Championship 2022/23 - Page 15 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Championship 2022/23

Jamie_M

16 minutes ago, dunning1874 said:

Most recent example is 18/19 when Celtic beat 6th placed Hearts in the final. Hearts didn't get into Europe, with 4th placed Aberdeen qualifying instead.

I’ll take that as the only consolation from a fucking horrible evening.

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They got rid of the runners-up thing quite a while back. It was mental back in the 90s because even the League Cup runner-up could get into Europe. That's how Raith qualified and had that memorable lead at the old Olympiastadion in Munich.

EOho8Pw.png

6 hours ago, TRVMP said:

They got rid of the runners-up thing quite a while back. It was mental back in the 90s because even the League Cup runner-up could get into Europe. That's how Raith qualified and had that memorable lead at the old Olympiastadion in Munich.

Raith qualified by winning the League Cup in 1994. That route was blocked years ago, costing St. Mirren a place in Europe in 2013, whilst Scottish Cup runners-up Hibs qualified and proceeded to lose 0-9 to Malmo, which was a real shame all round.

8 hours ago, TRVMP said:

I think it was after Gretna in 2006 and Queen of the South in 2008 got to the cup final that the rules were changed to prevent lower league clubs getting into Europe. The narrative was that it was embarrassing for Scottish football. Not half as embarrassing as some of the doings our “elite” teams have had since then in European competitions. European football was a lot more fun when there was no seeding. In fact our own football would benefit from a genuine level playing field rather than giving the usual suspects a free pass to the money stages.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

20 hours ago, Jamie_M said:

Dundee dick Ayr 3-1 in  the game in hand.

While draws might still be worth courting, it's probably for the best. Ayr and Partick our most likely targets now.

Thought this when I saw the result. Looking like 3rd/4th our target now so that result was probably the best one for us

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

We seem to have a problem playing teams whose name begins with A.  Against Arbroath, we've taken 2 points out of 12, and that includes 2 home defeats.  Against Ayr, we're so far taken 1 point from 9, again including 2 home defeats.

So far, we haven't lost to Queens Park or Dundee.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

23 minutes ago, Alibi said:

Against Arbroath, we've taken 2 points out of 12, and that includes 2 home defeats.

3 years. We haven't beaten them in 3 full years. The sooner they are dumped back to heir natural level the better.

9 hours ago, Alibi said:

We seem to have a problem playing teams whose name begins with A.  Against Arbroath, we've taken 2 points out of 12, and that includes 2 home defeats.  Against Ayr, we're so far taken 1 point from 9, again including 2 home defeats.

So far, we haven't lost to Queens Park or Dundee.

It’s the alphabet soup Morton players take at the training ground!

16 minutes ago, The Bewilderedbeast said:

Ayr 3-0 v Cove 

ICT 1-Partick. ICT down to 10 men 

Arbroath 1-0 v Q. Park

Ayr dropping points and thqt would have been a good night for us.

And lol at partick

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

Play-off spot within our own hands again. Has the postponed Hamilton game been rescheduled yet - I don't think we need to wait on their Europa League run to end before putting that on the cards.

After the most ridiculous soft-touch March fixture list, Queens Park's run-in from here is an absolute nightmare for them. You would absolutely hate to see them bottle it, slither into the playoffs and crash and burn from here. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Strangely enough, the pundits’ claims that the Friday night games are a great opportunity to get the 3 points then put their feet up and watch their rivals’ Saturday results come in, have been overturned a bit recently. 

If one of your rivals don’t get the result on the Friday, it creates an opportunity to catch up with them on the Saturday! Fingers crossed that’s what happens to Ayr tomorrow night!

Archived