Squad for next Season - Page 41 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Squad for next Season

3 hours ago, vikingTON said:

Confirms that Baird/O'Connor is our first choice partnership at the back this season then. Have to say I've never been convinced by Baird and wouldn't be surprised if that changes. 

How does that confirm that?

Gillespie is getting the captaincy because he's going to be on the pitch whenever fit. There was no suggestion from Imrie or him that taking the armband for the cup games was based on anything more than this: which it doesn't need to, as it's a largely ceremonial role on the park at least. 

'Vice captain' is a role that you can give to a squad member who is not guaranteed to start. Aston Villa have just demoted that bombscare Tyrone Mings from captain to 'vice captain' this season for that reason, and possibly others too. 

If it was the other way round then Lithgow would be the clear no. 1 pick - this is a tell IMO.

• Upvote 1

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

22 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

Gillespie is getting the captaincy because he's going to be on the pitch whenever fit. There was no suggestion from Imrie or him that taking the armband for the cup games was based on anything more than this: which it doesn't need to, as it's a largely ceremonial role on the park at least. 

'Vice captain' is a role that you can give to a squad member who is not guaranteed to start. Aston Villa have just demoted that bombscare Tyrone Mings from captain to 'vice captain' this season for that reason, and possibly others too. 

If it was the other way round then Lithgow would be the clear no. 1 pick - this is a tell IMO.

Fair enough. I know some clubs do the separate club captain and team captain thing but no idea what vice captain does (if anything) other than taking over if the captain goes off or isn't playing.

Most peoples chosen lineup has Lithgow out of it but i am sure some would have seen the announcement and questioned whether it hints at a greater role for Lithgow after all.

Well he's definitely not coming here now.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

Dodged a bullet there had a horrible feeling he might have ended up at us. Austrian third tier and semi professional shows his level as well. Still desperately need a striker in hopefully we are still looking, a creative mid is also the second shout but it depends on budget etc. 

2 hours ago, RossMcC1874 said:

Austrian third tier and semi professional shows his level as well. 

Or, their Celtic loving Head Coach John "The Tim" Baird (see the Mandurah City FC Wikipedia page) took the chance to offer Griffiths a free trip to Australia for a month as long as he attends a couple of evening training sessions and plays 2 dead rubbers.

Edited by Jamie_M

Scott Allan would walk this league but think he would be way out of our budget. No talk of anyone signing which is really worrying we need a striker or else we will struggle the rest of the team is okay but we can't rely on the odd goal from Quitongo, Muirhead etc and so far Kabia has really not impressed.

Still early and I've not really been impressed with anyone else in the league I've seen but if we pass the transfer window without singing someone up top I have no idea where the goals are coming from. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Bewilderedbeast said:

Completely agree, but if he's desperate enough to get back playing again he might accept a six month deal or something similar.

14 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

His affordability is a very fluid concept right now when literally nobody is touching him.

He will be at Kelty or Edinburgh before August is out.

He's probably based over there on the east coast, Kelty are still spending bucketloads... training two nights a week, no pressure. It seems an attractive option.

EOho8Pw.png

2 hours ago, The Bewilderedbeast said:

Completely agree, but if he's desperate enough to get back playing again he might accept a six month deal or something similar.

Aye, given his circumstances it could be that bigger teams are just a wee bit hesitant on him, so it's not impossible that if he's not got anything in a few weeks he ends up taking a 6 month deal somewhere to prove his fitness.  It's the kind of situation Imrie will likely be on the look out for, I'd imagine, sometimes you just get that rare wee opportunity and manage to get someone you wouldn't normally get near.

1 hour ago, TRVMP said:

He's probably based over there on the east coast, Kelty are still spending bucketloads... training two nights a week, no pressure. It seems an attractive option.

If he's wanting to prove his fitness to get back to a higher level, then maybe not. You'd imagine he'd want an full-time club for that, but it depends on how he sees things going for him and how much confidence he has in being able to get back to a top-flight team.

If Kelty or the like were paying enough money and offering a several year contract and there's nothing else on the horizon though, it'd be hard to turn it down rather than waiting on something that might never come along.

Edited by EanieMeany

AWMSC