Squad for next Season - Page 40 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Squad for next Season

There's a touch of Alex Williams' career about Griffiths in a way, but scaled up. Fairly similar players (I maintain Alex was a better finisher and would have been a better player, but that's another discussion), really exciting from pretty much day one with heaps of ability that marked them out from their peers...but equally as obviously not being the most focussed professional athletes, shall we say, and never quite giving the impression they had the temperament to really fulfil their potential. It wasn't really a surprise when Williams' career derailed so prematurely, ditto its not too surprising that Griffiths' has been going the same way for some time.

Anyway, I wouldn't go near Griffiths at this stage. There's absolutely nothing to suggest that he's got it in him to turn his fortunes around after a fantastically successful (imo) spell at Falkirk, and we can't afford to take the punt on the tiniest chance that it could happen.

• Downvote 1

AWMSC

I'm assuming this is just more accounts jumping off the Vize rumour and don't make me tap the sign again, but if there is something in it I can see the circumstances that would make everyone involved go for it. That's predicated on it being a dirt cheap, as close to pay as you play as you can get without breaking minimum wage legislation arrangement. I'd really rather we don't end up with Leigh Griffiths and think it would probably be a disaster, but I can see what the thought process would be.

From Griffiths' perspective, if he's got no other club willing to take a shot on him after the Falkirk disaster he might just be desperate enough to take a deal on hardly any money. It's not like he needs it after some of the clubs he's played for and he can spend a year on buttons to put himself in the shop window, believing if he scores goals in the Championship he can get himself back to the Premiership in 12 months.

From Morton's perspective the desperation angle also applies. If all we've got left in the budget is those sort of buttons, rather than this being a Nacho Novo/Garry O'Connor/Rowan Vine style bundle together a considerable wage out of a panic arrangement, I can see why a manager would go for the previously very accomplished centre forward who's on his way down believing he can get something out of him. If the alternative options with that sort of wage available are a player who's been released by a League Two club for not being good enough like Kalvin Orsi, or a young loanee who's either never looked good enough in the Championship before or never played at a serious level of football, those are all gambles in their own way and you can see a manager backing themselves to resurrect that player's career, particularly Imrie.

To give examples of all those types of player this summer, you could feasibly have a list of options there of Akeel Francis, Innes Cameron, Kieran Offord or Leigh Griffiths. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Griffiths was a manager's first choice out of that list.

The thing is it's not a footballing decision alone, and Griffiths has serious baggage. Considering how much of a gamble it is on the footballing side as it is, I wonder if the club would want to steer clear as they could really do without another summer of a hugely controversial signing that rumbles on months into the season after the fallout from Lithgow.

• Upvote 2

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

22 minutes ago, dunning1874 said:

I'm assuming this is just more accounts jumping off the Vize rumour and don't make me tap the sign again, but if there is something in it I can see the circumstances that would make everyone involved go for it.

I had assumed it was just the regurgitation of the Vize nonsense just a few days later.

One of the accounts posting about it though has since said Griffiths was training with us on Friday and another claiming the info came direct from Andy Millen.

Massive pinch of salt all round still, but the plot seems a wee bit thicker than just from a Vize post (who didn't actually link him with us but rather suggested we need a striker and that he is available).

Vize has now posted that Griffiths is going abroad so that actually increases the likelihood he is coming to us.

I would rather have Innes Cameron out of that bunch not exactly much of a list but rather give him a chance than anyone else. Griffiths imo would be too much of a massive gamble a lot of baggage and of course there is a player in there who scores goals but to many unknowns. However I actually wouldn't be surprised if we ended up signing Griffiths. 

17 hours ago, Cappiecat 1.2 said:

WTF you on about now?

There's definitely a want with you.

I’m probably guilty of abbreviating  things, thinking the people on here will get it. But okay I’ll translate just for the hard of understanding: Griffiths was in the papers saying he’s been doing boxing training 6 days a week and I’m relating that to him apparently training with Morton, and I’m thinking if that’s the case then Dougie Imrie etc. Will suss whether or not that has got him into the place where he’s proved his fitness and deserves a starting spot. 

