Squad for next Season - Page 84 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Squad for next Season

Callum Davidson was sacked because St Johnstone have been utterly dire for two seasons and he's shown no indication of being able to fix it. The incredible achievement of winning a cup double doesn't give a manager a free pass to be terrible forever and he was lucky to make it to this season at all.

It could be a concern that so many top flight clubs have interim managers when Imrie is the obvious candidate for any Premiership club looking at the Championship, but he isn't going to be on the radar of Aberdeen or Hearts anyway. We just have to hope Dundee United keep Goodwin on and St Johnstone look elsewhere.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

The St Johnstone fans I know strongly want Robbie Nielson or if not him David Martindale or if not him Neil Lennon or if not him Owen Coyle. Interesting but thankful Imrie has rarely got a mention in the recent managerial changing of deckchairs on the Titanic.

On 4/18/2023 at 1:24 PM, HamCam said:

The St Johnstone fans I know strongly want Robbie Nielson or if not him David Martindale or if not him Neil Lennon or if not him Owen Coyle. Interesting but thankful Imrie has rarely got a mention in the recent managerial changing of deckchairs on the Titanic.

Why on Earth would Martindale go to St Johnstone? If he did, then I'd be worried about Livi taking Dougie.

2 hours ago, so72 said:

Why on Earth would Martindale go to St Johnstone? If he did, then I'd be worried about Livi taking Dougie.

Livingston lost over £800k last year and are facing a significant loss this year. Martindale is on record highlighting he cannot keep plugging the gap. Who knows where that leaves Livingston?

Imrie commenting on Strapp's departure, praising his contribution and saying he could have given him a deal and he would probably have stayed here forever but he should be looking to move on to bigger and better.

Also reveals Jai has been offered a new deal.

https://12ft.io/proxy?q=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.greenocktelegraph.co.uk%2Fsport%2F23471599.morton-boss-says-lewis-strapp-needs-leave-sake-career%2F

9 hours ago, Jamie_M said:

Imrie commenting on Strapp's departure, praising his contribution and saying he could have given him a deal and he would probably have stayed here forever but he should be looking to move on to bigger and better.

Also reveals Jai has been offered a new deal.

https://12ft.io/proxy?q=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.greenocktelegraph.co.uk%2Fsport%2F23471599.morton-boss-says-lewis-strapp-needs-leave-sake-career%2F

This is such a weird arc. I mean fair enough, Strapp maybe is in a comfort zone. But I'd expect a manager to want to lock down his best players regardless. Maybe it's a budgetary thing, i.e. we could afford him but it wouldn't be cheap?

• Downvote 1

EOho8Pw.png

4 hours ago, TRVMP said:

This is such a weird arc. I mean fair enough, Strapp maybe is in a comfort zone. But I'd expect a manager to want to lock down his best players regardless. Maybe it's a budgetary thing, i.e. we could afford him but it wouldn't be cheap?

That's a good point. All ifs, buts and maybes here..... id imagine Dougie has a plan in place for next season. He's tied up the majority of the squad on new/longer deals and with the projected money he has left he could have targets identified in other areas as a priority?

• Upvote 1

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

10 hours ago, TRVMP said:

Maybe it's a budgetary thing, i.e. we could afford him but it wouldn't be cheap?

That's been my take on it from since Lewis announced he wasn't in Dougie's plans. 

Dougie's priority of course is what's best for GMFC, and not developing the career of someone elsewhere, so his statement on the face of it is very weird. There's no logical reason he wouldn't want to keep him, unless there are personal differences between the two, and that doesn't seem to be the case (although we never know of course).

But Dougie knows he'll have another very limited budget next season, and the teams coming up from League 1 will probably have bigger budgets than those going down, especially if Falkirk make it up through the play-offs, meaning it could be even tougher to compete for the play-offs. So perhaps he just thinks that meeting Lewis' wage demands would be too much of a drain on that budget, and would therefore be to the determent of the size and/or strength of the squad as a whole. It's quite possibly just as simple as that.

