Championship 2022/23 - Page 10 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Championship 2022/23

Jamie_M

35 minutes ago, so72 said:

I don't have the same level of hatred towards Queens Park as others here, 

Not to worry - everyone has something to work on. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, so72 said:

I don't have the same level of hatred towards Queens Park as others here, I've had friends play for them and been to a few games as a result. However, a team having a stadium with 1,800 seats is an embarrassment in our division - a team having a 1,800 seat shoebox in the Premiership would be an absolute disgrace.

Willie Haughey's plan is for 10 years, they will plummet after that. 

I think this probably takes up back to the idea of them thinking they'll be able to use Hampden. I hadn't realised until earlier it was going to be so wee, I'd be skeptical of any team with a new-build so small (surely you could at least have a terracing to bump the capacity up even if you never use it) but especially so when it's one that's apparently got such lofty designs.

As for the radio thing though, I think it's somewhat hyperbolic tbh. Whilst I don't want to defend Queen's Park or any team that's built on fake money like they are, I'm not having the idea that teams with wee stadiums getting to the top-flight is inherently embarrassing, nor even that Queen's Park getting there would be even if it's hardly great either (them building such a small stadium is incidental to the broader point, imo). Perhaps I'm wrong, but I don't really see the Gretna comparison here either - they went about hoovering up the cream of the lower league crop and were spending really serious, serious amounts which I don't really see as being the case with Queen's Park. Again, I'm not trying to legitimise the latter, it's just that I don't really buy that the faux outrage or even the idea that it's really about Queen's Park exclusively.

As I said in my previous post, there's nothing fairytale-like about it but at the same time the Championship is such an insanely tight league every year that just having a wee bit extra in some way will probably take you up or damn close to it, whether it's a bit of money (even from a Dougie Rae with a brain type), doing what Arbroath done, getting lucky with a player like Dipo Akinyemi or having an exceptional manager, or all of the above or something else altogether. The margins are so fine that it's never improbable for some unfancied team to sneak up on the outside, and I think whinging about wee grounds etc or even money is more about not wanting outsiders than one club in in particular even if there are legitimate grievances with their MO. If we were threatening to go up, you can be sure there'd be a host of fannies wheeled out to whinge about how terrible it is for some reason or other too, let's face it. In fact, I'm pretty certain that exact thing did happen in the year we finished 2nd under Moore.

Whilst it's not great for anyone, Queen's Park going up would only really be embarrassing for perma-riddies such as Partick and Dundee and I think that gets to the crux of why media fannies might gnash their teeth over it much more than anything else.

AWMSC

8 hours ago, SpoonTon said:

The rules say: No Club shall play its Home matches at any ground other than its Registered Ground without first obtaining the written approval of the Board.

I mean, I'd guess that "we want a bigger away crowd for x match" on it's own isn't going to be good enough reason to get that permission. 

They’ve already been given permission to play a league game against Hamilton and a Challenge Cup game against Montrose at Hampden this season.

3 hours ago, Cet Homme Charmant said:

Another issue in Europe is small teams being bought over by mostly Asian companies as a way if getting their Academy graduates into Europe, and turbo charging them up the leagues. An example being Eupen in Belgium who come from a town of about 20,000 inhabitants and compete in the top league in front of one man and his dug. They're owned by Qataris who use the club mostly for their African graduates, and their squad includes players from Ghana, Ivory Coast, Guinea, Mali, Senegal and Cameroon. Their business model is to eventually sell them on for profit.

Maybe in the reverse of this there are still several top flight teams in Latin America that are glorified works teams with very few fans. La Equidad in Colombia is owned by and named for an insurance company, and they play in front of a tiny (but loyal) fanbase in suburban Bogota. In Chile, there are the teams of the copper mines.

Come to think of it this is also very prevalent in Africa, where half the league in Zimbabwe and Zambia and places like that are owned by mines, slaughterhouses etc., and in the Arab world and much of Asia every civil service and government department has its own team. Some are still staffed by actual workers but most are professional.

EOho8Pw.png

They've been able to shift games away from Ochilview because having designated it as their ground they only get third dibs on it, behind Stenhousemuir and Syngenta. A ridiculous state of affairs in itself, but leads to other clubs and the SPFL being happy to accept moving the ground when the alternative would be playing on the Friday or Sunday.

Once they're finally at Lesser they won't have that excuse. They'll have no basis to request moves to Hampden just because they've made their stadium far too small to accommodate travelling supports.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

2 hours ago, dunning1874 said:

They've been able to shift games away from Ochilview because having designated it as their ground they only get third dibs on it, behind Stenhousemuir and Syngenta. A ridiculous state of affairs in itself, but leads to other clubs and the SPFL being happy to accept moving the ground when the alternative would be playing on the Friday or Sunday.

Once they're finally at Lesser they won't have that excuse. They'll have no basis to request moves to Hampden just because they've made their stadium far too small to accommodate travelling supports.

They also suggested that this would see them moving to Hampden for a couple of games before moving in to Lesser after that - even though it was nowhere near being ready.

Anyway, BBC already loosely throwing around the suggestion that they may play elsewhere for bigger crowds if they go up.

"Should the club reach the top flight, they will have to weigh up home advantage against lost revenue from turning visiting fans away."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64234919

25 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

They also suggested that this would see them moving to Hampden for a couple of games before moving in to Lesser after that - even though it was nowhere near being ready.

Anyway, BBC already loosely throwing around the suggestion that they may play elsewhere for bigger crowds if they go up.

"Should the club reach the top flight, they will have to weigh up home advantage against lost revenue from turning visiting fans away."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64234919

Choosing to play somewhere other than lesser next season (in the event of them going up) would be a bit of a punt as they would need to weigh up the anticipated extra gate money against the additional costs associated with playing somewhere else (rent, travel etc).  I don’t have a problem with doing this for a full or half season - but they shouldn’t be able to pick and choose which games they do it for

It's pretty common behavior in other countries to move big games to big stadiums. In Brazil, many clubs have a "spiritual" or normal home, then they move to the big regional stadium nearby for derbies. 

For example, in the city of Belem, the two big clubs Paysandu and Remo both have their own grounds with space for about 15,000. But if they have a big promotion tie or a derby with each other, they might move it to the Olimpico, which has about 53,000 seats.

In South Africa, most teams will faff about in front of two men and a vuvuzela until they have a game against Pirates or Chiefs, which they'll play at a major stadium that might not even be in the same province.

But this is very unusual in western Europe, where - aside from the Cups and in UEFA competition - you play games at your home ground.

In our footballing culture, playing home games at home is near-sacrosanct and I would hate for that to change; and I'd especially hate for it to change for those scabby losers. But it'll be all too predictable if it does happen. They took the piss for years with their "ownership" of Hampden, and were massively ungracious as that untenable situation came to an end. But the authorities have a soft spot for them and I can see all kinds of rules being bent in their favor, particularly since Hampden was once upon a time their home.

EOho8Pw.png

27 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

Hamilton game in March moved to the Friday. Probably with Scotland game in mind.

Was planning to head up for this on the Saturday, but was warned by @Tobyawhile ago that it was likely to get moved because of the Scotland game. Good shout bud, and thanks again.

• 3 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, DreamOakTree said:

Surprising!

Not really, it's been on the cards for about a month.

Big loss but they have brought in 2 attackers to replace him.

Henderson and Shields about the best they could have hoped for as replacements.

Archived