Squad for next Season - Page 73 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Squad for next Season

1 minute ago, TONofmemories said:

Also has a dig at, I presume, the fans RE criticism after 2 defeats.

Not sure I take it as a criticism of our fans but rather anyone posting negative stuff.

He specifically referenced comments around 'that's the bubble burst'. It's predominantly been fans of other teams using that phrase.

Interesting interview it's good to hear we clearly have other targets and hopefully get one or two in the next week. 

Also I noticed he said if players don't work hard they will be out the door I wonder who he is referring to or just in general. I really like the fact imrie is brutal with the squad and won't accept passengers like so many other duds we have had in previous years. 

Love watching Dougie's weekly interviews. Always honest and realistic but optimistic too (if that makes sense). His grin when talking about bringing one or two in caught the eye. I also like how he sets his expectations with clarity.

• Upvote 1

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

12 hours ago, irnbru said:

Option to move Grimshaw in there. 

It’s interesting that Pignatiello seems to have fallen so far out the picture. Whilst Grimshaw evidently represented a good “market opportunity” at the time, it was still a bit curious to be going out and immediately replacing a guy you’ve just signed on a 2 year deal with somebody initially only in for a few months especially when there was the apparent budgetary restrictions - it didn’t seem a great vote of confidence in the signing,  although again if you can get a much better player then I suppose you do it.

That said, at times it could have been a good option to have Carlo at right back and push Grimshaw into midfield to give us a bit more attacking impetus and tighten up in the midfield; if nothing else, there’s limited options in the squad and that could be a way of using what we have to shake things up a bit. At Hamilton last week, for example, we were offering little resistance down the middle whilst not offering much of a threat going forward, so that could have been a way to help rectify both elements there. It’d also be a way to allow Gillespie a bit of a rest on occasion too, in the last few games he’s looked off the pace although there’s other elements that have contributed to that, particularly the absence of McGrattan meaning the incompetence of Blues was no longer being mitigated. In that regard, it’s a bit unfair that McGrattan’s always been utilised to add a bit of balance to cover a far inferior player rather than just putting him in their place.

The timing of Gillespie’s suspension is probably coming at a good time though, he’s not been great recently and a rest will do him good to get him back up to speed for the rest of the season, and it’s also a return to Cappielow with a game we should be fully expecting to win. Grimshaw’s performance in midfield yesterday too will assuage any concerns about who fills the gap, so it’s not the worst time for Gillespie to be out. We’ll need him for the run-in and if this break can get him back to his best then it’s ultimately a blessing.

Anyway, Pignatiello at right-back and Grimshaw into the middle is surely the obvious solution, with McGrattan finally getting his place in the middle 3 beside him and Crawford.

I thought Miller had some decent moments yesterday, especially in the second half, so if Strapp is going to be out and King has to go to left-back, I’m a bit more convinced by him than before although ideally Strapp and King would be the pairing there.

Edited by EanieMeany
  • Downvote 2

AWMSC

He has scored goals in this division before, just needs to find that form again and he will be a good signing. Slight concern that he hasn't really done it in a few years but I'm sure Dougie can get the best out of him.  You see it time and time again when a player moves club, new manager ( who isn't Billy Fecking Dodds)  new lease of life etc.

Decent competition for Muirhead, which is badly needed.

Hopefully 1 or 2 more to follow.

His goal against Aberdeen is really all that I know about the guy.

Glancing at his career stats it looks like he signed for Accies for the second half of Dougie’s final season, so I guess he made a good impression at the time.

Another option to compete/rotate with Muirhead is good for squad balance.

His Wikipedia page has been updated…

D85AD3DC-C3A6-4948-A45A-CA21A5EFF3DC.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Good to see us getting another body in the door who can give us some much needed competition and different options up front.

While on the face of it his stats aren’t too impressive, he is a guy who the gaffer knows well, and who has scored goals at this level in the past so I’m confident he will be a good addition to the squad.  Also - if there are any players out there with a consistent double digit scoring record at our level, they aren’t realistically going to be available to sign for Morton in a January transfer window so I think we need to temper our expectations with a bit of realism.

Hopefully George settles in and along with Miller & Roy is able to prove a few doubters wrong in the way that Grimshaw & Quitongo have.

Another option up top and someone who has good experience at this level. His record doesn't exactly jump out at you but Imrie has got it right with pretty much every signing so I'm confident we can get him firing. 

We have got rid of most of the dead wood around the club and now are actually signing players who give us options and experience. One more in midfield and I would assume that might be us done.