Squad for next Season - Page 90 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Squad for next Season

3 hours ago, Stevie Aitken's Love Child said:

Could play in their u23 team for a couple of seasons I suppose. Fair fucks to him if he gets a deal there, I'd be shocked but good luck to him.

Yeah, U23, loans to Conference and League Two... better money than up here in all likelihood even if he disappears into the lower leagues.

EOho8Pw.png

41 minutes ago, SassenachTon said:

Great news. I know that many of us (me included) were doubtful about his injury record and general attitude when he first appeared, but he's been another great example of an insightful Dougie signing. Really solid, and always a significant worry for defences when he runs at them. I'd love to see him continuing to up his game and improve his finishing.

Yep, like many I had doubts about him rejoining us last summer, but fair play to both him and Dougie, they proved us all wrong

5 minutes ago, port-ton said:

Still feel those were harsh. He was getting slaughtered for his disciplinary record at that time when Gillespie and Strapps yellow card records were basically just as bad at that time despite them not being the target for referees. 

After that week I feel like he controlled himself pretty well throughout the season even though refs were still desperate to come after him for nothing. 

Yeah, fair, I'd say he was targeted to an extent, but by giving the refs nothing to work with he's doing the right thing.

EOho8Pw.png

Delighted with that. He's a really good option to have.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

On 5/30/2023 at 11:46 AM, Tubes said:

Great news. Boy is a total menace, and when he’s at it there’s not many at this level that do it better than Jai. Hopefully adds some goals to his game this season 🤞🏻

Very happy with this! Just wondering if we sign up Waters and Grimshaw, will we be relying on pretty much the same starting 11 (with new goalie included). Will that be enough to make more of a title challenge? Or do we need one or two who are improvements on what we have?

• Downvote 1

6 hours ago, DreamOakTree said:

Very happy with this! Just wondering if we sign up Waters and Grimshaw, will we be relying on pretty much the same starting 11 (with new goalie included). Will that be enough to make more of a title challenge? Or do we need one or two who are improvements on what we have?

None of us picks the starting team - Dougie does, based on a hunded factors, all of which a talented and insightful manager takes into consideration when he writes out the team sheet. And last season, it changed virtually from game to game, so I don't quite understand your 'same starting 11' statement.

With so many quality options already signed up and committed, all I see is real opportunity. An existing, settled squad foundation who have already gelled as a team, who already know how to play with each other, who have genuine and obvious team spirit, and who have as good a chance as anyone of mounting a serious challenge. But without the aid of a crystal ball, it's impossible to make any predictions because (as Andy Ritchie said in the recent interview) - the Championship is the most competitive, difficult, unpredictable league in Scottish fitba. We already know that anyone can beat anyone else on any given Saturday - there are no 'easy' games.

Dougie will likely make other additions to what's already become a solid squad - and within a few weeks of Imrieship, he'll have those new laddies absolutely running through fucking walls for him, such is the way that he's consistently demonstrated his ability to motivate underperforming players and transform them into something better. WAY better in many cases. He also has quality in youngsters like McGrattan and King to call upon - players who have yet to receive consistent game time, but who will undoubtedly continue to improve to a level which meets Dougie’s sky-high standards of perfomance, workrate, fitness and consistency. As a result of the above, our strength in depth and consequent options off the bench can only increase going forward.

If Grimshaw and Waters don't sign - then so be it. Two players don't make a team. Many of us were petrified at this time last year, with the fear that Lewis Strapp wouldn't re-sign. But he's been out since the Celtic game and we've managed OK without him. In Liam Grimshaw's case (whilst he'd be a huge loss), I think we all realise that he has the ability to play at a higher level. He was the absolute best-in-class throughout the entire Championship last season, no question.  But I'm also pretty sure that Dougie either already has a Plan B in place, or that he's actively seeking one. With only a couple of exceptions, his ability to sign the right players to fill the right holes at the right time is largely flawless.

I've had to go out today and buy sunglasses because the future's so bright. Mon the Ton.

Edited by SassenachTon
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, SassenachTon said:

None of us picks the starting team - Dougie does, based on a hunded factors, all of which a talented and insightful manager takes into consideration when he writes out the team sheet. And last season, it changed virtually from game to game, so I don't quite understand your 'same starting 11' statement.

With so many quality options already signed up and committed, all I see is real opportunity. An existing, settled squad foundation who have already gelled as a team, who already know how to play with each other, who have genuine and obvious team spirit, and who have as good a chance as anyone of mounting a serious challenge. But without the aid of a crystal ball, it's impossible to make any predictions because (as Andy Ritchie said in the recent interview) - the Championship is the most competitive, difficult, unpredictable league in Scottish fitba. We already know that anyone can beat anyone else on any given Saturday - there are no 'easy' games.

Dougie will likely make other additions to what's already become a solid squad - and within a few weeks of Imrieship, he'll have those new laddies absolutely running through fucking walls for him, such is the way that he's consistently demonstrated his ability to motivate underperforming players and transform them into something better. WAY better in many cases. He also has quality in youngsters like McGrattan and KIng to call upon - players who have yet to receive consistent game time, but who will undoubtedly continue to improve to a level which meets Dougies' sky-high standards of perfomance, workrate, fitness and consistency. As a result of the above, our strength in depth and consequent options off the bench can only increase going forward.

If Grimshaw and Waters don't sign - then so be it. Two players don't make a team. Many of us were petrified at this time last year, with the fear that Lewis Strapp wouldn't re-sign. But he's been out since the Celtic game and we've managed OK without him. In Liam Grimshaw's case (whilst he'd be a huge loss), I think we all realise that he has the ability to play at a higher level. He was the absolute best in the Championship last season, no question.  But I'm also pretty sure that Dougie either already has a Plan B in place, or that he's actively seeking one. With only a couple of exceptions, his ability to sign the right players to fll the right holes at the right time is largely flawless.

I've had to go out and buy sunglasses because the future's so bright. Mon the Ton.

I agree with most of that. Apart from injuries and suspensions though I felt we could just about predict the starting 11, give or take a couple of incoming loanees. Usually it would be:

Schwake 

Grimshaw  Baird   O’Connor   Waters

R.Winters  Gillespie  Blues

Quitongo   Oakley/Muirhead    Miller

So what I’m saying is, we could have very close to the same side if Grimshaw and Waters sign up. I’m not saying that’s a bad thing, in fact it’s great to have continuity and a settled squad. I’m just questioning whether we need something different in addition to make a consistent challenge. Dougie still needs to add around 4 players so that’s when we’ll find out. 

Just now, DreamOakTree said:

I agree with most of that. Apart from injuries and suspensions though I felt we could just about predict the starting 11, give or take a couple of incoming loanees. Usually it would be:

Schwake 

Grimshaw  Baird   O’Connor   Waters

R.Winters  Gillespie  Blues

Quitongo   Oakley/Muirhead    Miller

So what I’m saying is, we could have very close to the same side if Grimshaw and Waters sign up. I’m not saying that’s a bad thing, in fact it’s great to have continuity and a settled squad. I’m just questioning whether we need something different in addition to make a consistent challenge. Dougie still needs to add around 4 players so that’s when we’ll find out. 

Sorry R.Crawford, don’t know if Winters came from a spell check!?

41 minutes ago, ChampTon said:

I see Tom Lang was released from Raith, wouldn't mind seeing him in as back up to Baird and Darragh. Bit of a goal-scoring centre half.

Dingied us and signed for Dunfermline at the last minute in 2019 after we agreed a fee with Clyde.

Worked out well for him...