• Downvote 5

3 hours ago, DreamOakTree said:

I’m probably guilty of abbreviating  things, thinking the people on here will get it. But okay I’ll translate just for the hard of understanding: Griffiths was in the papers saying he’s been doing boxing training 6 days a week and I’m relating that to him apparently training with Morton, and I’m thinking if that’s the case then Dougie Imrie etc. Will suss whether or not that has got him into the place where he’s proved his fitness and deserves a starting spot. 

I'd add a pinch of salt to that too.

Allegedly the reason he was dumped from Septic Park was that all of the players were given training plans during Covid.

Griffiths got caught out doctoring his results and driving around with his training kit in his car while doing very little training if any.

Edited by The Bewilderedbeast

I truly hope there’s no truth in the Griffiths rumours. The obvious unsavoury aspects of his character aside, I just don’t think he’s the kind of player that will react well to Imrie’s style of man management.

Griffiths best spell was under Brendan Rodgers who obviously knew how to handle him, then he went downhill fast as soon as Neil Lennon came on the scene who has a very different approach to the likes of Rodgers when dealing with individuals

From what we’ve seen of Imrie and how he calls out players for their mistakes or attitudes I don’t think that’s something Griffiths responds well to 

here today, gone to hell

On 8/4/2022 at 1:18 PM, bob_the_builder said:

I truly hope there’s no truth in the Griffiths rumours. The obvious unsavoury aspects of his character aside, I just don’t think he’s the kind of player that will react well to Imrie’s style of man management.

Griffiths best spell was under Brendan Rodgers who obviously knew how to handle him, then he went downhill fast as soon as Neil Lennon came on the scene who has a very different approach to the likes of Rodgers when dealing with individuals

From what we’ve seen of Imrie and how he calls out players for their mistakes or attitudes I don’t think that’s something Griffiths responds well to 

His best spell was under Deila, where he scored 40 goals in a season. 

It’s a myth that Rodgers got the best out of, just like Rodgers is a myth himself - although he’d love people to believe he got the best out of him. 
Griffiths literally and figuratively went awol under Rodgers. 

On the Griffiths debate, we desperately need a goalscorer and that’s what Griffiths is. I know he had a pish season at Falkirk, but he’s not that old and if he’s serious about making a go of it it’s worth the gamble for me. The only question marks are round fitness and ability, the goals should be there his attitude is right. 

• Downvote 1

On 8/4/2022 at 7:00 AM, The Bewilderedbeast said:

I'd add a pinch of salt to that too.

Allegedly the reason he was dumped from Septic Park was that all of the players were given training plans during Covid.

Griffiths got caught out doctoring his results and driving around with his training kit in his car while doing very little training if any.

I did think myself that’s Griffiths himself saying he’s got himself fit, which doesn’t guarantee it’s true based on past disproved statements. My point is, if he is actually training with Morton, Dougie and the fitness experts would know within minutes if he was telling the truth.

It's a tremendously bad look if we go from pleading poverty one minute to signing a not-too-long-ago Scotland international the next.

There has to be someone more around our budget and stature who's out there, be it a loanee or someone else.

EOho8Pw.png

A name that I’ve seen spring up at a lower level recently has been Connor Smith of Hearts, who scored a hat trick for their B team against Berwick, missed their drubbing by East Kilbride because the first team called him up to sit on the bench, and scored against Cowdenbeath the other night.

He’s had various loans to the lower leagues, including a decent spell at Queen’s Park last season and by all accounts is playing below his level in the Lowland League so perhaps a move to the Championship is his next step. Don’t know if he’s any good, but he seems to be spoken of quite well.

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, TRVMP said:

It's a tremendously bad look if we go from pleading poverty one minute to signing a not-too-long-ago Scotland international the next.

There has to be someone more around our budget and stature who's out there, be it a loanee or someone else.

Rumours doing the rounds that Bohemians are signing Griffiths. They then announce Jonathan Afolabi. So who knows. 

Another shite option off our potentials list anyway.

12 minutes ago, TRVMP said:

Haven't seen it mentioned yet but Gillespie has been appointed club captain, with Lithgow now vice captain. 

Confirms that Baird/O'Connor is our first choice partnership at the back this season then. Have to say I've never been convinced by Baird and wouldn't be surprised if that changes. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are