Squad for next Season - Page 87 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Squad for next Season

Surprised to see Pignatiello go which leaves us needing more defensive cover, but if he wants to go part-time and get a regular start elsewhere then fair enough.

No other surprises, we already knew about Strapp and Lyon while Efe was always likely to go. Green and Gemmell were never going to become first team players here.

It was obvious Waters would get an offer, although I hope we might end up with a better first choice.  Hopefully Miller and Quitongo sign up then we're sorted for wide options but obviously either of them would be nearly as hard to replace as Grimshaw. If we can keep him that's massive.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

47 minutes ago, Mr.Blue said:

Of those leaving I'd have liked to see strapp stay but we've been over that a million times. Also would t be against schwake and Crawford coming back next season.

Carlo leaving is a surprise although I think it's a good move for the club. Better options out there if we are seriously challenge for the league next season. Wonder of he'll look for a part time club as he has something else lined up outside of football. Would love to see big Efe join as a coach.

Not sure if serious...

22 minutes ago, Madton said:

Not sure if serious...

100% serious. He's a good player and came onto a game tail end of the season.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

22 minutes ago, Mr.Blue said:

When did this happen? Admittedly I couldn't see him for most of the Cove game so it wouldn't be fair to comment on his performance there, but I'm not seeing being fine in his sub appearances v Queen's Park and Raith as enough to cancel out the 7 shockers in 7 starts before that.

If a player without Crawford's prior reputation had delivered those performances no one would be remotely entertaining signing him off the back of it. The only other player who's even in the conversation for our worst player of the season is Ally Roy, and he only played about 120 minutes altogether.

• Upvote 1

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Miller took a while to get going, so there might be an argument that A. Crawford could be the same.  However with a new season, we need to aim as high as possible and from what we saw of Crawford, he didn't really add much to the team.  Also, it feels as if he personally cost us a playoff position with that dreadful penalty at Gayfield.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

1 hour ago, Mr.Blue said:

Think you'll be on your own with that one. He has done nothing to merit a deal from us. No coincidence that when we finally dropped him, we started winning games. Thankfully he is still contracted to St Johnstone in any case and I doubt he would want a deal with us anyway after how it's went.

Dougie hasn't made many mistakes recruitment wise but Ali Crawford and Ally Roy are 2 which haven't worked out with Kabia not too far behind.

Generally his recruitment has been excellent when you look at Grimshaw,R.Crawford, Efe, O'connor, Schwake, Baird, Oakley, Gillespie, Jai, Miller( eventually), Waters, Wilson and Brandon.

If he gets most of them right again this summer, we should have a very good season.

I feel like we use words to this effect every year, but if we get the recruitment right we could be in for a really good season with even more improvement and consistency. The difference is this year it feels as though the prospect of getting it right is quite realistic.

Edited by Pedrodelawasp

Dougie’s showing by his decisions he just wants the best squad possible for next season. The players who are signed up, those who’ve been offered a new deal and those who’ve been let go all point to a stronger squad, with ample room for more players to be added. I don’t think anyone will be surprised if Dougie already knows who he wants to add. 

11 hours ago, Madton said:

Think you'll be on your own with that one. He has done nothing to merit a deal from us. No coincidence that when we finally dropped him, we started winning games. Thankfully he is still contracted to St Johnstone in any case and I doubt he would want a deal with us anyway after how it's went.

Dougie hasn't made many mistakes recruitment wise but Ali Crawford and Ally Roy are 2 which haven't worked out with Kabia not too far behind.

Generally his recruitment has been excellent when you look at Grimshaw,R.Crawford, Efe, O'connor, Schwake, Baird, Oakley, Gillespie, Jai, Miller( eventually), Waters, Wilson and Brandon.

If he gets most of them right again this summer, we should have a very good season.

While Kabia just wasn't ready for this level of football and Crawford is either finished at 31 or doesn't fit the team at all, both signings made perfect sense on paper. Kabia had done very well in League One in the previous season so thinking he could make the step up made perfect sense, same as Pignatiello, and Crawford had the pedigree to be an excellent Championship player.

The only signing he's made that really didn't make sense was Roy, but I,'m willing to accept that was just an attempt to find a body capable of running about if Muirhead and Quitongo were both incapacitated while not expecting Oakley to later become available.

• Upvote 1

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

We don't 'need' Miller under contract. You might 'want' Miller under contract for next season but those two things are not the same. 

• Upvote 2

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Grimmy playing for Wrexham in $1m winner takes all 7 a side tournament in north Carolina at beginning of June. 

Screenshot_20230519_223325_Twitter.jpg

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

Is that an indication that he’s off ski?

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."