Squad for next Season - Page 48 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Squad for next Season

30 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

I'd like to raise today's game as Exhibit A, B, C, D and E for why Cameron Blues is nowhere near a 'good Championship central midfielder'. I've seen good Championship central midfielders at Morton - Allan Jenkins for a start - and that, sir, is not in the same postcode.

If we're to stop pissing around in 7th-9th then we need to stop this revisionism of utter diddies and ruthlessly punt the likes of Blues, Muirhead and Kabia. Two of the three shouldn't have got a new deal in the summer. 

Crawford was equally as poor today. 

Agree with you about Muirhead and kabia. Both also poor today. 

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

5 minutes ago, Mr.Blue said:

Crawford didn't cost a goal by schoolboy defending, nor did he spend the second half hiding and pointing like the world's shitest Derek Young tribute act. 

Blues was the obvious weak link in the midfield and will now continue to be that until we actually punt him out to a League Two side as well and replace him. 

• Upvote 1

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

It's the age old story for the last decade. Inability to recruit a striker worthy of the name, guarantees that we'll continue to be fighting to avoid the bottom 2 position. I've given up waiting on Muirhead to demonstrate that he's turned the corner and is anything more than a waste of oxygen. Kabia is a poor example of a Div ! midfielder and offers nothing apart from sandancing. Jai is what I expected, lots of huff and puff but little in the way of a consistent threat in front of goal. 

If you're reading Dougie please don't mention turning Cappielow into a fortress until steps are taken to dump the dross..

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

26 minutes ago, Mr.Blue said:

Agree with you about Muirhead and kabia. Both also poor today. 

Crawford wasn't poor at all. He and Gillespie were both standouts today for their work in the middle of the park. 

The rest of the team not so much. 

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

Just now, GiGi said:

Crawford wasn't poor at all. He and Gillespie were both standouts today for their work in the middle of the park. 

The rest of the team not so much. 

Crawford did nothing to be a stand out today. It was his poorest game for us so far.

10 minutes ago, Mr.Blue said:

Crawford did nothing to be a stand out today. It was his poorest game for us so far.

I'm not sure what you're looking for in him. He presses and wins the ball from the front. He did his job, just not enough of the players around him did theirs. 

• Upvote 2

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

2 hours ago, GiGi said:

I'm not sure what you're looking for in him. He presses and wins the ball from the front. He did his job, just not enough of the players around him did theirs. 

You said he was a standout. I don't agree. For a start he should have buried that chance in the first half.

11 minutes ago, Mr.Blue said:

You said he was a standout. I don't agree. For a start he should have buried that chance in the first half.

The finish could have been better. Kabia should have buried his chance though - there's a difference in difficulty/effort. 

He also didn't ship what proved to be a decisive goal because of a basic lack of positional awareness, so your assessment of Crawford's performance as being on the same level as Blues today is well off.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Adding to the above, Crawford now playing as our most advanced midfielder and pressing the opposition - which he did well today until we shipped a goal and had to start chasing the game - means that there is now more responsibility on Blues to do both sides of the game in central midfield. His role is absolutely crucial as the link between Gillespie and the back four, to the effective front four we had today. 

We can no longer carry a central midfielder in that position because they might get 6-8 goals per season running onto a pass from deep. The role needs genuine quality to run the game for us for a change, rather than an earnest but ultimately not good enough player. 

Edited by vikingTON

32 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

Adding to the above, Crawford now playing as our most advanced midfielder and pressing the opposition - which he did well today until we shipped a goal and had to start chasing the game - means that there is now more responsibility on Blues to do both sides of the game in central midfield. His role is absolutely crucial as the link between Gillespie and the back four, to the effective front four we had today. 

We can no longer carry a central midfielder in that position because they might get 6-8 goals per season running onto a pass from deep. The role needs genuine quality to run the game for us for a change, rather than an earnest but ultimately not good enough player. 

I'm not disagreeing that there's room for improvement in the squad but I just don't think Blues is as bad as some make out.

He caused a goal today yeah and Crawford should have scored.  Equally important in the game.

What about Blues' abysmal display in the second half as well? 

I just don't get this wagon-circling over a player who is one step away from being sent out to Annan like our other central midfielder who hasn't been doing the job. 

5 hours ago, vikingTON said:

I'd like to raise today's game as Exhibit A, B, C, D and E for why Cameron Blues is nowhere near a 'good Championship central midfielder'. I've seen good Championship central midfielders at Morton - Allan Jenkins for a start - and that, sir, is not in the same postcode.

If we're to stop pissing around in 7th-9th then we need to stop this revisionism of utter diddies and ruthlessly punt the likes of Blues, Muirhead and Kabia. Two of the three shouldn't have got a new deal in the summer. 

Where is the money  coming from?

Big B

47 minutes ago, Brian Skelton said:

Where is the money  coming from?