Edited by Cet Homme Charmant
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

42 minutes ago, DreamOakTree said:

Not sure where I got that then! Is the second bit correct?

Jacobs was club captain from before Dougie, replaced by Gillespie as Dougie's first captain appointment with Baird as vice-captain.

Strapp may have filled in on occasion but was never club captain.

Strapp did lose his place earlier in the season to the emerging King but won it back.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jamie_M said:

Jacobs was club captain from before Dougie, replaced by Gillespie as Dougie's first captain appointment with Baird as vice-captain.

Strapp may have filled in on occasion but was never club captain.

Strapp did lose his place earlier in the season to the emerging King but won it back.

Okay cheers for that.

Strapp didn't sign a new deal until the first day of pre season last year. To me thqt indicates that he was weighing up his options and we were a last resort. Could be the case the strapp has told Dougie he doesn't really want to be here and wants to try something new. If that's the case and his mind is made up then it's pointless for Dougie to do anything else but what he has done.

• Upvote 1

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

I thought Waters had another good game on Saturday again after a slowish start. I'd be more than happy for him to replace Strapp next season. 

With so many signed up for next season it's going to be interesting to see what qualities Dougie feels he needs to add to compliment what's already here. We are so used to ripping the squad apart and starting again so he's not going to have much room for manoeuvre and needs to have a great success ratio from his summer signings. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

2 hours ago, Mr.Blue said:

Strapp didn't sign a new deal until the first day of pre season last year. To me thqt indicates that he was weighing up his options and we were a last resort. Could be the case the strapp has told Dougie he doesn't really want to be here and wants to try something new. If that's the case and his mind is made up then it's pointless for Dougie to do anything else but what he has done.

A plausible narrative but would seem strange that both Strapp and Dougie's rhetoric is that it was Dougie's decision that has pushed Strapp to look elsewhere if that was the case.

It could be that Strapp 'and his agent' think he's worthy of being something like the top earner at the club but Imrie isn't willing to shift to that level on that. I'm not sure what has been said makes sense otherwise. If Strapp and those around him have taken the position that he's a higher level player who's happy to stay if he's paid as such, Imrie might have responded by saying that this could well be but we're not going to pay him what he's looking for here. 

Sometimes moving away works out, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it's best for players to test themselves outside of their comfort zone, sometimes that comfort zone is the best place for them. It would have been nice to have kept Strapp on as long as possible. I think it's positive to have some longer term players. I doubt Imrie is trying to be charitable to Strapp at the expense of the club - he either think he wants to much money or, well, maybe he just doesn't like him. It's impossible to know form the outside what's happened, but it is disappointing. 

54 minutes ago, port-ton said:

I thought Waters had another good game on Saturday again after a slowish start. I'd be more than happy for him to replace Strapp next season. 

With so many signed up for next season it's going to be interesting to see what qualities Dougie feels he needs to add to compliment what's already here. We are so used to ripping the squad apart and starting again so he's not going to have much room for manoeuvre and needs to have a great success ratio from his summer signings. 

I thought Water's had perhaps his best game for us on Saturday, solid at the back and passed the ball better, but our best chance with his crosses is definitely still another flukey back post goal.

We don't want to rip it up and start again, but we do need a little bit more quality if we want to step it up a level (and it could be a tougher league next season so we might need to step up to even stay where we are in terms of league position). There might need to be one or two pretty ruthless calls if there are better players we might get in. 

4 hours ago, Jamie_M said:

A plausible narrative but would seem strange that both Strapp and Dougie's rhetoric is that it was Dougie's decision that has pushed Strapp to look elsewhere if that was the case.

That’s correct, the statements don’t marry up with what happened. Was Dougie also taking our promotion prospects into account when he said Lewis wasn’t in his plans for next season, if that would also be strange if he’s also saying Lewis could maybe play at higher level, which promotion with Morton would’ve provided.