Championship 2022/23 - Page 17 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Championship 2022/23

Jamie_M

3 hours ago, DreamOakTree said:

Is that so wrong?

Ay a time when we are - for a change - tending in the right direction, with both a manager and a board who are clearly driven and professional... yes, it is a bit. Coming up with bizarre scenarios where the manager has it in for young Greenockians and the Board doesn't want top flight football is, if not actively damaging, at least not helping. For the first time in a very, very long while there is actual professionalism and forward motion at Cappielow. If there's ever a time to forgive rookie mistakes of the manager and board, this is it. They've more than earned the benefit of the doubt. Yes, we all want top flight football, we all want not to be losing late goals to shan teams, we all want not to be struggling against Arbroath. The question is - can the people at Cappielow now address that? My firm belief is that they can - and not only that, but that they're better equipped to do so than most who came before them. 

Criticize poor decisions, boo bad performances - 100 percent fine. But this stuff about the manager and/or l board sabotaging the season quite simply is wrong and you should cut it out. 

EOho8Pw.png

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, DreamOakTree said:

You’re entitled to expressing your point of view, as hopefully I am too, on a fans’ forum which exists for that sole purpose.

Please don’t let any pseudo intellectuals ever attempt to prevent you, me or any Morton fan doing likewise. Using that platform I would say that you’re of the under achieving mentality, as I don’t see any evidence of greatness that we should glean from any of our competitors this season.

Perhaps I’ve been spoiled by our previous achievements, but I can’t understand you’re astonishment at our achievement of just staying in this division.
Yes I admit to being a bit provocative as I strive to awake something in an apathetic support of the club we dearly love. I overdo it and parody myself at times but sometimes I don’t see any other way to awake our hopes and dreams for our famous Greenock Morton, who I love over and above any player. manager or owner.

One of the things I've learned as I've grown older is not to post on here when I'm pished.  I'd suggest you think about following the same guidelines.  

I've reread this a few times and I've no idea what the point is that you're trying to make.  Other than you like to think of yourself as a slightly superior being to the rest of us.  A little bit of evidence to back up your assertion of my underachieving mentality would be welcome.  I would counter by suggesting we've got a Manager who has turned the club around, he is using home grown talent sparingly and sensibly to ensure they don't burn out or become another focus of abuse when results go down.  And I know that's not a popular opinion on here.  I also think he could think a bit more before doing interviews, but the counterpoint to that is that he has real passion for his role.

Of course we're all allowed opinions, and that's not the issue.  But deliberately posting unfounded and unsubstantiated sixth form rhetoric deserves to be called out.  As a great philosopher once said, "Opinions are like arseholes.  Everyone has one, but few stand up to close scrutiny."

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."

George Bernard Shaw

I know there is case for being a Cappielow fatalist but DOT you take the biscuit. You appear to see conspiracy around every defeat. On balance this season is a success - we survived and for the most part have been competing for the play-offs. Most Morton fans I know are optimistic going forward not looking to talk the club down 

I think next season will see our squad step things up a gear.  We know how well they can play and with a fairly settled squad signed up our results should improve on this season - and that's before you take into account any upgrades from new signings.  We've maybe slipped up on occasion this season but with a more developed team we should be able to cut out some of the losses and convert a few of our large number of draws into wins.  Imrie has made mistakes, but he's still learning.  I'd say for example that Ali Crawford has turned out to be a mistake but when he signed, the general opinion on here seemed to be fairly positive, so it's hard to criticise when a player doesn't deliver what was expected of him.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

On 7/12/2021 at 6:50 PM, DreamOakTree said:

Sir Alex Ferguson took 7 years to get Man Utd to be the team he wanted, Gerard took 3 years with Rangers. Anything worthwhile always takes time and patience, anything rushed with a short term mentality usually turns to mush. 

On 6/22/2022 at 11:27 PM, DreamOakTree said:

A few more just sprung to mind: Reghan Tumilty, James McPake, Jamie Stevenson, Jim McAllister, Sean McGinty, Brian McLean and Gary Oliver. Other club’s fans get impatient with a regular underperforming team or players. We’re the only “fans” in Scotland who see fit to barge right in when a youngster’s making his debut, or a new player’s yet to even pull on a pair of boots. Don’t kid yourselves, we’re the worst for that behaviour in the country.

On 11/17/2019 at 6:57 PM, DreamOakTree said:

Don't think so! Hopkin has made a few poor signings but he had to get players in quickly. He needs at least another transfer window to redress the balance.

2 hours ago, HamCam said:

I know there is case for being a Cappielow fatalist but DOT you take the biscuit. 

As shown above he is not a 'fatalist' but rather a fantasist, who set entirely different standards for his own cohort of complete losers (Hopkin and Sean McGinty) in his previous attention-seeking guise.

