Squad for next Season - Page 30 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Squad for next Season

If everyone is fit this would be the starting 11 for me 

Schwake

Pignatiello   Baird  O'Connor Strapp

Jacobs

Blues      Lyon 

Quitongo       Kabia     Muirhead 

Looking at the starting 11 I still think another option up top and another goalkeeper are a must other than that I'm reasonably happy with the squad going forward. I didn't read to much into the Falkirk game with more than half the team missing let's hope we get some bodies back for next week and can start seeing a more settled squad. 

We're definitely going to need another goalkeeper, if we're expecting Schwake to sweep behind the defence as he did on Saturday. That might be the best tactic over the season but guarantees a red card or two when he makes a mistake.

Edited by vikingTON

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

3 hours ago, RossMcC1874 said:

Schwake

Jacobs

Blues      Lyon 

Looking at the starting 11 I still think another option up top and another goalkeeper are a must other than that I'm reasonably happy with the squad going forward. I didn't read to much into the Falkirk game with more than half the team missing let's hope we get some bodies back for next week and can start seeing a more settled squad. 

That team really struggles without an actual goalscorer and maybe a creative midfielder. Of course, Lyon might kick on and Muirhead might pull a Shankland but that would be a huge risk

3 hours ago, RossMcC1874 said:

Schwake

Jacobs

Blues      Lyon 

That’s the exact 11 I would pick out of what we have but with Kabia to the left of Muirhead. What looks glaringly obvious about it though is the lack of a creative midfielder. Does this mean we can’t afford one or that Dougie’s going for a direct approach? Missing out creative midfield play for a solid back line and hitting on the break with speed? My worry then would be that we’d need to rely on our opponents to play to our tune, which won’t happen too often.

We really do lack a creative midfielder Lyons is decent but most of his passes go backwards if we get a creative midfielder in on loan I would be tempted to move Lyons back to DM. Blues can do box to box with his good energy and hopefully if we get someone in who can spray passes that's the midfield looking stronger. I have no idea what Gillespie is like but imagine he would be more a Jacobs type of player. We just have no recognised goal scorer up top which would be my main worry. 

11 minutes ago, RossMcC1874 said:

We really do lack a creative midfielder Lyons is decent but most of his passes go backwards if we get a creative midfielder in on loan I would be tempted to move Lyons back to DM. Blues can do box to box with his good energy and hopefully if we get someone in who can spray passes that's the midfield looking stronger. I have no idea what Gillespie is like but imagine he would be more a Jacobs type of player. We just have no recognised goal scorer up top which would be my main worry. 

Lyon’s best spell last season was probably when he was dropped deeper, so I would be happy enough to see Imrie try him there again, either as part of a three or as a two alongside Jacobs.

When he first broke through I thought Lyon would have developed into more a forward than dropping back in midfield but as said that's where he did his best work last season.

• Upvote 1

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

We saw enough last season to know that we need a real holding midfielder in there or we'll lose too many goals through loose balls or not shutting down quickly enough in midfield, so one of Jacobs and Gillespie needs to play. We also saw that we were a far poorer team without Lyon in there, with Blues beside Wilson not offering nearly as much in possession. For all Blues is a better player than when he first signed for the club, the things he's improved on do not make him good enough to play in that position.

If the shape is going to be akin to a 4-2-1-3/4-2-3-1, Lyon is clearly the best option we have to be in the sitting two beside the real holding midfielder. My concern is that Blues may be seen as undroppable at this point; I try not to read too much into captaincy but is giving the armband to him rather than eg Strapp on Saturday, along with the two year deal, a sign that he's going to be playing every week?

With the squad as it is Blues should be the most advanced central midfielder there with everyone available, but when we add a real playmaker they'll take that position and I'd be concerned that we'd then see Blues played deeper with Lyon dropped. Even with more bodies in midfield than last season I think that would leave Jacobs or Gillespie in the same spot as Wilson was, where the player alongside them doesn't do enough to drive us up the park and they end up having to take more responsibility with the ball at their feet than they should.

