Championship 2022/23 - Page 11 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Championship 2022/23

Jamie_M

On 1/11/2023 at 6:53 PM, TRVMP said:

It happens in every country, a small team gets bankrolled to the top. Nothing really embarrassing about it.

Bournemouth are obviously very well-managed, with good recruitment and coaching, but they still spent an absolute fortune getting to the top flight (and indeed breached FFP rules while still in the Championship.)

In France a few years ago Gazelec had a tiny budget but still far bigger than their modest means, hence they collapsed into the regional leagues shortly after their Ligue 1 adventure.

Hoffenheim is a tiny village and while they have a big catchment area, traditionally it's not "theirs" and if they were still playing regionally that would be the case. 

Casa Pia in Portugal, Monza to an extent in Italy, Arsenal in Argentina, Unirea Urziceni (remember them? They horsed Rangers) in Romania, Groclin in Poland... it's just the nature of having open promotion and relegation.

The alternative is the US model or returning to the 'election' model of the old SFL. I'd rather take the jumped-up diddy clubs occasionally getting above their station.

edit: Plus it's worth remembering that only by wee teams going up can big teams come down. If you're Scottish it's hilarious watching Hearts and Rangers and Hibs faff about in the Championship. I imagine Spaniards enjoy Zaragoza's multi-year trainwreck (incredibly they're now in their 10th consecutive Segunda season.) Schalke, Werder Bremen, Hamburg (still in the 2. Bundesliga!)... St. Etienne are in real danger of falling to the third tier in France... and of course the likes of Leeds and Sunderland in England. These are part of what make football so fascinating, these tales of clubs ending up in such weird divisions.

The bit in bold.  :thumbup2: :thumbup2:

*insert signature here*

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just found out w

Just found out when I switched on the telly.

Didnt know the game was on Alba.

OK,,,,,,,,everyone calls it the diddy-cup etc...etc..

The fact of the matter is (across competitions) Hamilton Academicals are on a run and I was a wee bit (excuse me...I'm g

onnae explode) surprised to hear that Reghan Tumilty today signed for Hamilton (surely to god Dougie knew about this or was it because we had already signed Waters?

* Asteroid inbound. 

Why would we sign a right back with no left foot to replace an injured left back when neither of two right backs already at the club can play left back either?

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

We certainly don't need Tumilty when we have Grimshaw plus cover, but Tumilty is a decent enough signing for Hamilton.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

On 1/13/2023 at 4:34 PM, Jamie_M said:

Hamilton game in March moved to the Friday. Probably with Scotland game in mind.

On 1/13/2023 at 5:01 PM, SassenachTon said:

Was planning to head up for this on the Saturday, but was warned by @Tobyawhile ago that it was likely to get moved because of the Scotland game. Good shout bud, and thanks again.

Might move again as Hamilton are in the SPFL Trust Trophy final, provisionally scheduled for that weekend.

On 1/11/2023 at 2:15 PM, TONofmemories said:

I'm not advocating that they do, merely pointing out that both Edinburgh teams, which you failed to mention, would take a far bigger support than the capacity of lesser Hampden. As in, sell Lesser Hampden out probably twice over.

So what?

Fuck them.  Its their own fault for not having a big enough stadium to accomodate them.

*insert signature here*

On 2/8/2023 at 11:40 AM, Jamie_M said:

Might move again as Hamilton are in the SPFL Trust Trophy final, provisionally scheduled for that weekend.

@SassenachTon

Confirmed that the SPFL Trust Trophy final will be on Sunday 26th March, so our game against Hamilton on Friday 24th is likely to be moved again.

After Ayr fans creaming themselves following last night's scores, they are currently losing at home to Partick Thistle.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

Accies ahead at Inverness.

This league is mental.

Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

9 minutes ago, DreamOakTree said:

I’m not sure what thread to ask this question on: Do we still have the tradition of attending the final away match of the season wearing fancy dress? I have a close friend in Cove who asked if I’ll be going to Cove v Ton in the final match, which brought this to mind.

Be interesting to see what sort of support we take, given that it's now on a Friday evening.

Hamilton 3-0 up in Inverness. 🤨

Just now, SassenachTon said:

Ayr 0 Partick 1. The best possible result for us, and especially after Queens also dropping points.

A draw would actually have been better, but the Little People's stupid wee 'title push' being derailed is no bad thing at all. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Archived