Squad for next Season - Page 80 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Squad for next Season

32 minutes ago, Cet Homme Charmant said:

He'll join a very long list of players who lived to regret leaving the Famous. Mark my words!

He’s been told he’s not in Imrie’s plans. Expected him to move on but thought we’d at least try to keep him 

• Upvote 1

It's not been hard to figure out from some public comments that Imrie and Strapp don't get on well off the pitch, and he was always near certain to have better offers this summer anyway so I didn't expect him to stay. Regardless of having no confidence of keeping him though, not even making him an offer is a baffling decision. There is almost no chance of us getting a replacement of the same calibre, and in the unlikely event he doesn't have top flight or English offers then we'll look extremely daft if he ends up at Ayr or something while we have an inferior player at left back. Get an offer on the table and if he doesn't take it then so be it.

• Upvote 2

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

8 minutes ago, Cet Homme Charmant said:

I suspect his wage demands were above what Douglas thought he was worth, or what we could afford. 

A dreadful take. There's no good evidence to support your view that wage demands or budget was an issue here. If it was, why wouldn't Imrie state that? 

Players move on for financial reasons all the time - this statement puts any and all potential flak on the manager instead. There's no reason to believe that it isn't genuine. 

2 minutes ago, SassenachTon said:

FTFY

Another dreadful take: provide that very long list of players since 2000 please. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

26 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

A dreadful take. There's no good evidence to support your view that wage demands or budget was an issue here. If it was, why wouldn't Imrie state that? 

Of course I'm speculating, any maybe it is a dreadful take, it's of course also possible that Douglas made the decision purely for footballing reasons. I think that's unlikely though, but obviously not impossible. If it was, maybe his relative lack of height was a factor?

1 hour ago, Cet Homme Charmant said:

Of course I'm speculating, any maybe it is a dreadful take, it's of course also possible that Douglas made the decision purely for footballing reasons. I think that's unlikely though, but obviously not impossible. If it was, maybe his relative lack of height was a factor?

He wasn't replying to you, the dreadful take was sassenach tons.

18 minutes ago, Cappiecat 1.2 said:

He wasn't replying to you, the dreadful take was sassenach tons.

They were both dreadful takes, at opposite ends of the spectrum.

If we were to replace Strapp with Waters (has done fine given the circumstances) then that would be a clear downgrade for me. It's seems clear that the manager wants a different person for that role, but he needs to already have a pretty good replacement in mind.

I can see Strapp going to Forest Green or similar in the summer and all the best to him. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Has anyone considered that Imrie may not rate Strapp? He's welk thought of by the large majority of the fan base but if memory serves me right it took a while for him to cement a place in Dougies team.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

13 minutes ago, Mr.Blue said:

Has anyone considered that Imrie may not rate Strapp? He's welk thought of by the large majority of the fan base but if memory serves me right it took a while for him to cement a place in Dougies team.

He's relatively short for a defender nowadays. No idea obviously if that's a factor in Douglas' decision, if indeed it was his, but that's his only obvious 'weakness' IMO.

While I always assumed Strapp was off at the end of the season it is head scratching to hear the decision was effectively made for him. It was not that long ago we were being told a crucial element in the financial viability of the club was through rearing young talent to sell on. Lyon now Strapp look are not going to make the club money, leaving us with McGrattan and King as the next 'projects'. Concerning then to see both players getting less game time especially as they were an integral part of the squad that performed so well up to the beginning of the year. 

• Upvote 1

Can’t believe this news. Has Imrie got free rein on recruitment now as well as our policy on whether we want to go for promotion. If I was a board member I’d be questioning his commitment to the club and how his decisions are affecting our ambitions. He told the players after we reached 40 points that our target was achieved so they should just enjoy the rest of the season. Are the board aligned with that attitude and if not what are they doing about it. He’s spending the club’s hard earned cash on vanity projects such as Ali and Calvin, whilst telling a club stalwart who would rag doll both of them at the same time, even with an injury. If Dougie thinks Lewis isn’t big or physical enough he should challenge him to a fight and the winner stays at Cappielow. It would last about 3 seconds!

• Downvote 6

52 minutes ago, HamCam said:

While I always assumed Strapp was off at the end of the season it is head scratching to hear the decision was effectively made for him. It was not that long ago we were being told a crucial element in the financial viability of the club was through rearing young talent to sell on. Lyon now Strapp look are not going to make the club money, leaving us with McGrattan and King as the next 'projects'. Concerning then to see both players getting less game time especially as they were an integral part of the squad that performed so well up to the beginning of the year. 

The same brains' trust that actually claimed we'd sell Braeside regens to sustainability also put in place the disastrous 2013-14 squad structure. We might pay lip service to that idea now but if any professional employee at GMFC thinks that it is part of our financial strategy, they should be dispelled of it. We need to get more revenue both on matchdays and as a general business to grow the club. 

We also can't have it both ways. I'd be surprised if there wasn't an offer for Strapp - either while under contract or an enquiry about negotiating our compensation requirement last summer. We were happy to see him re-sign, but this meant that the immediate transfer value to the club was always going to be zero - his contribution on the park was preferred. Perhaps he'll end up going for £10 million in England later in his career and we'll get a cut of that.

Once the season is formally done I agree that McGrattan and King  should get a run of games, but the uproar about them is over the top. King in particular has had plenty of match time for a breakthrough season. We don't even know what his main position is supposed to be yet, so demanding that he regularly start games is premature. 

We've heard one side of the story. We have only Lewis' words to go on, on exactly how the decision was made, was communicated to him, and whether any negotiations preceded it. I'm far from happy that we're losing him but I'm also not yet just going to accept that the decision was "Dougie doesn't want Lewis under any circumstances." If it was, I'd call that a poor decision on Imrie's part. But we don't know that to be the case. Imrie (as far as I know?) hasn't said anything about this at all.

EOho8Pw.png

1 hour ago, DreamOakTree said:

Can’t believe this news. Has Imrie got free rein on recruitment now as well as our policy on whether we want to go for promotion. If I was a board member I’d be questioning his commitment to the club and how his decisions are affecting our ambitions. He told the players after we reached 40 points that our target was achieved so they should just enjoy the rest of the season. Are the board aligned with that attitude and if not what are they doing about it. He’s spending the club’s hard earned cash on vanity projects such as Ali and Calvin, whilst telling a club stalwart who would rag doll both of them at the same time, even with an injury. If Dougie thinks Lewis isn’t big or physical enough he should challenge him to a fight and the winner stays at Cappielow. It would last about 3 seconds!

Jesus Wept. 

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

1 hour ago, DreamOakTree said:

Who on the board has any sort of experience or right to discuss the players we have?