Squad for next Season - Page 65 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Squad for next Season

Always seemed like a good lad and a decent player. Was never convinced he was championship quality. All the best to him.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

Sorry to see Hynes go but at this stage it’s probably what’s best for both him and the club.  He hasn’t played a lot of games for someone his age (Hopkin should have sent him out on loan if he wasn’t going to play) and as a result he isn’t quite where he should be in his development at age 23.

Really good guy and definitely has the ability to make a decent career in the game, but in order to fulfil this he has to go somewhere that he will get regular game time.

Best wishes Darren and thanks for your efforts.

• Upvote 1

I had honestly forgotten Hynes was still around seems the best option for everyone involved was never going to get any game time here and it frees up a wage. Wonder if Kabia will be sent back to Livingston next and maybe McGregor possibly sent out on loan for game time. 

Makes sense. Dougie clearly didn't see him in his squad. I'm liking how the board/ Dougie are going about our business. Seem to have a long term plan (as long as it van be in football) with extending contracts and also ruthless but fair when releasing players.

With Hynes and Jacobs away, every player at the club has now had a new contract since Imrie got the job. Debates about how much he had to do with some of those contracts for younger players of course, but it's pretty much entirely his squad now.

Ultimately I wouldn't be surprised if Jacobs is still good enough for the Championship, but he was never fitting Imrie's style of play and it's therefore the right decision. His time ending with  a loan spell to a lower league side shouldn't have us forgetting that he was comfortably one of our best players in his first two seasons with the club. Good luck to him, as he can't play for anyone other than Edinburgh for the rest of the season I look forward to him swording Falkirk.

• Upvote 2

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Surprise that McGregor has been allowed to leave. Him and hynes leaving has us a little light for numbers on Saturday although Miller should be available.  Wonder if there's a signing incoming.

2 minutes ago, TONofmemories said:

Hopefully a sign of more players to come in, or just balancing the books?

Wonder whats in store for Lyon

Harder to agree release of him when he has another year but I expect the conversation will have happened.

Surprised to see McGregor go, thought he'd have been away on loan for the rest of the season to see how he does rather than being released but with someone that young you never know if it's entirely football reasons, if he just doesn't fancy full-time football or whatever. Good luck to him anyway.

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Three out and one in. Have to remember Garrity is back also with the intention he takes McGregor's spot off the bench. Wasn't Jacobs rumoured to be one of our higher earners too? Wouldn't be surprised to see another body added before Saturdays game.

5 minutes ago, ChampTon said:

Three out and one in. Have to remember Garrity is back also with the intention he takes McGregor's spot off the bench. Wasn't Jacobs rumoured to be one of our higher earners too? Wouldn't be surprised to see another body added before Saturdays game.

So you could really say it's 2 out, 2 in, so no change.

Love us being ruthless and having a good clear out it's been long overdue no point keeping players who clearly don't fit or aren't good enough. 

Surprised at McGregor as he is still young and looked quite decent anytime I saw him but again was barely getting any game time thought a loan would be good idea but obviously Imrie knows what he is looking for. 

Does leave us quite light in terms of bodies but I would imagine we would have some incomings surely. 

Have to admire how Dougie is going about his business. No room for sentimentality, if you're not good enough to have added value, then it's thanks for your efforts, but time to move on. Also best for the guys concerned as hopefully they'll get more game time elsewhere. 

Nevertheless, they all seem like good honest guys, so I hope they do well wherever they end up. 

21 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

McGregor also.

The wording of this announcement being different to the others has me wondering what's going on**

**as in, is it non-football reasons and he's asked to leave or what.

Edited by so72

2 minutes ago, so72 said:

The wording of this announcement being different to the others has me wondering what's going on**

**as in, is it non-football reasons and he's asked to leave or what.

Or it was less mutual (no coming to an agreement) so just told he is released?

1 minute ago, Jamie_M said:

Or it was less mutual (no coming to an agreement) so just told he is released?

If it's not mutual then presumably we'd have to pay off the remainder of his contract in full, in which case we'd be as well holding on to him for emergency cover. So I would guess it's at his request, rather than Dougie's choice?