• Upvote 1

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

5 hours ago, dunning1874 said:

We saw enough last season to know that we need a real holding midfielder in there or we'll lose too many goals through loose balls or not shutting down quickly enough in midfield, so one of Jacobs and Gillespie needs to play. We also saw that we were a far poorer team without Lyon in there, with Blues beside Wilson not offering nearly as much in possession. For all Blues is a better player than when he first signed for the club, the things he's improved on do not make him good enough to play in that position.

If the shape is going to be akin to a 4-2-1-3/4-2-3-1, Lyon is clearly the best option we have to be in the sitting two beside the real holding midfielder. My concern is that Blues may be seen as undroppable at this point; I try not to read too much into captaincy but is giving the armband to him rather than eg Strapp on Saturday, along with the two year deal, a sign that he's going to be playing every week?

With the squad as it is Blues should be the most advanced central midfielder there with everyone available, but when we add a real playmaker they'll take that position and I'd be concerned that we'd then see Blues played deeper with Lyon dropped. Even with more bodies in midfield than last season I think that would leave Jacobs or Gillespie in the same spot as Wilson was, where the player alongside them doesn't do enough to drive us up the park and they end up having to take more responsibility with the ball at their feet than they should.

That’s why I felt a Stephen McGinn type would’ve been a good addition, someone who can take the ball and turn defence into attack. Maybe not regarded as a creative midfielder but develops the play rather than aiming high balls at “targetmen”. I would prefer a creative midfielder but they seem to be out of our reach, either financially or they want to play at a higher level, e.g. Sibbald just signing for DU.

8 minutes ago, DreamOakTree said:

That’s why I felt a Stephen McGinn type would’ve been a good addition, someone who can take the ball and turn defence into attack. Maybe not regarded as a creative midfielder but develops the play rather than aiming high balls at “targetmen”. I would prefer a creative midfielder but they seem to be out of our reach, either financially or they want to play at a higher level, e.g. Sibbald just signing for DU.

Stephen McGinn, that guy who only passed forward on Saturday afternoon because he couldn't play it backwards when filling in at centre half.

33 minutes ago, Pedrodelawasp said:

We really need a signing in the Kiltie or Cadden mould where we somehow get a hold of someone who’s really too good for us. 2 or 3, ideally.

I said this today. Imrie pulled a couple of rabbits out of the hat when he brought in Brandon and Wilson. He also got reilly playing which helped. Today was 💯 chronic. Thought schwake and O'connor looked fine. Gillespie could be ok with better players around him. We can't continue to rely on in our fullbacks for width. They aren't good enough going forward. 

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

1 minute ago, TONofmemories said:

I'd be fuming if that was my Mrs. Pure Celtic da behaviour 

Aye, I suppose she’s as entitled to an opinion as anyone, but rather than Celtic da’ behaviour my immediate thought was Jean Fucking Johansson behaviour.

Never go full Jean Johansson.

26 minutes ago, Toby said:

I noted another tweet from her, replying to the team lines by saying “free Jacobs”.

I’m sure if Jacobs was prepared to walk away from his contract and free up a bit of the budget for someone Dougie would prefer to see contribute it could be arranged, but he’s not going to walk away from what’ll be the last full time deal he gets of his career so that sort of contribution really isn’t of any use to anyone.

Aye, I'm always a wee bit uncomfortable with that kind of thing, as you say it doesn't help anybody. It'd be no surprise if Jacobs has been told he's not wanted or is unhappy about his lack of playing time but if its the former he's perfectly entitled to want to stay and try to force himself into the team (which, tbh, shouldn't be too hard as it stands) and/or see out his contract; if its the latter, he needs to knuckle down and get on with it for as long as he's with us.

I wouldn't hold it against him if it's the former scenario , you can't really expect somebody to walk away from a year's wages especially when he might not get another full-time deal, but at the same time that's predicated on the player remaining committed and professional. I see no reason to think Jacobs isn't either, but when you start getting stuff like that on Twitter there's the danger it can start to fuel a bit of resentment towards the player. Ditto if it's stemming from not being happy about his lack of minutes.

That said, there's not really much to see here or to take issue with aside from it being a bit cringeworthy, but its a thing everybody could do without in general.

Edited by EanieMeany
  • Upvote 1

AWMSC