Are those professional footballers suddenly playing without payment out of a sense of charity? There was absolutely no reason to sign two of them to long-term deals this summer, and we're paying the consequences with frustrating results because they ultimately aren't good enough to deliver when it matters. 

Blues had by far his worst game for us in a while yesterday but having watched the highlights his defensive header isn't as calamitous as it looked at the game. He's headed a ball that's slightly too high for him and not cleared the danger but there's another poor clearence in to an actual danger area after that followed by Crawford getting turned too easily on the edge of the box and a couple of players who could have maybe closed the shot down better. 

How anyone can try and blame blues for the second goal is beyond me. The defensive shape was all over the place and it's not his job to cut off the near post pass/cross. The fact the ball gets wide and with one casual pass they're able to create a tap in from yards out is absolutely horrific defending and there's a lot more deserving culprits than blues for criticism there. 

His all round performance was bad enough without trying to claim that the goals we conceded were down to him. 

Dougie said post match that the same players are making the same mistakes and they will be dropped basically, so we will see if Dougie agrees with some that Blues was at fault in his eyes, but I'm willing to bet he will be in the starting lineup.

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

2 hours ago, port-ton said:

Blues had by far his worst game for us in a while yesterday but having watched the highlights his defensive header isn't as calamitous as it looked at the game. He's headed a ball that's slightly too high for him and not cleared the danger but there's another poor clearence in to an actual danger area after that followed by Crawford getting turned too easily on the edge of the box and a couple of players who could have maybe closed the shot down better. 

How anyone can try and blame blues for the second goal is beyond me. The defensive shape was all over the place and it's not his job to cut off the near post pass/cross. The fact the ball gets wide and with one casual pass they're able to create a tap in from yards out is absolutely horrific defending and there's a lot more deserving culprits than blues for criticism there. 

His all round performance was bad enough without trying to claim that the goals we conceded were down to him. 

Dougie said post match that the same players are making the same mistakes and they will be dropped basically, so we will see if Dougie agrees with some that Blues was at fault in his eyes, but I'm willing to bet he will be in the starting lineup.

I’d watch the passage of play leading up to the second goal back and see the absolute state of his “tackle” at the edge of the box. There were other offenders, it was too easy overall, but he played his part. 

He absolutely should be dropped, but O’Connor was equally involved in some of the mistakes, so the worry for me is Imrie is referring to him and Blues ends up playing next week.

Kabia also equally as frustrating now. 

We badly need these reinforcements to come in. The loss of Lyon & Garrity to the squad was evident with the lack of anything on the bench, but we’ve been saying that since day 1 of this season.

The other worry for me is the reluctance to actually play through the midfield and keep the ball down.  

Muirhead still walking about and not looking interested at all, honestly can't believe that he is still at the club. He knows that he is going to play at the moment as we have no one else up top but at best he is an impact player. 

We simply can't afford to have passengers at the moment.

9 minutes ago, Tubes said:

I’d watch the passage of play leading up to the second goal back and see the absolute state of his “tackle” at the edge of the box. There were other offenders, it was too easy overall, but he played his part. 

He absolutely should be dropped, but O’Connor was equally involved in some of the mistakes, so the worry for me is Imrie is referring to him and Blues ends up playing next week.

The attempt to win the ball was poor and I remember groaning at the time, but after that he's still got himself behind the ball along with the majority of the team. That missed tackle is absolutely no excuse for the ridiculous defensive shape that allows the ball to go wide and a simple pass played in to our 6 yard box to go unchallenged. 

O'connor is definitely the main target of Imrie's anger for me and I'd expect Lithgow to maybe start next game. Our defensive record has actually been good so maybe a bit harsh but in games where we do concede it's been O'Connor who's been the weak link. 

I'd be happy enough if Blues is dropped for King as well. No one is undroppable and after a poor performance like that he'd have no complaints, but I disagree with every time he does something bad or plays poorly that we should get rid of him etc. Lyon is out on loan because multiple managers couldnt trust him to follow their tactical instructions or train at an acceptable standard, while Blues is an almost ever present under all those managers. There's simply no comparison between the two situations that Blues should have been loaned instead of Lyon. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

33 minutes ago, dmcewan16 said:

Muirhead still walking about and not looking interested at all, honestly can't believe that he is still at the club. He knows that he is going to play at the moment as we have no one else up top but at best he is an impact player. 

We simply can't afford to have passengers at the moment.

The problem I have watching Muirhead just now is how he's happy to drift out of the game, and have the odd touch here and there. At one point on Saturday he picked up a pass from Pigniatello and moved the ball on again, then walked about on the half way line as other players bombed forward.

He IS a forward and seemed to think his job was done after playing a one two and left other players to build the attack after that instead of supporting it and showing for the ball again.

He did that many times during the game. Clearly when his head is up he's capable of doing good things at this level but he needs a serious boot up the arse.

onsP5NR.jpg