Squad for next Season - Page 37 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Squad for next Season

6 minutes ago, EanieMeany said:

Yeah, maybe. I guess my point is probably more that if we're going so heavily on youth and pleading poverty so much, a player worthy of a contract would maybe be considered worthy of getting sent somewhere better than the team that finished near the bottom of the Lowland League last season, but I guess we'll see what happens and there's not really much point lingering too much on any of this, so good luck to him and hopefully we'll have ourselves a decent option come January. 

I don't think you can really compare the team from last season to the one this season thanks to the Open Goal merger. They have players like Ryan Conroy, Kirk Broadfoot and I think Gary Fraser too if I remember correctly so there are good experienced players there for him to learn from. They beat Spartans at the weekend and they are currently 3-0 up away to Cowdenbeath last I saw. 

Hopefully the boy gets in the team and gives a good showing of himself. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

5 minutes ago, port-ton said:

I don't think you can really compare the team from last season to the one this season thanks to the Open Goal merger. They have players like Ryan Conroy, Kirk Broadfoot and I think Gary Fraser too if I remember correctly so there are good experienced players there for him to learn from. They beat Spartans at the weekend and they are currently 3-0 up away to Cowdenbeath last I saw. 

Hopefully the boy gets in the team and gives a good showing of himself. 

Gary Fraser. Christ, there's a name.

Anyway...I've ended up writing far more about this than I would really ever care to, tbh. Haha, it's not something I'm really fussed or concerned about at all beyond a passing observation, other than just finding it all a bit odd given the overall situation we find ourselves in, but we'll see how it goes. God knows we need to uncover a striker from somewhere, so assuming that mob are paying his wages then there's nothing to lose by taking a punt on the boy.

AWMSC

18 minutes ago, EanieMeany said:

Yeah, maybe. I guess my point is probably more that if we're going so heavily on youth and pleading poverty so much, a player worthy of a contract would maybe be considered worthy of getting sent somewhere better than the team that finished near the bottom of the Lowland League last season, but I guess we'll see what happens and there's not really much point lingering too much on any of this, so good luck to him and hopefully we'll have ourselves a decent option come January. 

They’re not really a team that finished bottom of the Lowland League last season though, are they?

Yes, whatever incarnation of the club they were toiled last season, but there’s clearly been investment, and whilst it’s early days, they’ve come out the traps flying having won their first game and currently bodying a freshly relegated Cowdenbeath. Saying they struggled last season doesn’t paint the whole picture.

I was never mad cracked on them under their BSC Glasgow or Broomhill FC monikers and am even less so now, but they’re probably going to be winning more often than not and the lad could end up having quite a productive season.

Don’t really accept the comparisons between Ferry and Shiels either, tbh. Whilst I don’t know much about their squad, I’d imagine they’ll have enough quality to get away with any mistakes they make more often than not, a luxury Shiels wasn’t afforded in the Championship.

1 minute ago, Toby said:

They’re not really a team that finished bottom of the Lowland League last season though, are they?

Yes, whatever incarnation of the club they were toiled last season, but there’s clearly been investment, and whilst it’s early days, they’ve come out the traps flying having won their first game and currently bodying a freshly relegated Cowdenbeath. Saying they struggled last season doesn’t paint the whole picture.

I was never mad cracked on them under their BSC Glasgow or Broomhill FC monikers and am even less so now, but they’re probably going to be winning more often than not and the lad could end up having quite a productive season.

Don’t really accept the comparisons between Ferry and Shiels either, tbh. Whilst I don’t know much about their squad, I’d imagine they’ll have enough quality to get away with any mistakes they make more often than not, a luxury Shiels wasn’t afforded in the Championship.

On the last point, Ferry is always banging on about players being brave and that he doesn’t care if players make mistakes, but they need to be switched on and recover every time.

Anyway, Derek Lyle is there as player/assistant manager as well I think. 

7 minutes ago, Toby said:

I wasn't really comparing their situations, more their determination to stick to their convictions no matter the cost. From what I've heard of Simon Ferry if you put him in charge of THAT Morton team he'd have them trying to play the same way as he wants this Broomhill team to play. 

Despite the comparison to a diddy like Shiels, it was actually meant in a more complimentary way towards him when it comes to the development of one of our young players. You'd much rather that than him go to a lowland league team that lump the balls down the channels for him to chase constantly. 

• Downvote 1

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

13 minutes ago, Toby said:

was never mad cracked on them under their BSC Glasgow or Broomhill FC monikers and am even less so now, but they’re probably going to be winning more often than not and the lad could end up having quite a productive season.

What about when they were Edusport Academy? 

1 minute ago, gmfc_craig said:

What about when they were Edusport Academy? 

That's a different made-up club you're thinking of. Edusport morphed into Caledonian Braves, albeit with the same job lot of pay-to-play Frenchmen to start with. (They're the ones who inflicted us with Nico Caraux.)

EOho8Pw.png

16 minutes ago, TRVMP said:

That's a different made-up club you're thinking of. Edusport morphed into Caledonian Braves, albeit with the same job lot of pay-to-play Frenchmen to start with. (They're the ones who inflicted us with Nico Caraux.)

