Squad for next Season - Page 56 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Squad for next Season

Don’t think we’d be able to sign Griffiths until  anyway, as I remember reading he was contracted to that daft wee Australian club until something like 3rd September, just after the window closed, which I thought was mental.

With Ambrose you can make the case that he was alright in a limited role at Dunfermline and although they did get relegated he wasn't a major factor in that.

With Griffiths, he clearly had "moves" while at Falkirk, but did nothing to create or score the goals they needed to come back up from League One.

It's a no from me.

EOho8Pw.png

8 hours ago, Toby said:

He also faced Messi twice in 2012-13, a 2-1 win for Celtic that they mention about as much as we mention our SWORDING of them the following year and a 1-2 defeat in the Nou Camp. As well as two appearances against Barcelona in 2013-14. Their second 0-1 home defeat in consecutive midweeks and a 1-6 trousering in Catalonia, although Messi didn’t play in either.

8 hours ago, Jamie_M said:

He also faced him for Celtic in 2012 Champions League.

Nacho Novo, Champions League 2007.

Andy McNeil, David Van Zanten for Hibs, David Robertson for Dundee Utd - Barca pre-season tour of Scotland in 2008.

Cheers lads - but absolutely not having the pre-season games. You'd be as well saying they played them on FIFA.

Here's hoping Ambrose works out better than Novo.

• Upvote 1

EOho8Pw.png

Our style of play limits what Ambrose needs to do as a centre back so I'm quietly confident that limiting his opportunities to make a fanny of things will lead to him being an acceptable option for us. Just get your head on it and defend your box Efe mate. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

1 hour ago, Toby said:

Don’t think we’d be able to sign Griffiths until  anyway, as I remember reading he was contracted to that daft wee Australian club until something like 3rd September, just after the window closed, which I thought was mental.

Aye  it was until 3rd September, just a few days after the window closed, which seemed like a brain dead thing to do if he cared about getting a proper club again.

Less so if his motivation was taking a holiday to visit family and finding a club willing to pay for his travel in exchange for playing in a couple of end of season dead rubbers, which seems like the case.

9 hours ago, Jamie_M said:

He also faced him for Celtic in 2012 Champions League.

Nacho Novo, Champions League 2007.

Andy McNeil, David Van Zanten for Hibs, David Robertson for Dundee Utd - Barca pre-season tour of Scotland in 2008.

15 hours ago, TRVMP said:

Just curious - is Ambrose our only ever player to have faced Lionel Messi? (2014 World Cup.)

If you're counting players who played against him after leaving Morton, Paul Hartley did twice in 2007/08 Champions League.

Hartley surely the only Morton alumni to have played against Messi AND Ronaldo?

Edited by Hej
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Hej said:

If you're counting players who played against him after leaving Morton, Paul Hartley did twice in 2007/08 Champions League.

Hartley surely the only Morton alumni to have played against Messi AND Ronaldo?

Aye, I left Hartley off the list as wasn't a Morton player that had previously faced Messi.

Seeing as the list of players who move upwards after leaving Morton isn't very expansive, you are probably right on your Messi Ronaldo point.

As for listing the friendlies, understandably discounted. Felt they were worth noting. Messi did score 4 over the 2 games. 

2 hours ago, Jamie_M said:

Aye  it was until 3rd September, just a few days after the window closed, which seemed like a brain dead thing to do if he cared about getting a proper club again.

Less so if his motivation was taking a holiday to visit family and finding a club willing to pay for his travel in exchange for playing in a couple of end of season dead rubbers, which seems like the case.

He was hoping a few games at a joke level over there would get him an A-League offer.

Proper football clubs were never on the agenda.

• Upvote 1

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

8 minutes ago, DreamOakTree said:

David Martindale says Griffiths is getting himself fit but Livvi can’t afford to sign him! Where does that leave us?

We were never going to sign him anyway, so it doesn’t “leave us” anywhere in regard to Griffiths.

Next.

Griffiths would be the new Gary O’Connor. A waste of money. He’s finished.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

I was talking to Garry O'Connor yesterday at the barbers. He still strolls about, on the scrounge, in his trackies hoping people remember him. Griffiths is on the same career path to oblivion so no surprise it is a big no from me.

Dunno why anybody is even wasting time on the idea of Griffiths. If there’s a risk with Ambrose it’s simply down to it being near the end of a long career and a natural decline, but Griffiths chucked being a serious proposition as a footballer years ago.

If somebody else takes a punt on him and he’s somehow able to do a job against all odds then good luck to them, but it’d be an absolute mug who would do it…what’s that, you say? Falkirk did? There you go then.

• Upvote 1

AWMSC

• 2 weeks later...

I think some of us on here, myself included, owe an apology to Dougie and Jai. Dougie for questioning his judgement in offering Jai a contract, and Jai for questioning his ability, injury record, and attitude. I know we're only a third of the way through the season, but so far they've both proved us doubters very wrong. I'm eating a large slice of humble pie, and feel a bit of a dick. So, sorry Jai, and sorry Dougie.

• Upvote 1

On 7/9/2022 at 1:01 PM, TRVMP said:

Meanwhile I took a look at Partick. A lineup comprising almost all seasoned pros and a full bench also with some decent depth, and they squeezed 2-1 past Stenny. I'm not saying we're ready for a 40-game season but am I fussed that we don't have a bloated, expensive squad like them? Far from it. 

I was going back through the thread looking for the takes on Quitongo (most people weren't enthusiastic - myself included - but in general people wanted to give him a chance) and found this post which aged very well. 

Our lack of squad depth is only an injury or suspension concern, not coz we don't have a thousand jobbers waiting to "change the game" like Partick and Falkirk do. 

EOho8Pw.png

Hopefully Dougie is talking to Grimshaw about extending his January deal. Last thing we need is him leaving after cementing his place in the team (after a dodgy start)The team has looked a lot more solid since he got up to speed.

You'd like to think he would be happy to stick around.

• Upvote 1