Pre-season - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Pre-season

Jamie_M

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Then why fucking announce it as part of your pre-season friendlies. :1eye:

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

It would be pretty embarrassing if a GMFC board member had hyped up an English friendly at the MCT EGM and the official Morton twitter account announced this as part of their pre season schedule before tweeting this. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

Urgh. The club have done an awful lot of things right on the communications front over the last while, but completely avoidable things like this are so frustrating and seem to keep happening (although admittedly nowhere near as frequently as they used to).

It's widely known that fans have been desperate for a decent away trip for a pre-season friendly for ages, we've not had one for years, so to be having one touted (apparently, I wasn't there) at the MCT meeting and then these two announcements that have followed is just frustrating given how avoidable and unnecessary it is.

AWMSC

24 minutes ago, irnbru said:

Don't see the problem with this at all. Teams let fans know pre season plans all the time and there's always closed door games. 

I'm not going to lose any sleep over it but there have been many unofficial friendlies over the years that aren't announced, whether it be at Murray Park or in some park somewhere where a random fan finds out and updates everyone on the game. 

On the back of Gordon Ritchie getting fans excited about the friendly then the club announcing three out of four friendlies as behind closed doors and now this message that its not an official friendly and at a neutral venue is just needless poor communication. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

30 minutes ago, dmcewan16 said:

Looking at the latest tweet, are we charging £22 per game next season? 🙈🙈

Just casually dropping that news in that format too.

It might only be an extra £2, but they're taking the piss with that. We're signing a fuckin third tier side as it stands, we've been offering guys like Blues and Oliver 2 year contracts and even wanted to keep Brian McLean, and still the prices keep going up?!

To repeat myself once again, the football climate is so much more favourable than it has been for years and there should surely be a significant increase in the money coming in from hospitality etc compared to the last few seasons, there's MCT money which alone should be significant, there's an increase in commercial activity, the prices on the gate are going up and yet we're still ultimately getting hit with the "we're skint" routine even though nobody is actually saying it this time round.

Why is this the case?  Obviously we might all be surprised by a few really good signings in the next couple of weeks, but with each player that comes in that looks less likely, and it's really hard to see how you can justify asking for so much money for nothing resembling significant improvements in return.

AWMSC

3 minutes ago, EanieMeany said:

Just casually dropping that news in that format too.

It might only be an extra £2, but they're taking the piss with that. We're signing a fuckin third tier side as it stands, we've been offering guys like Blues and Oliver 2 year contracts and even wanted to keep Brian McLean, and still the prices keep going up?!

To repeat myself once again, the football climate is so much more favourable than it has been for years and there should surely be a significant increase in the money coming in from hospitality etc compared to the last few seasons, there's MCT money which alone should be significant, there's an increase in commercial activity, the prices on the gate are going up and yet we're still ultimately getting hit with the "we're skint" routine even though nobody is actually saying it this time round.

Why is this the case?  Obviously we might all be surprised by a few really good signings in the next couple of weeks, but with each player that comes in that looks less likely, and it's really hard to see how you can justify asking for so much money for nothing resembling significant improvements in return.

Inflation is hitting 11% this year and gate prices are not going to be immune to this. The early bird and/or MCT offer provides value to cover existing, regular fans.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

I don't agree with match day tickets being that high for our level of football. I get the club costs are rising massively and they need to look in to ways of increasing revenue and potentially increasing costs of certain things to fans, but the cost of entry to a Scottish Championship game was already at the absolute maximum that it should be in my opinion. 

I'd be interested to see what prices other clubs in the division will charge. Sure I saw a few clubs stating on twitter at the time that their prices wouldn't be changing but wasn't really paying attention. 

32.gif

16 minutes ago, port-ton said:

I don't agree with match day tickets being that high for our level of football. I get the club costs are rising massively and they need to look in to ways of increasing revenue and potentially increasing costs of certain things to fans, but the cost of entry to a Scottish Championship game was already at the absolute maximum that it should be in my opinion. 

I'd be interested to see what prices other clubs in the division will charge. Sure I saw a few clubs stating on twitter at the time that their prices wouldn't be changing but wasn't really paying attention. 

Had a quick scan and a few are £20. 

I get costs are up and we need to do something but surely there could be some sort of incentive in place rather than just blind loyalty. 

15 minutes ago, port-ton said:

I get where you're coming from, don't know if you attended the recent meeting, but it was said that the utility bill for Cappielow last season was £18,000. The projected cost for this coming season it's £54,000.

It has to be paid somehow.

1 minute ago, The Bewilderedbeast said:

I get where you're coming from, don't know if you attended the recent meeting, but it was said that the utility bill for Cappielow last season was £18,000. The projected cost for this coming season it's £54,000.

It has to be paid somehow.

Yeah I heard that and I get it totally. My issue is that we have probably around a minimum of 500+ fans on a weekly basis who show up to cappielow and pay at the gate. Some of those will show up every week so a season book woild make sense but a decent number of them are fans who pick and choose their games due to work/life etc or can only get to a couple of games a season. 

It's fine saying bills need to be paid but as with any product there's a price point that people will pay and that people will decide its not worth it, and while a jump from £20 to £22 is only a £2 difference, in how the human brain works when valuing things it's a massive jump from what was already a borderline too expensive cost in my opinion and might just be the barrier to which some of those fans decide its not worth the cost of attending. 

I could be totally wrong of course (it has been known) and the weekly attendance stays the same. 

32.gif

Archived