Yeah sorry your right. I’m always getting my non-entities mixed up! 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, gmfc_craig said:

Yeah sorry your right. I’m always getting my non-entities mixed up! 

The advent of the pyramid is going to spur plenty more such regen outfits into being. Shettleston, a proud old club, recently debased themselves with a renaming to "Glasgow United", which sounds made-up and is really no way to treat a team with over 100 years of history. One hopes they see sense and revert sooner rather than later.

Loch Ness, meanwhile, are irritatingly viral, but to their credit had two decades kicking around in local football before deciding to move into the pyramid.

EOho8Pw.png

39 minutes ago, TRVMP said:

Have we had any players play in the fifth tier and gone on to do well for us? Strapp spent quite a while with Annan but that was the fourth tier.

I believe the players we've had on loan to the Lowland League since it was created are Darren Hynes, Lewis McGrattan, Shaun Rodgers (all Gretna) Zander Easdale, Tam Orr, Aidan Ferris (all the then BSC Glasgow) and John Tennent (Cumbernauld Colts).

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

48 minutes ago, port-ton said:

I wasn't really comparing their situations, more their determination to stick to their convictions no matter the cost. From what I've heard of Simon Ferry if you put him in charge of THAT Morton team he'd have them trying to play the same way as he wants this Broomhill team to play. 

Despite the comparison to a diddy like Shiels, it was actually meant in a more complimentary way towards him when it comes to the development of one of our young players. You'd much rather that than him go to a lowland league team that lump the balls down the channels for him to chase constantly. 

Kenny Shiels wanted that nick of a  team in 13/14 to play the same way. That's one major reason why his spell was a disaster. 

The revisionism surrounding Simon 'Si' Ferry - as if he's the next Rinus Michels or something - is nauseating. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

1 hour ago, Toby said:

Aye, fair enough on that. As I said, its more just the scenario in general that I find odd with how things are, and when we need players in the first team so desperately the Lowland League just doesn't quite seem a place that's really going to tell us too much about their chances of coming back and doing a job for us. I do have reservations about a team that has a whopper like Paul Slane on their books proving to be a serious proposition, right enough, and I find the idea of Ferry as a hotshot coach a bit overblown to the point of bizarre, but hey ho.

Anyway, there he is and here we are. All the best to Gemmill, it's a chance for him to show everybody what he's about however you look at it.

I do wonder who is deciding upon the contracts to the younger players though. We've seen a few extensions etc dished out over the year or so, and I wonder if Imrie would have been so keen on a two-year deal for a 21-year old McGrattan (who I rate highly), for example, if he was already aware of the budget constraints he would be working with in the summer given that he barely used him as last season went on. That's no slight on Lewis (quite the opposite, I'd have liked to have saw more of him) but nonetheless, a 2 year deal for somebody who isn't that young as such and who isn't really getting used isn't necessarily a smart move (if you're not giving him chances).

Edited by EanieMeany

AWMSC

37 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

Kenny Shiels wanted that nick of a  team in 13/14 to play the same way. That's one major reason why his spell was a disaster. 

The revisionism surrounding Simon 'Si' Ferry - as if he's the next Rinus Michels or something - is nauseating. 

That was my point. If Ferry had tried to play his style of football at all costs with Morton that year and he'd have failed just as miserably as Shiels did,which was my original point in the comparison of the two. 

I've no idea if he's a good manager or not, and I don't really care. His style of football that he wants his teams to play can only be a positive for our youth player going on loan at a team at that level of football, which is the only thing that matters to Morton fans. 

32.gif

7 minutes ago, port-ton said:

That was my point. If Ferry had tried to play his style of football at all costs with Morton that year and he'd have failed just as miserably as Shiels did,which was my original point in the comparison of the two. 

I've no idea if he's a good manager or not, and I don't really care. His style of football that he wants his teams to play can only be a positive for our youth player going on loan at a team at that level of football, which is the only thing that matters to Morton fans. 

Was Shiels 'style of football' only a positive for any young player who was getting thumped by Cowdenbeath or Hamilton that season? 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

2 hours ago, dunning1874 said:

I believe the players we've had on loan to the Lowland League since it was created are Darren Hynes, Lewis McGrattan, Shaun Rodgers (all Gretna) Zander Easdale, Tam Orr, Aidan Ferris (all the then BSC Glasgow) and John Tennent (Cumbernauld Colts).

McGrattan could potentially be a player for us - not certain, but it's possible. Orr is having a good lower league career with Stenny right now. The rest are firmly non-league or struggling mightily in the Championship.

I'm not writing anyone off, but given how many lower-league teams in Scotland depend on teenagers in the first team, I'm generally skeptical of peoples' chances when they drop that far down the pyramid. 

EOho8Pw.png

8 hours ago, TONofmemories said:

Shiels joined in December inherting a shan squad and trying to make them play when they clearly weren't capable. 

Si has had a Full close season and picked his own squad. I genuinely believe folk will be surprised. 

'Si' is a gimp pulling his mates off Scottish football's scrapheap to garner attention for a stupid fucking podcast.