Squad for next Season - Page 44 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Squad for next Season

The gaffer mentions in his pre match interview that we were close to signing an international striker this week but that it looks like it’s fallen through due to work permit issues.

I’m assuming by international he means foreign/overseas based as opposed to an actual internationalist.

Either way it’s very promising news as it confirms that funds have been made available for further additions to the squad.

Would Poplatnik (sp) need a work permit as he played in Scotland last season?

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

12 hours ago, Greacen2000 said:

The gaffer mentions in his pre match interview that we were close to signing an international striker this week but that it looks like it’s fallen through due to work permit issues.

I’m assuming by international he means foreign/overseas based as opposed to an actual internationalist.

Either way it’s very promising news as it confirms that funds have been made available for further additions to the squad.

Interestingly, he said he is aware he needs to get players in suggesting we could see more than 1 before the deadline.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Drew Busby's Moustache said:

Dont know if I'm alone in feeling apprehensive about our involvement with this company.I trust the board have carried out full 'due diligence' appraisals.

Its not exactly hard to find after all.

Seems you may be alone. 

23 hours ago, Greacen2000 said:

An actual international would be a nice novelty but the kind of player who'd come to our level wouke be likely to disappear for various snidey Afcon things and Concacaf kickabouts. I'd prefer we stuck to someone from a country that's real. 

• Upvote 1

EOho8Pw.png

1 hour ago, Scott said:

Is Low a creative/attacking midfielder? If true, could be looking at Low, Gillespie and Crawford as a 3 which would be decent at this level given Gillespie’s start to the season. 

We'd be top heavy with central midfielders if that was the case. Blues, Gillespie, Crawford, Lyon and possibly King already there. Low would be a good signing but id rather a striker first

3 hours ago, TRVMP said:

An actual international would be a nice novelty but the kind of player who'd come to our level wouke be likely to disappear for various snidey Afcon things and Concacaf kickabouts. I'd prefer we stuck to someone from a country that's real. 

David Galtieri or we riot.

In all seriousness, if there's actually truth in the Low rumour rather than this being Arbroath fans having a massive panic about him being left out the squad with a minor niggle and doing 2+2=1922 this would be terrific. Assuming that still leaves the funds for a centre forward too, a Gillespie-Crawford-Low midfield three is a big upgrade on what we have and would give us depth with King, Blues, Lyon and McGrattan as cover. You'd have to wonder how much time McGrattan would get though and if he'd possibly be going on loan in that scenario, but either way the squad would be miles ahead of where it was just two weeks ago with Crawford, Low and a centre forward in.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Low has left Arbroath. Hearing we offered the 20k few weeks ago that Arbroath were looking for, they turned it down. The boy is Morton daft and was app promised they would release him if ft football was offered, hope it works out . Cracking player 

3 hours ago, Scott said:

Is Low a creative/attacking midfielder? If true, could be looking at Low, Gillespie and Crawford as a 3 which would be decent at this level given Gillespie’s start to the season. 

I would say so, he sometimes sits pretty deep but can pick out a great long pass, Charlie Adam-esque. He can also drive forward and has a good shot at goal in him.