Squad for next Season - Page 67 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Squad for next Season

Very early days and there's every chance he'll show it over time, but I didn't see anything in Miller's performance yesterday that justified dropping McGrattan for him.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

18 hours ago, Mr.Blue said:

No kabia in the squad today. Assuming he's back to livi?

He was training on Friday and at Firhill so an assumption with more foundation is that he had a knock.

Marvin Bartley appointed QOS manager so they are likely to be joining us in looking at Livi for loans these days.

Maybe send Kabia down there. He was OK in League 1.

We have 10 players (including the keeper) who start every game, a very few of whom may be replaced very late in the match. This may become 11 with Miller replacing McGrattan. Unlike most, if not all, of our rival clubs, none of these players have a competitor for their place in the starting eleven. This means we are maybe asking too much of these players, don’t have enough options to change things and that predictability is possibly making the opposition management’s preparations easier. I’m hoping the reason we’ve just released several players is to make way for replacements who are of similar standard to our current first picks, therefore can challenge for a starting place or influence the game from the bench, preferably with something different. Dundee brought on 3 attack minded subs against Raith Rovers at half-time on Friday and they changed the game. I’m not suggesting we could finance that sort of squad, but something a bit more competitive than our current set-up would be welcome.

13 hours ago, port-ton said:

Seems to be a bit of a weird attitude towards Kabia for me that's bordering on being personal and nasty from some when  he's contributed to a promising season so far for the team. I'm by no means his biggest fan but He's a young inexperienced guy on loan and he hasn't quite been up to the standard required most weeks but I don't think he deserves to be singled out as a massive weak link that is miles off it like he's Adam Coakley or something.

Wish him all the best for his contribution and hopefully we have replaced him with someone more consistent in Miller. 

I'm sure if you ask nicely, you'd still be able to organise an Irish themed tribute day for him..

TIME FOR CHANGE!

Be interesting to see who we manage to get in. Thinking back to the game on Saturday and the general depth of the squad if we are able to get 2 decent options who can help us out it really changes a lot. I think the obvious one would be another option up front, Muirhead has been brilliant this season and I can't speak highly enough how much he has improved in the past year or so but on Saturday he was non existent, it's asking a lot for him to play 90 mins every week and keep up the level of performances he has shown at the start of the season. 

I also think another centre mid would be a shout, I thought at the weekend we struggled to get close to them in midfield and could have done with someone with that bit of bite who can win us the ball back. Crawford runs into the ground every game and his work rate is exceptional I thought Blues and Gillespie struggled against their midfield.

Miller has been signed you would think as a winger even if he could quite comfortably play left back also I think Kabia will go back to Livingston. Quitongo works hard can beat people and has great energy but his final ball and goalscoring record is pretty poor if he had an end product I think he could quite comfortable play at the top level. We really need options as I really don't think Imrie fancies much of what he has on the bench as he seems hesitant to make many changes even when we are playing poorly. I also have no idea why King is not playing a lot more I know he has made a good few appearances but I really would be tempted to maybe stick him in midfield for a run in the team to see what sort of impact he can have as I think IMO he could be the answer for us.  

22 hours ago, port-ton said:

Seems to be a bit of a weird attitude towards Kabia for me that's bordering on being personal and nasty from some when  he's contributed to a promising season so far for the team. I'm by no means his biggest fan but He's a young inexperienced guy on loan and he hasn't quite been up to the standard required most weeks but I don't think he deserves to be singled out as a massive weak link that is miles off it like he's Adam Coakley or something.

Wish him all the best for his contribution and hopefully we have replaced him with someone more consistent in Miller. 

Aye, I think he's maybe been a wee bit too harshly judged at times too, although that's not to say that it's not the right thing for him to go back to Livingston and probably go to a lower level for the rest of the season. It's just not been the right time or place for him, but these things happen and I wish him well - I get the impression he's quite a "delicate" character (for want of a better word) overall, so we'll see if he can toughen up to make the most of the ability he has, but I certainly don't bear him any ill will for that even if it wasn't what we needed. 

Really looking forward to see what unfolds over the next few weeks now, it's evident that the decks are being cleared for new arrivals and you have to be quite confident that they'll be significant upgrades on what we have (or had). 

Edited by EanieMeany

AWMSC

A signing that made sense on paper and there were a couple of games where he played well, but ultimately he's not good enough for the Championship. I wouldn't be particularly surprised if he turns out to be a decent player at this level should he get another chance at it in a couple of seasons time, but he's definitely not ready for it just now and needs to drop back to League One to play more.

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

1 hour ago, TRVMP said:

Above all else, a firm reminder that the League of Ireland is absolute rubbish.

True, but we should also bear in mind that Sligo Rovers comfortably dispatched Motherwell 3-0 over 2 legs of the UEFA Conference League qualifier, so I would doubt the standard is much lower than the Championship

Edited by Cet Homme Charmant

Kabia has the makings of a good player but he was very frustrating to watch and I think Dougie felt the same given his reactions, substitutions etc. He spent far too much time on the ground for me. Needs to address that.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

16 minutes ago, Mr.Blue said:

Kabia has the makings of a good player but he was very frustrating to watch and I think Dougie felt the same given his reactions, substitutions etc. He spent far too much time on the ground for me. Needs to address that.

Aye, flashes of a good player there and definitely someone who had potential to make a difference in games (more likely as a sub). 

Hopefully we can get a couple in now. Don't really have many options that can change a game. 

3 hours ago, Cet Homme Charmant said:

True, but we should also bear in mind that Sligo Rovers comfortably dispatched Motherwell 3-0 over 2 legs of the UEFA Conference League qualifier, so I would doubt the standard is much lower than the Championship

Other fixtures between Scottish and Irish sides in recent years have included Elgin 2-0 Bray Wanderers, Sligo 1-2 Falkirk, Airdrie 3-2 Bohemians and Stenhousemuir 3-2 Waterford.

Their best sides could make a fight of surviving in the Championship, but most of them would be relegation fodder in League One and I'd expect Morton (along with everyone else in the Championship other than Hamilton) to win that league at a canter. Motherwell having probably the worst result of their history doesn't change that.

• Upvote 1

Oh Lord, Brian Wake