Squad for next Season - Page 54 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Squad for next Season

6 minutes ago, TONofmemories said:

Sir Efe Ambrose inbound..

You going by the fishul Hamilton tweet that was deleted? Surely we aren't going to bring in another defender unless O'connor and lithgow are going to be out for a while.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

3 minutes ago, Mr.Blue said:

You going by the fishul Hamilton tweet that was deleted? Surely we aren't going to bring in another defender unless O'connor and lithgow are going to be out for a while.

Even if they're only out for 3-4 weeks there's still no harm in getting the king in short term as it's a position we are very light in at the moment. 

• Upvote 2

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

If O'Connor and Lithgow are going to be out for a while there's a need for another centre back, but I'm sceptical about Ambrose being that player. Having seen our struggles with players needing to get up to fitness having joined well after the start of the season already, I'm a bit wary about how long a 34 year old will take compared to Grimshaw.

It's not like there are multiple options available to us I know but I'm sceptical whether this would actually improve the defence that started on Saturday. Imrie's no stranger to rapidly improving players who've recently looked hopeless but Ambrose was murder at Dunfermline last season, it's not like waiting for Grimshaw to get up to speed knowing he's good enough for the top flight and would always come good when fit. We've only conceded one in our last four games even accounting for only having one centre back available on Saturday, I'd be wary of flinging an unfit Efe Ambrose straight in there.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

If it's true, he can finally collect his POTY award from 2013-14.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

It felt like Efe was always due to end up here at some point in his career. If he signs then I think it probably confirms the reason we didn't sign a striker is cause there wasn't any good ones available to us. 

2 hours ago, dunning1874 said:

If O'Connor and Lithgow are going to be out for a while there's a need for another centre back, but I'm sceptical about Ambrose being that player. Having seen our struggles with players needing to get up to fitness having joined well after the start of the season already, I'm a bit wary about how long a 34 year old will take compared to Grimshaw.

It's not like there are multiple options available to us I know but I'm sceptical whether this would actually improve the defence that started on Saturday. Imrie's no stranger to rapidly improving players who've recently looked hopeless but Ambrose was murder at Dunfermline last season, it's not like waiting for Grimshaw to get up to speed knowing he's good enough for the top flight and would always come good when fit. We've only conceded one in our last four games even accounting for only having one centre back available on Saturday, I'd be wary of flinging an unfit Efe Ambrose straight in there.

As you said, prob next to no other options available so best we can hope for at this stage.

If O'Connor is out long term( which is a worry) then I'm sure Dougie will look to bring another CB when the window opens.

Can we assume Lithgow is all but done with us?  Barely kicked a ball in 6 months, guessing the knee is still causing issues. Wouldn't be surprised if we agree a deal with him in Jan to let him go.

I'm surprised it's until the end of the season. Does that mean that Lithgow is done or O'Connor has a serious injury? It's disappointing in the sense that we've had to bring in cover in an area which isn't our weakest, but I'm guessing it's necessary - and it's hardly a market full of options right now. 

Fully on board with this for the patter anyway, especially with Imrie being the manager to sign him. Despite my concerns about his ability at this point in his career, I'd much rather see him stepping into the defence as cover than Hynes.

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

3 hours ago, dunning1874 said:

Not sure I agree with this (or at least the comparison). At 34 he should be able to do a job at some point. 

Ambrose has 50 odd international caps and won a major trophy and Grimshaw had an OK spell at Motherwell. Maybe I'm being overly optimistic but I think it's a positive signing despite him having a poor spell last season. 

This signing surely means we have major medium to long term injury issues. It just highlights the nonsense of offering long term contracts to someone like Lithgow. While I truly hope it works out I confess to being less than impressed at the likelihood of another O'Connor or Vines signing rather than the promised forward.

Hard to really know how this will go, but I think i’d be more content about it if it didn’t seem like Ambrose was coming in as a guaranteed started with the injuries we have as he’s not really done much of note for a while.

For all he’s known for his calamities, Ambrose has had a very good career and brings a wealth of experience to a squad which has very little of it so I reckon it could work well for us.

It’s a shambles that we’re in this position though, Gus being allowed to give Lithgow a 2 year deal was always likely to leave us with a dead weight this season and so it’s turned out. One year was a risk for a guy of that age and with his injury record, two was just stupidity on a par with giving the same to Gus himself.

AWMSC