Squad for next Season - Page 70 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Squad for next Season

55 minutes ago, Cet Homme Charmant said:

I can't be arsed checking to confirm

Yes, we've noticed that as you've cherry-picked random results and harrumphed your way through the thread.

Btw, the clincher is when you keep trying to exclude some Scottish teams' results to make your 'point' seem in any way credible. Why aren't we excluding Shamrock Rovers, who are the moneyed powerhouse of your farmer's league (with very close ties to Celtic)?

You can't pick and choose which teams are representative of a league only when it suits your dung argument.  

• Like 1

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

3 hours ago, vikingTON said:

Yes, we've noticed that as you've cherry-picked random results and harrumphed your way through the thread.

Btw, the clincher is when you keep trying to exclude some Scottish teams' results to make your 'point' seem in any way credible. Why aren't we excluding Shamrock Rovers, who are the moneyed powerhouse of your farmer's league (with very close ties to Celtic)?

You can't pick and choose which teams are representative of a league only when it suits your dung argument.  

Yeah, just like you cherry-picked my post :)

Of course the overall standard of the Scottish Premiership is higher than the LOI. That's not in doubt, and if I gave the impression I was arguing otherwise, that wasn't my intention. But the discussions till now had been comparing it to the Championship, and in particular TRVMP's opinion that it's somewhat weaker. I believe if it was really as weak as he suggests, they would not have been able to achieve some of the results in Europe that they have. That's a more reasoned argument, I believe, than hypothetical assertions (i.e., QP this season would be unbeaten in the LOI).

Edited by Cet Homme Charmant
  • Upvote 1

Dundalk arguably performed better in their Europa League group than Hearts did in their Conference group. Certainly didnt embarrass themselves like the jam farts did against Fiorentina and Istanbul Baskahahskerhs 

image.png

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Hej said:

Dundalk arguably performed better in their Europa League group than Hearts did in their Conference group. Certainly didnt embarrass themselves like the jam farts did against Fiorentina and Istanbul Baskahahskerhs 

image.png

Hearts won six points in their Conference League group, that assertion’s just nonsense.

8 minutes ago, Hej said:

image.png

They actually did a lot better in 2016, when they managed 4 points in the Europa League group stage, and only lost the other 4 games by a single goal

image.png

46 minutes ago, Toby said:

Hearts won six points in their Conference League group, that assertion’s just nonsense.

They won 6 pointts against some guff from Latvia, and were utterly battered in the 4 games against the two decent teams. Dundalk had 3 decent teams and performed to a good standard in all of them. So not remotely nonsense actually

Edited by Hej
  • Downvote 2

3 hours ago, Cet Homme Charmant said:

Yeah, just like you cherry-picked my post :)

Of course the overall standard of the Scottish Premiership is higher than the LOI. That's not in doubt, and if I gave the impression I was arguing otherwise, that wasn't my intention. But the discussions till now had been comparing it to the Championship, and in particular TRVMP's opinion that it's somewhat weaker. I believe if it was really as weak as he suggests, they would not have been able to achieve some of the results in Europe that they have. That's a more reasoned argument, I believe, than hypothetical assertions (i.e., QP this season would be unbeaten in the LOI).

My contention is that their good European results are few and far between - three good seasons out of the last eleven, one of which had a very fortuitous Champions Path, for example - and in bread-and-butter, head-to-head contests lately Scottish teams even low down our leagues have done fine. Yes, you can make the case that the LoI outfits aren't treating the Challenge Cup as seriously as they might treat their own league, but the same is just as true for the Scottish teams. 

Annoyingly, other than that Sligo-Motherwell game, LoI sides just don't seem to face Scottish teams in Europe very often. In fact the last one was Gretna against Derry, which was obviously a weird situation over 15 years ago now.

You look at QP's squad and then you look at the ex-SPFL players who are doing well in Ireland and I don't think it's at all unreasonable to say that they'd go unbeaten, or very close to it.

EOho8Pw.png

28 minutes ago, Hej said:

They won 6 pointts against some guff from Latvia, and were utterly battered in the 4 games against the two decent teams. Dundalk had 3 decent teams and performed to a good standard in all of them. So not remotely nonsense actually

It really is nonsense. I could understand if you used CHC’s example, but zero points is zero points.

It’s like saying the Brechin team that were bodied out of the Championship did better than most of League One the same season. You’re just making things up for a laugh.

19 minutes ago, Toby said:

It really is nonsense. I could understand if you used CHC’s example, but zero points is zero points.

It’s like saying the Brechin team that were bodied out of the Championship did better than most of League One the same season. You’re just making things up for a laugh.

