Squad for next Season - Page 35 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Squad for next Season

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/9191594/morton-dougie-imrie-vow-after-hibs-cup-shock/

Decent interview with Imrie. Chris Dodds the writer as well. Thought he was at Raith now but good to see he's still getting journalist work. 

• Upvote 2

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

That's much more like the Imrie we had when he first arrived: not blind to the challenges or the limitations, but focusing on the positive and what we can do despite the difficulties. More of that, please.

• Upvote 2

EOho8Pw.png

11 hours ago, port-ton said:

A lot more favourable deal for the Easdales than they'd have got from the Raes when they're the only option left and MCT members have to vote on something that puts them between a rock and a hard place. 

Okay we can agree that instead if you want. 

Why would MCT members be more biddable than the Rae family? Let's not forget that Crawford was ultimately a cipher for the family members who actually got the commanding stake in GC. He may have had influence, but it was not a final power of veto over just flogging the club to any decent bid.

That's why the MCT agreement was ultimately the best arrangement for both parties, rather than playing hardball and demanding the stupid car park land as well. 

I don't see any plausible scenario in which the MCT membership simply rolls over and hands control to an outside investor. That's not what the EGM discussion indicated and it would require a much more substantial change to the articles than what was on the table then.

And given that the club has no serious debt facility and the asset is separate, I'm not convinced that any serious outside investor wants to fully take the club over anyway. If outsiders wish to invest and sit on the board to advise/make sure well-meaning volunteers aren't making an arse of it, then that's fine with me. But the terms have to be right for both parties, and if they're not at the moment then we move on until another opportunity comes up. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Considering the way he went about his business I'm sure some wouldn't be keen on it but I wonder what the chances of Ugwu returning would be if we can manage to bring in another forward. It's a different option up top, keeps Easdale out the squad too. 

20 hours ago, so72 said:

30k could get us a decent striker!

If the investors have pulled out then I'd be surprised if it was ever the Easdales 

Aye it could get us one player certainly but the point is people are saying  the sponsorship deal could be the difference between the same budget and a cut budget. 

The difference looks like a lot more than 20-30k going by last years squad to this one.

Its at least 6 figures short...

46 minutes ago, ChampTon said:

Considering the way he went about his business I'm sure some wouldn't be keen on it but I wonder what the chances of Ugwu returning would be if we can manage to bring in another forward. It's a different option up top, keeps Easdale out the squad too. 

How did he 'go about his business'?

19 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

How did he 'go about his business'?

I think he turned us down to move down south and it fell through. Ended up turning out for Falkirk as a trialist. 

He's a presence for sure, would probably benefit us with him bringing Kabia/Quitongo into the game. His goals/injury record would be a worry. 

I think we missed a trick on not prioritising Reilly, I think he would thrive in our current set up.

3 minutes ago, ChampTon said:

I think he turned us down to move down south and it fell through. Ended up turning out for Falkirk as a trialist. 

He's a presence for sure, would probably benefit us with him bringing Kabia/Quitongo into the game. His goals/injury record would be a worry. 

I think we missed a trick on not prioritising Reilly, I think he would thrive in our current set up.

Can't see many having an issue with Ugwu for any of that.

Won't happen anyway.

Reilly moving soen there was not surprising, same with Jack Hamilton wanting to go back East (remains to be seen if he will get that).

Striker options off the table recently:

Jack Hamilton (other one) - re-signed for Livi and loaned to Hartlepool.

Danny Mullen signed for Partick.

Not sure who else is an option.

I've not read all this thread but on Radio Scotland the other night Imrie made it quite clear that the aim was survival this year.  Looking at the squad I'd have to agree but I must admit I had much higher hopes after the turnaround of last season.  

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

1 hour ago, ChampTon said:

Another one offered less money 

TIME FOR CHANGE!

41 minutes ago, TONofmemories said:

Another one offered less money 

Quite rightly so after being Gus' marquee signing. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

1 hour ago, DreamOakTree said:

Would anyone take a chance on Leigh Griffiths? Apparently he’s got himself into decent shape but would he bring too much baggage, if we could even afford his wages?

I was thinking about that earlier maybe could get the Easdales to sponsor his wages until January lol

Edited by Brian Skelton

Big B

17 hours ago, LargsTON said:

I've not read all this thread but on Radio Scotland the other night Imrie made it quite clear that the aim was survival this year.

It may be true, but it's nevertheless very disappointing to hear that sort of patter coming from the manager. One of the things that was so refreshing about Dougie when he first came in was there was none of the 'poor wee Morton' pish we had got used to from a succession of managers going all the way back to McGraw who was never out of the papers trying to flog our best players. Dougie demanded high standards from day 1 and raised expectations across the board, which is one of the main reasons I liked him so much. So to hear him come out now and talk about survival as our goal, before a ball has even been kicked in the league, is very disheartening.

You could argue that he's simply being honest and realistic, but for me all the optimism and hope that he brought with him has now evaporated. Bit gutted, actually, to see his standards and expectations have fallen so low in such a short period of time. With the boss apparently resigning us to yet another relegation battle at the arse end of the league, it looks like we've got yet another long, grim season ahead of us. Typical Morton, just when you get a wee bit of hope and optimism, before you know it, it's back to reality with a swift boot to the haw-maws. I'm old enough to have known better.

• Upvote 2

Imrie was banging on about survival and how tough every dung opponent was even when it was perfectly clear that we were going nowhere in March last season. It's simply a standard manager line to set expectations for himself as low as possible. You might justifiably be disappointed with that approach but it doesn't necessarily mean it's the real ceiling of ambition within the first team.

And looking at the league this year, I suspect at least 6 teams will need to check off survival first before even thinking about a play-off run. 

It would also be a bit daft to state any higher ambition with the current squad.

As long as he continues to be raging when we lose, rinsing the team for it and demanding better then I am fine with it (as opposed to the previous lot who doubled down on low expectations with proclamations that we couldn't possibly expect any better).

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, vikingTON said:

Imrie was banging on about survival and how tough every dung opponent was even when it was perfectly clear that we were going nowhere in March last season. It's simply a standard manager line to set expectations for himself as low as possible. You might justifiably be disappointed with that approach but it doesn't necessarily mean it's the real ceiling of ambition within the first team.

And looking at the league this year, I suspect at least 6 teams will need to check off survival first before even thinking about a play-off run. 

I would look at it as the floor rather than the ceiling, agreeing pretty much with everything you say

I totally get where CHC's coming from - but I also believe that every interview given by every manager is just a snapshot in time. Interview a manager after his team's just been blootered 8-0, and then interview the same manager the week after when he's won 8-0. It'd be hard to believe you were talking to the same person. Dougie's never come across as being calculating or negative enough to be deliberately setting low expections or going down the 'plucky wee Morton' rabbithole, but any honeymoon period will inevitably wear off and the wave of newfound belief and enthusiasm amongst the supporters will level out and become more realistic. There are budgetary challenges as we all know, and I'm sure Dougie is frustrated by that. But to me - his frustration will likely be centred around the fact that he wants to win and feels that he currently doesn't have enough quality resources to achieve either his personal goal, or the one he's set for his team and its supporters. That, to me, says more about his overall character than any single moment-in-time interview.