Squad for next Season - Page 81 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Squad for next Season

11 hours ago, Cet Homme Charmant said:

If it was, maybe his relative lack of height was a factor?

Lack of height somehow never seemed to be a problem for 5'5" Diego Maradona. Not a defender admittedly - but a world-class shortarse. Height has fuck all to do with a player's talent, passion, commitrment, and ability to get the job done. BIG 'not part of the plan' mistake by Dougie IMHO.

• Downvote 1

18 hours ago, SassenachTon said:

Lack of height somehow never seemed to be a problem for 5'5" Diego Maradona. Not a defender admittedly - but a world-class shortarse. Height has fuck all to do with a player's talent, passion, commitrment, and ability to get the job done. BIG 'not part of the plan' mistake by Dougie IMHO.

It's a very significant factor for a defender though where the ability to defend high balls into the box is a big part of their game, which renders your whole point meaningless. Being a relatively short defender is probably not a huge disadvantage at our level, as in fact he's proved, but at a higher level when up against more mobile and talented attackers and where deliveries into the box will generally be more accurate, I think he'd struggle. Maybe that was a factor in the reason no one took a punt on him last summer for a relatively modest development fee.

Of course I'd be delighted if me proved me wrong, as it goes without saying I'd love him to go on and have a great career in the game.

Edited by Cet Homme Charmant
  • Upvote 1

There’s no footballing justification for deciding you don’t want Lewis Strapp in the Scottish Championship, let’s face it, just as there isn’t any for insisting on Calvin Miller and Ali Crawford amongst others.

In terms of height, Strapp is the same height (according to transfermarkt) as Andy Robertson and Kieran Tierney, and taller than Jordi Alba, Dani Alves, Dani Carvajal, Marcelo and Phillip Lahm to name just a few. It’s nonsense to suggest you have to be a giant to succeed as a modern full-back.

AWMSC

We don't play at a level (or to a standard) where modern full backs is a relevant comparison. Fucking Marcelo is not the benchmark for a Scottish second tier footballer. 

That said, there's no evidence to suggest that height is even the issue. Imrie is not Sir David Irons, he is not filling his squad with six foot three hammer-throwers (more's the pity - if he did then we wouldn't have been meekly bodied out of certain home games since the New Year).

The more apparent issue in Strapp's game at the moment is anticipation and marking back post runs from crosses and sometimes set piece defending too. But yesterday's display clearly shows that those issues are not isolated to Strapp alone in this squad. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

I posted a wee while back that Strapp had said he was leaving. I don't really blame Imrie for not wasting time negotiating with someone who doesn't want to be here.

He has been a tremendous servant and I hope he heads down South for a well earned payday and a crack at League1/2. 

• Upvote 1

Another concern about Strapp is that he's been out injured for months. Knowing his character on the field I imagine it won't dampen his determination or play style but it could potentially be a problem injury for him too.

We should have at least tabled the boy and offer though. 

47 minutes ago, Hej said:

Can see him going to Falkirk or Dunfermline. I'd be surprised if a top flight club here or a League 1 team in England picked him up.

If Calum Waters could get a top flight club, surely Strapp can too. He's got improvements to make, particularly in his marking at set pieces, but there are worse than Strapp in the top flight. 

46 minutes ago, Hej said:

Can see him going to Falkirk or Dunfermline. I'd be surprised if a top flight club here or a League 1 team in England picked him up.

While it would be disappointing to see him going to another Championship side, I suspect you may be right. I love his attitude and commitment, and I'd hate to see him playing against us, but the fact that no one took a punt on him last summer when they could have got him for a modest development fee suggests he's probably at the right level. 

I think if he did step up to the Premiership it would be to the likes of Livingston, St Johnstone, Motherwell or Ross County, and it would be as a squad player for cover, rather than as a regular starter. He would probably still make a lot more money than as a regular starter in the Championship though, so it wouldn't be a bad move for him from a financial point of view. 

Edited by Cet Homme Charmant

I find it strange that Imrie is happy to build for next season without trying to keep such an established player as Strapp. That would be one less position to fill instead of hoping a new signing will tick the same boxes. When he won the manager of the month awards he was making  all the right decisions and saying all the right things. I’m hoping he can get back to that level with his plans for next season, as he seems to have inexplicably given up on this season.

• Downvote 1

23 minutes ago, DreamOakTree said:

I find it strange that Imrie is happy to build for next season without trying to keep such an established player as Strapp. That would be one less position to fill instead of hoping a new signing will tick the same boxes. When he won the manager of the month awards he was making  all the right decisions and saying all the right things. I’m hoping he can get back to that level with his plans for next season, as he seems to have inexplicably given up on this season.

Do we know for sure he didn't try to keep him? They don't sell the Tele here so I didn't read the article in question.

35 minutes ago, DreamOakTree said:

I’m hoping he can get back to that level with his plans for next season, as he seems to have inexplicably given up on this season.

Did your wife come up with that nonsense hot take, or was it your own work? 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

It also seems quite clear that Imrie is looking for someone to tick different boxes, in which case offering a new deal to Strapp is pointless. Whether those boxes are focused on personality or a different kind of full-back is less clear. But having found Jamie Brandon and Grimshaw in 18 months, I see no good reason to second guess the manager's judgment in this area of the squad. 

We have plenty of players signed for next season - arguably too many because there's an upgrade needed in areas of the park (especially central midfield) that is going to be difficult to do without moving contracted players on first. 

Edited by vikingTON

I'm disappointed if it's true that Imrie doesn't even want to keep Strapp.  He's one of our best players and whilst I think he would probably leave in search of more money anyway, to effectively release him without even trying to retain him seems a bit daft.  who has he got pencilled in that would do a better job - and as for his lack of height, IIRC that didn't stop Imrie playing him at centre back on occasion.  Will be very disappointing if he ends up at another championship club (unless it's the English championship).

I did wonder if Calum Waters might be incoming - he seems to have done a reasonable job while with us.  That goal on Saturday was decent even if it wan't intentional - the ayr keeper must be somewhat disappointed with making such an arse of it.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

6 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

Did your wife come up with that nonsense hot take, or was it your own work? 

No that one came straight from the Greenock Telegraph! Either Darragh O’Connor wasn’t meant to reveal what Dougie said to the squad, or one or both of them was misquoted.

• Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, Alibi said:

I'm disappointed if it's true that Imrie doesn't even want to keep Strapp.  He's one of our best players and whilst I think he would probably leave in search of more money anyway, to effectively release him without even trying to retain him seems a bit daft.  

Again, did the article explicitly state that he didn't try to keep him?