I said they arguably performed better. Which they did, with 5 good performances against 3 good teams. Hearts scraping past some Latvian jobbers and getting their arse handed to them by Fiorentina and Istanbul is not a better performance. Do you really think Hearts happier with their European campaign than the Dundalk fans?

The cheek to come out with that nonsense Brechin equivalence and accuse me of making stuff up for a laugh in the same breathe

Edited by Hej

3 minutes ago, Hej said:

I said they arguably performed better. Which they did, with 5 good performances against 3 good teams. Hearts scraping past some Latvian jobbers and getting their arse handed to them by Fiorentina and Istanbul is not a better performance. Do you really think Hearts happier with their European campaign than the Dundalk fans?

The cheek to come out with that nonsense Brechin equivalence and accuse me of making stuff up for a laugh in the same breathe

If you’re going to make ridiculous assertions, then expect ridicule for them.

I’m quite happy to defend the League of Ireland, as you’ll see from previous posts, but in no way can zero points from six games ever be considered any sort of success for anyone.

It’s the absolute definition of making up the numbers.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Toby said:

If you’re going to make ridiculous assertions, then expect ridicule for them.

I’m quite happy to defend the League of Ireland, as you’ll see from previous posts, but in no way can zero points from six games ever be considered any sort of success for anyone.

It’s the absolute definition of making up the numbers.

Where did I say it was a success? Is that you making up more nonsense? 🤥 Please respond to what I've actually posted, not what you imagine I've posted.

I said they performed admirably in a really tough group, and will be pleased they didn't have their pants round their ankles at any points like Hearts did. 

Edited by Hej
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, Hej said:

Where did I say it was a success? Is that you making up more nonsense? 🤥 Please respond to what I've actually posted, not what you imagine I've posted.

I said they performed admirably in a really tough group, and will be pleased they didn't have their pants round their ankles at any points like Hearts did. 

Usual from the usual.

Relative to Hearts, you absolutely have portrayed zero points from six games as a success, saying they’ll be “happier” and performed “admirably”. There’s nothing to be happy about, or to admire about getting beaten in every single game, no matter how much you try to kid on that there is.

Even San Marino aren’t happy with losing every game of a qualifying campaign- there’s no credit to be given in such a performance, but even you probably know that anyway.

1 hour ago, Toby said:

Usual from the usual.

Relative to Hearts, you absolutely have portrayed zero points from six games as a success, saying they’ll be “happier” and performed “admirably”. There’s nothing to be happy about, or to admire about getting beaten in every single game, no matter how much you try to kid on that there is.

Even San Marino aren’t happy with losing every game of a qualifying campaign- there’s no credit to be given in such a performance, but even you probably know that anyway.

Nope, that's another thing you've imagined. 👍

I don't its actually up to you to decide what performance metrics Dundalk need to perform to in order to be satisfied with their European campaigns to be fair. You should consult the - very satisfied - Dundalk fans.

Anyway I've just noticed Dundalk weren't even in the Europa League this year (knocked out in stoic fashion by Dutch cracks Vitesse Arnhem in an admirable 3-4 defeat), I'm looking at the 2020 campaign. What a nonsense waste of time.

This thread seems to have gone way off piste.  Who gives a fuck about the Irish leagues?  OK, we've signed someone on loan from Glentoran (someone who wasn't considered to be much good in a pretty poor Queen of the South team that got relegated) but FFS can we not maybe discuss who else we would like to sign or who we'd like to punt?

• Upvote 2

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

8 minutes ago, Hej said:

Nope, that's another thing you've imagined. 👍

I don't its actually up to you to decide what performance metrics Dundalk need to perform to in order to be satisfied with their European campaigns to be fair. You should consult the - very satisfied - Dundalk fans.

Anyway I've just noticed Dundalk weren't even in the Europa League this year (knocked out in stoic fashion by Dutch cracks Vitesse Arnhem in an admirable 3-4 defeat), I'm looking at the 2020 campaign. What a nonsense waste of time.

Think you’ll find that they were knocked out of the Conference League qualifiers  last season by Vitesse, not the Europa League, and not this season. Would you like to fuck up your argument any more or will we just leave it at that?

I’m sure the Dundalk fans were extremely satisfied with their zero points, zero goals, zero draws and zero wins from this term’s admirable campaign.

But that’s not for me to judge.

30 minutes ago, Toby said:

Think you’ll find that they were knocked out of the Conference League qualifiers  last season by Vitesse, not the Europa League, and not this season. Would you like to fuck up your argument any more or will we just leave it at that?

I’m sure the Dundalk fans were extremely satisfied with their zero points, zero goals, zero draws and zero wins from this term’s admirable campaign.

But that’s not for me to judge.

"I think you'll find" 😂. lol @ you acting like you were any the wiser at until I humbly pointed it out myself.

They were, I've checked the forum. 

And correct. First thing you've got right all day.