season or full season basis.  Other teams might not agree to the venue being changed to suit QP's wishes.

QP already challenging that theory having started this season at Stenny, moved to Hampden, back to Stenny and still hopeful of using Lesser.

Cunts should be docked points for every fixture they can't fulfill at their nominated home ground. Never bigger chancers as a club than Queen's park down the years. 

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

8 minutes ago, Alibi said:

The rules say: No Club shall play its Home matches at any ground other than its Registered Ground without first obtaining the written approval of the Board.

I mean, I'd guess that "we want a bigger away crowd for x match" on it's own isn't going to be good enough reason to get that permission. 

4 hours ago, TONofmemories said:

Both hearts and Hibs would take allocations far bigger than the capacity of lesser Hampden.. 

They'd also take far more than the capacity of that glorified bus stop to Cappielow, Somerset or Dens' Park. Or New Douglas Park and Firhill before their shite teams got dumped out of the top flight not too long ago. 

The idea that QP are somehow going to get a unique windfall from promotion is nonsense, even if you presume that they would be allowed to play at Hampden. 

18 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

They'd also take far more than the capacity of that glorified bus stop to Cappielow, Somerset or Dens' Park. Or New Douglas Park and Firhill before their shite teams got dumped out of the top flight not too long ago. 

The idea that QP are somehow going to get a unique windfall from promotion is nonsense, even if you presume that they would be allowed to play at Hampden. 

I'm not advocating that they do, merely pointing out that both Edinburgh teams, which you failed to mention, would take a far bigger support than the capacity of lesser Hampden. As in, sell Lesser Hampden out probably twice over.

TIME FOR CHANGE!

Morton would sell out the capacity of Lesser Hampden as it is currently modelled. 

Hibs and Hearts would take the same maximum support to any of the other clubs in the top half of the Championship right now, as they would to the Govanhill Gretna. They're a completely irrelevant factor then. 

6 hours ago, Madton said:

They have Inverness and Dundee away next. If they come away with 6 points from that, they will be very difficult to catch.

Was thinking this the other night when watching a game that had been shifted to a bigger ground nearby. I'd fully expect that mob to try to pull that one and tbh I wouldn't be too surprised if they were allowed to do so, but they should be told to ram it in no uncertain terms.

If they do go up there'll no doubt be all sorts of noise about it, but ultimately there's not really any special going on - with Arbroath there was a genuine sense of them having done/been close to doing something extraordinary, but not so much with Queen's Park. Pump a bit of money into a team in this league that's even passingly well managed and which isn't Dundee and they'll almost certainly get promoted, there's no romance or fairytale story going on.

AWMSC

It happens in every country, a small team gets bankrolled to the top. Nothing really embarrassing about it.

Bournemouth are obviously very well-managed, with good recruitment and coaching, but they still spent an absolute fortune getting to the top flight (and indeed breached FFP rules while still in the Championship.)

In France a few years ago Gazelec had a tiny budget but still far bigger than their modest means, hence they collapsed into the regional leagues shortly after their Ligue 1 adventure.

Hoffenheim is a tiny village and while they have a big catchment area, traditionally it's not "theirs" and if they were still playing regionally that would be the case. 

Casa Pia in Portugal, Monza to an extent in Italy, Arsenal in Argentina, Unirea Urziceni (remember them? They horsed Rangers) in Romania, Groclin in Poland... it's just the nature of having open promotion and relegation.

The alternative is the US model or returning to the 'election' model of the old SFL. I'd rather take the jumped-up diddy clubs occasionally getting above their station.

edit: Plus it's worth remembering that only by wee teams going up can big teams come down. If you're Scottish it's hilarious watching Hearts and Rangers and Hibs faff about in the Championship. I imagine Spaniards enjoy Zaragoza's multi-year trainwreck (incredibly they're now in their 10th consecutive Segunda season.) Schalke, Werder Bremen, Hamburg (still in the 2. Bundesliga!)... St. Etienne are in real danger of falling to the third tier in France... and of course the likes of Leeds and Sunderland in England. These are part of what make football so fascinating, these tales of clubs ending up in such weird divisions.

EOho8Pw.png

46 minutes ago, TRVMP said:

It happens in every country, a small team gets bankrolled to the top. Nothing really embarrassing about it.

Bournemouth are obviously very well-managed, with good recruitment and coaching, but they still spent an absolute fortune getting to the top flight (and indeed breached FFP rules while still in the Championship.)

In France a few years ago Gazelec had a tiny budget but still far bigger than their modest means, hence they collapsed into the regional leagues shortly after their Ligue 1 adventure.

Hoffenheim is a tiny village and while they have a big catchment area, traditionally it's not "theirs" and if they were still playing regionally that would be the case. 

Casa Pia in Portugal, Monza to an extent in Italy, Arsenal in Argentina, Unirea Urziceni (remember them? They horsed Rangers) in Romania, Groclin in Poland... it's just the nature of having open promotion and relegation.

The alternative is the US model or returning to the 'election' model of the old SFL. I'd rather take the jumped-up diddy clubs occasionally getting above their station.

edit: Plus it's worth remembering that only by wee teams going up can big teams come down. If you're Scottish it's hilarious watching Hearts and Rangers and Hibs faff about in the Championship. I imagine Spaniards enjoy Zaragoza's multi-year trainwreck (incredibly they're now in their 10th consecutive Segunda season.) Schalke, Werder Bremen, Hamburg (still in the 2. Bundesliga!)... St. Etienne are in real danger of falling to the third tier in France... and of course the likes of Leeds and Sunderland in England. These are part of what make football so fascinating, these tales of clubs ending up in such weird divisions.

Another issue in Europe is small teams being bought over by mostly Asian companies as a way if getting their Academy graduates into Europe, and turbo charging them up the leagues. An example being Eupen in Belgium who come from a town of about 20,000 inhabitants and compete in the top league in front of one man and his dug. They're owned by Qataris who use the club mostly for their African graduates, and their squad includes players from Ghana, Ivory Coast, Guinea, Mali, Senegal and Cameroon. Their business model is to eventually sell them on for profit.

21 minutes ago, Toby said:

That Ewan Cameron’s an absolute bell, but I suppose even a broken clock is right once a day.

No disagreements here. Just saw it on twitter and was pleased to hear at least a bit of the alternative view rather than the fairytale pish.

11 minutes ago, Cet Homme Charmant said:

Another issue in Europe is small teams being bought over by mostly Asian companies as a way if getting their Academy graduates into Europe, and turbo charging them up the leagues. An example being Eupen in Belgium who come from a town of about 20,000 inhabitants and compete in the top league in front of one man and his dug. They're owned by Qataris who use the club mostly for their African graduates, and their squad includes players from Ghana, Ivory Coast, Guinea, Mali, Senegal and Cameroon. Their business model is to eventually sell them on for profit.

Like Hong Kong mob who wanted to buy Raith last week - to pump in some youth players (via that EvoPro mob Morton played some friendlies against a few years ago).

I don't have the same level of hatred towards Queens Park as others here, I've had friends play for them and been to a few games as a result. However, a team having a stadium with 1,800 seats is an embarrassment in our division - a team having a 1,800 seat shoebox in the Premiership would be an absolute disgrace.

Willie Haughey's plan is for 10 years, they will plummet after that. 

Archived