Squad for next Season - Page 47 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Squad for next Season

Good luck to Garrity, that's a fair enough move and I certainly wouldn't write him off for going out on loan again - Strapp also had a second loan spell to League Two before establishing himself in the first team here. With Dumbarton flying so far this season as well it's probably a good place for a winger to go, he can slot into a winning team and he hopefully won't struggle for gametime when they've been playing Kalvin Orsi every week.

Lyon going has to mean another midfielder is coming in today so we're not short for tomorrow. King and McGrattan are now our only cover there with King also currently being first choice left back.

On the decision to loan him out in general, I reckon at this stage in their careers McGrattan needs the guaranteed game time far more than Lyon does with Lyon already having 100 games under his belt so I'd have preferred to see McGrattan go, while Lyon has played a variety of midfield roles and McGrattan appears to be strictly a playmaker. It's undeniable though that Lyon wasn't close to good enough in his starts this season, and with Imrie explicitly saying he wants him to come back "fitter and stronger" he clearly still has an issue with him there. On ability alone he should absolutely piss League Two, but if he doesn't do that then come back and fight for a place in January it doesn't bode well for his career.

• Upvote 1

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Being only a few injuries away from struggling to put a team out, you've got to assume that signings are incoming. 

The moves make sense for the players right now. Something's not right between Lyon and Imrie, and Garrity had hardly played. We need to add some quality which Imrie trusts to play. 

Not surprised by Garrity as I think he needs more game time and clearly isn't going to get much here. The Lyons one surprises me I'm not his biggest fan but I think he is clearly better than league two so shocked he has dropped that far down. He clearly has an attitude problem and Imrie doesn't fancy him which is fine by me because I don't think he has really shown anything in the past year or so to justify him staying. 

It surely must mean singings incoming today I hope and please god one of them a striker. 

40 minutes ago, TONofmemories said:

Nor did the other 4 or 5 managers he's played under and failed to impress..

I think that's harsh given he's getting contracts. They obviously see something in him but can't get the best out of him consistently so there's obviously something wrong there. 

Hopefully the loan is a bit of a warning for him and he manages to turn it around. There's a good player in there. 

53 minutes ago, irnbru said:

I think that's harsh given he's getting contracts. They obviously see something in him but can't get the best out of him consistently so there's obviously something wrong there. 

I'm not convinced that it was entirely Imrie's decision to give Lyon an 18 month deal, just after walking in the door. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

1 hour ago, irnbru said:

Hopefully the loan is a bit of a warning for him and he manages to turn it around. There's a good player in there. 

Tells me there may be an attitude problem. Signs new deals, short spell in team then warms the bench for months on end. It's not harsh at all, it's a recurring theme.

TIME FOR CHANGE!

1 hour ago, vikingTON said:

I'm not convinced that it was entirely Imrie's decision to give Lyon an 18 month deal, just after walking in the door. 

While the board clearly had some hand in the decisions to offer contracts early (ie any players young enough that we could potentially receive compensation got them, regardless of how that likely that was) Lyon had started every game under Imrie up to the point he got the contract, and was playing well too.

It was only the second game after signing the new contract that he was dropped, but we'll never know whether the security of the contract led to an attitude problem in training or if it was just coincidental timing with Imrie always thinking he was the obvious candidate to be dropped for Wilson and having little to do with the contract.

It was a two and half year deal rather than one and a half, incidentally.

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Not sure what's wrong with Lyon but with his contract running until May 2024, I would assume he's just at Annan to get fitter, get game time, and get back to the player he was.  He is a better player than Blues, but recently hasn't been anywhere near his best. Hope we see him back at the end of January ready to win his place back.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

A lot of statements about lyon and how there must be something going on behind the scenes and that he's a better player than blues. I'm not entirely sure I agree. Have we ever seen him play consistently well and influence games in the way an effective central midfielder should? I can't think of many games although has shown flashes. Blues has progressed each season he has played for us and has become a good player at this level. Lyon hasnt and it may just be that he's isn't good enough for championship football. Time will tell I suppose

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

13 minutes ago, Mr.Blue said:

Blues has progressed each season he has played for us and has become a good player at this level. 

z2W.gif

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

3 hours ago, Mr.Blue said:

Need to agree to disagree.

I think it's quite clear that none of our midfielders (with the possible exception of Crawford) could be classed as good Championship players. If they were then we wouldn't have been consistently in and around a relegation scrap. The required quality has not been there to do any better than that. 

Edited by vikingTON