Squad for next Season - Page 74 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Squad for next Season

30 minutes ago, EanieMeany said:

Hopefully he turns out to be a revelation, but it kinda seems on paper that we’re stockpiling forwards who can’t score goals.

Who can at this level though? Barring the odd Shankland, Nisbet or Dobbie there's barely any prolific scorers that come through this league. Only people barring those three mentioned to have got more than 15 in a season since 2016 are Billy McKay and Jason Cummings. 

Edited by Hej

Happy enough with that. Someone you'd be comfortable having start games and can compete for a place with Muirhead, rather than Roy's more likely role of being a body to throw on for the last 10 minutes because the starting centre forward is done in and can't run.

Though he's not much of a goalscorer on his recent track record, Imrie's got a good record of turning players round while his first spell in Inverness and time at Hamilton suggest there's something to recapture.

• Upvote 1

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Happy to get another attacking option in the door and improve the squad depth. Will be delighted if he can find his love of football again and contribute to our success. 

My only worry with our January signings is I'm not sure that any of them improve the starting 11 we've had most of the season when I was really hoping we could push on in January and get in guys who were going to be straight in to the starting line up on merit and not just because they're new signings. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

I reckon we could see a "creative" midfielder coming in. But the problem is that it could then unsettle our midfield as they'd be expected to start I'd assume. 

Oakley comes across as a nice guy, says he does a lot of running and gives his all, exactly what we are looking for. And also, probably our best "goalscorer" in the squad. 

3 minutes ago, ChampTon said:

I reckon we could see a "creative" midfielder coming in. But the problem is that it could then unsettle our midfield as they'd be expected to start I'd assume. 

Oakley comes across as a nice guy, says he does a lot of running and gives his all, exactly what we are looking for. And also, probably our best "goalscorer" in the squad. 

We definitely need another midfielder. We've been very fortunate with injuries so far this season, but having to completely shuffle the starting XI about if Gillespie gets an injury is a concern. 

You address me by my proper title, you little bollocks! 

57 minutes ago, ChampTon said:

Thought he came across really well. Knows about the club and seems genuinely excited. 

Sounds like he's had a tough time recently so hopefully has a point to prove and kicks on with us. 

Pretty happy with the signing. We've got options to change it now which is night and day compared to even 2 weeks ago. 

We do seem to have a majority of the squad signed up for next season too. That's Pignatiello, Baird, Gillespie, Lyon, Blues, Crawford, King, McGrattan, Muirhead and Oakley all signed up for next year from the top of my head. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing just yet...

2 hours ago, DumfriesTon said:

Pretty happy with the signing. We've got options to change it now which is night and day compared to even 2 weeks ago. 

We do seem to have a majority of the squad signed up for next season too. That's Pignatiello, Baird, Gillespie, Lyon, Blues, Crawford, King, McGrattan, Muirhead and Oakley all signed up for next year from the top of my head. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing just yet...

When was the last time we had a solid spine set up for the following season? 

I'd like to add O'Connor and Quitongo to the list too. 

Strapp will be deservedly away to bigger things (unless we go up there's a chance we hold on to him). The same applies to Grimshaw. 

I'd also make the argument to keep Efe. He's a cult hero, has vast experience and hasn't really looked out of place since coming in bar the odd 'Ambrose' moment. He really does have you panic when he starts Cruyff turning! Who knows, maybe we add him to the coaching staff? I really do think Schwake is a great young keeper who's a bit raw here and there but I imagine Livi will take him back, but if he's going to warm the bench let's get him back for another season!

Certainly seems to me that not having to start from scratch every season is a good thing - as long as the players we have are good enough.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

10 hours ago, ChampTon said:

When was the last time we had a solid spine set up for the following season? 

I'd like to add O'Connor and Quitongo to the list too. 

Strapp will be deservedly away to bigger things (unless we go up there's a chance we hold on to him). The same applies to Grimshaw. 

Was just thinking I'd like O'Connor to stay, would like to see him playing a bit more often in rotation with efe. 

Strapp is leaving in the summer, coming from the man himself. Really hope his performance vs Celtic has got him even more coverage. The boy is really good and I hope he leaves Scotland.

Edited by so72

13 hours ago, DumfriesTon said:

Good starting point before adding quality upgrades for the step up to the Premiership.

• Upvote 1

Interesting that he tried to sign Oakley in the summer clearly someone that Dougie really likes so glad we got that deal done hopefully can get back to scoring ways under a boss he clearly thinks very highly of. 

Hopefully the loan signing is a midfielder can't see where else we would need someone now squad seems fairly settled unless he feels maybe a left back now Strapp is Injured. 

On Strapp that's a really big blow I think he is our best player quite comfortable and that means changes to a pretty settled defence, Hopefully we see him back in a Morton shirt depending on how bad his injury is especially with his contract up in the summer. 

42 minutes ago, RossMcC1874 said:

Interesting that he tried to sign Oakley in the summer clearly someone that Dougie really likes so glad we got that deal done hopefully can get back to scoring ways under a boss he clearly thinks very highly of. 

Hopefully the loan signing is a midfielder can't see where else we would need someone now squad seems fairly settled unless he feels maybe a left back now Strapp is Injured. 

On Strapp that's a really big blow I think he is our best player quite comfortable and that means changes to a pretty settled defence, Hopefully we see him back in a Morton shirt depending on how bad his injury is especially with his contract up in the summer. 

Could see Miller at LB and a winger in, or maybe King will get a run. Like you I hope its a midfielder.

Aye, hopefully that's not the last we see of Strapp in a Morton shirt and he gets back before the end of the season.

We were braced for losing him before the window closed but not like this. No deadline day move to Georgia then.

Interesting about being in for Oakley in the summer but couldn't get a deal together. Back when we had to field Easdale and Dougie was criticising the budget. Hopefully he can get the best out of him.

Hopefully we also get the other signing over the line.

57 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

Aye, hopefully that's not the last we see of Strapp in a Morton shirt and he gets back before the end of the season.

We were braced for losing him before the window closed but not like this. No deadline day move to Georgia then.

Interesting about being in for Oakley in the summer but couldn't get a deal together. Back when we had to field Easdale and Dougie was criticising the budget. Hopefully he can get the best out of him.

Hopefully we also get the other signing over the line.

Shows just how important this dalrada deal has been for us 

• Upvote 1

TIME FOR CHANGE!