The only consistency is a weirdo fixation with 'our own players' even when they're clearly not up to the required standard. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

On 4/21/2023 at 9:01 AM, Alibi said:

I think next season will see our squad step things up a gear.  We know how well they can play and with a fairly settled squad signed up our results should improve on this season - and that's before you take into account any upgrades from new signings.  We've maybe slipped up on occasion this season but with a more developed team we should be able to cut out some of the losses and convert a few of our large number of draws into wins.  Imrie has made mistakes, but he's still learning.  I'd say for example that Ali Crawford has turned out to be a mistake but when he signed, the general opinion on here seemed to be fairly positive, so it's hard to criticise when a player doesn't deliver what was expected of him.

Yeah, it's easy to forget how slowly we started the season and the state the squad was in even at the end of August. With the number of first team players on two year deals we'll be in a much better place to hit the ground running, and a better first quarter could make a massive difference, as well as not writing the League Cup off.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Dundee decide to take it to the wire with a dreadful 0-0 sh!tfest at home to Cove.

One of the best "worst" Friday night games of the season.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

While I've no sense of regret or lost opportunity about our season - given the total nick we were actually in back in July 2022 - this binfire of a 'title race' is something else entirely. 

Surely the potential 61 points that Dundee could require to clinch the title next Friday would be a record low?

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

9 hours ago, vikingTON said:

While I've no sense of regret or lost opportunity about our season - given the total nick we were actually in back in July 2022 - this binfire of a 'title race' is something else entirely. 

Surely the potential 61 points that Dundee could require to clinch the title next Friday would be a record low?

Ignoring the two recent seasons shortened by Covid, you’d have to go back to 1991 for a total of 58 points to win the 2nd tier, and that was a 12 team league with a 44 game season. 
Those winners were Dundee.

Edit - It's since been pointed out that it was 2 points for a win back then. 🤦‍♂️

Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

41 minutes ago, AyrshireTon said:

Ignoring the two recent seasons shortened by Covid, you’d have to go back to 1991 for a total of 58 points to win the 2nd tier, and that was a 12 team league with a 44 game season. 
Those winners were Dundee.

It was also 2 points for a win in 1991. 3 points for a win didn’t come in until 1994-95.

14 minutes ago, Toby said:

It was also 2 points for a win in 1991. 3 points for a win didn’t come in until 1994-95.

Ah, so it was. 

In that case the lowest winning total (so far) with 3 points for a win would be St. Johnstone in 2009 with 65 points. Clyde were relegated with 39 points that season.

Reading back some of the posts over the season and it reaffirms my opinion that this has been a successful one for us. Dougie and the boys have done a fantastic job and if someone told me that we would be in with a chance of the promotion playoffs going into the last game I'm not sure I'd have done anything but scoff at the idea. The league has been so tight that I think every team will look back at 1 or 2 results that could have made a difference. We could potentially finish 4 points off the league champions if my maths is correct.  Madness

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

4 minutes ago, so72 said:

We actually only lost 1 game in the league across July and August. It was September (and 1st October) and December-January that crippled us.  

We got knocked out of the League Cup by losing at Clyde and (in hindsight) dropped points in the league against the likes of Hamilton who were abysmal in the first half of the season. That level of performance/results was to be expected given the highly limited squad that we had - but if you gave us the same games now then the results would have been better. September rolls into that early season preparation too.

It is what it is, but with much greater stability with the squad I'd be looking for a much stronger start to next season. 

2 hours ago, vikingTON said:

We got knocked out of the League Cup by losing at Clyde and (in hindsight) dropped points in the league against the likes of Hamilton who were abysmal in the first half of the season. That level of performance/results was to be expected given the highly limited squad that we had - but if you gave us the same games now then the results would have been better. September rolls into that early season preparation too.

It is what it is, but with much greater stability with the squad I'd be looking for a much stronger start to next season. 

Aye I agree with you that we still dropped too many points and hopefully a stable team and Dougie with a full season of experience will make for an even better season. I can't really remember specifically why our performances went to pot around Christmas but the boys have really endeared themselves to the support this year.

The dropped points against Dundee and Arbroath recently really really stand out. It wouldn't have made us champions but you could recall both recent games against Inverness too. Who'd have thought in August we'd be discussing this? 

The transition in this club with Imrie leading the charge has been nothing but unbelievable. Nearly 3k home fans there on Saturday. There's a belief again, and there's no reason (albeit a tough task) that if the play offs come we couldn't win them. Saturday's performance reminds me that I fear absolutely no one at Cappielow. 

We've got the majority of the squad signed up for next season, going into next year financially sound. Imrie must be backed healthily.

A glimpse of the financial hubris at Hamilton that GMFC has been pitted against for too long:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/hamilton-accies-must-stay-full-29872055

A club whose 'model' requires £2 million annual income and spends £300k each year sustaining an elite youth academy can get down to the seaside leagues* and think again. 

* the West of Scotland league, playing hotly contested derbies with 'Blantyre Vics' preferably

Archived