Squad for next Season - Page 89 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Squad for next Season

12 hours ago, The Bewilderedbeast said:

Apparently Dougie said, at the recent Q and A session in the Lighthouse,  that we couldn't afford Fulton as he's still on PL wages, circa £2000 pw 

£2000 pw?! Surely not. 

15 hours ago, vikingTON said:

My interpretation of the fans' event was that Dougie was very much on the '18' side of that scale.

Which regardless of Imrie's own preference, is well matched to our needs as a club. We're not going to out-compete next season's division through squad depth: if we can, it will take focusing on getting the best 14-15 players we can on our budget, and relying on a bit of luck with injuries. 

Their defence was the 3rd worst in the division and an absolute shambles against us every single time. No chance that he would be a below market rate option as 'cover' either. Almost as bad a shout as the rumoured prospect of O'Ware returning - we've moved on from both. 

The only defensive homecoming we need is Sir Richard. 

Tbf if he wanted a lot of money and wasn't a cheapish option for cover I'd look elsewhere. Lamie would be a terrific signing but can't see it. 

On 5/20/2023 at 4:41 PM, Mr.Blue said:

Would be a no for me. There's better out there. If we were going to sign anyone from that QP released list then it would be Davidson who can play cb or rb.

Aye, there's a reasonable argument we shouldn’t with their defensive record, but if we're going to sign a released Queen's Park defender Davidson would make a lot more sense. A right back who's also played a lot at centre back and some games in holding midfield as well, he'd basically be covering all the same positions Pignatiello did while being an upgrade on him and is only 22 while Kilday is now 31.

If we do end up running with a squad of around 18 that versatility in our cover options is going to be vital.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

I've always quite liked the look of Andy Winter at Accies, young strikers would be the perfect 3rd choice I think. 

Another than I think could be a decent option that Imrie could straighten out is Dario Zanatta, can play along the front 3 and only a couple of seasons ago was making scoring look easy in this division.

5 hours ago, ChampTon said:

a decent option that Imrie could straighten out is Dario Zanatta 

Most Accies fans on P&B were very unimpressed with him and his attitude, but then again I suppose most strikers struggle when playing for a team fighting relegation at the arse end of the league. 

31 minutes ago, BigHogTon said:

Is there any truth to the rumour we’re singing Ruari Paton, seemed to do well in League 1 and out of contract now. No brainier for me.

Is that the wee prick who played for queen of the South? If so I remember him being a wee arsehole and not really up to much ability wise.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

22 goals and a few assists in just about 36 games, can't really say he wouldn't add something to the side with stats like that. My Queens supporting pal said he hasn't seen him play recently but that he seemed inconsistent. 

If anything he sounds right up the gaffer's street.

On 5/12/2022 at 10:24 AM, BigHogTon said:

Being told by source close to club few signings for next season to be announced today. I’m being told McLean, Blues, Ugwu and Oliver all to be announced this morning. Ugwu and Blues 2 years. McLean and Oliver for 1

Same source which told you this pish  last summer?

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, The Bewilderedbeast said:

I was told on Friday that there would be no signing news until at least next week at the earliest.

Came from a VERY good source.

I wouldn't have expected anything sooner, with the likelihood that some of our targets are under contract at Premiership clubs and maybe any of our own players keeping their options open wanting the season to end first.

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

We did a lot of our business early last season so I would hope it would be the same this time around. There are plenty of players released we can get and I trust Dougie to add real quality to the squad I think we are an attractive option for a lot of players but obviously I'm slightly biased. 

1 hour ago, Scott said:

Brian Schwake apparently training with Brighton. Fair play if he gets a move there! 

Wow!

Overall I think he did well for us last season and I would have been happy enough if we could have held on to him for next season, but he's a million miles away from EPL standard, and I would be surprised at his age (21?) if he could ever reach that level. Good luck to him though, he seemed like a genuinely likeable big fella, and irrespective of whether this comes to anything or not, I'm sure he'll still have a very decent career in the game.

Edited by Cet Homme Charmant