Squad for next Season - Page 26 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Squad for next Season

34 minutes ago, DreamOakTree said:

Directly or indirectly off the top of my head: Alex Williams, Tam O’Ware, Stuart Greacen, Brian Graham, Iain Russell, Chris Templeman, Bobby Linn, Scott Tiffoney, Bobby Barr and Derek Gaston. A few more will come to me if I start trying to think hard about it!

All you've done there is name players who've left the club tbh. 

Even the ones that don't get on with Morton fans it's because of after they left. 

I particularly can't remember the great hounding of Bobby Linn that made him leave. 

Tiffoney only got a hard time if anything once he came back on loan from Livingston and that was because he was barely good enough for the first team and was no longer one of our youth. 

O'Ware had ups and downs with the fans but wasn't truly disliked until he announced he was leaving before the final game of the season. 

Gaston is just bizarre as he loved his time here and gets on great with the fans. 

• Upvote 1

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

17 minutes ago, DreamOakTree said:

A few more just sprung to mind: Reghan Tumilty, James McPake, Jamie Stevenson, Jim McAllister, Sean McGinty, Brian McLean and Gary Oliver. 

James McPake played centre forward at Morton and was completely fucking irrelevant to the fanbase at that time anyway.

The soaring post-Morton-boo-boy careers of the likes of Stevenson, Oliver, McGinty and McLean (unattached - because he's about 97) exist solely in your head. While your attempt to bring McAlister into the discussion is quite simply fraudulent. 

I'd stop digging if I were you. 

Edited by vikingTON
  • Upvote 1

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

12 hours ago, DreamOakTree said:

It says more about the perpetrators of the regular criticism of Morton players than it does about the targets of their unjustified abuse. They’ve driven good players out of the club then complained when the same players came back and gave them a GIRUY when they scored at Cappielow. I’ve heard them abusing boys on their debuts and now a returning player before he’s even started a game! They even abuse their own players for suffering injuries. You couldn’t make it up!

Having doubts over someone and sharing them on an online forum is a long way away from what you've described there. Calm yourself right down 

• Upvote 2

People saying that myself and others should leave the forum if we don’t like over the top criticism of our players are surely being a bit inconsistent. If you’re saying a forum is there to express your opinion then why can’t we express ours? Take that view to its conclusion and you’d end up with only people whose purpose seems to be to constantly criticise our players as a matter of course. Is anyone saying that the likes of Robbie Muirhead and Cameron Blues haven’t been targeted for regular negative criticism and derogatory remarks? albeit they’ve managed to stay at the club despite it. Does anyone really think that players these days aren’t aware of what’s being said on forums? It used to be that if a player was dedicated and gave 100% but struggled with form or lesser ability, then the criticism would then (rightly) shift to the manager for selecting the player. Now the player seems to get it all. I’m all for constructive criticism and people expressing their views, but some of the derogatory stuff is uncalled for and serves no useful purpose apart from making the targeted players feel unwanted or unwelcome at best, and detested by their own fans at worst.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

10 hours ago, DreamOakTree said:

A few more just sprung to mind: Reghan Tumilty, James McPake, Jamie Stevenson, Jim McAllister, Sean McGinty, Brian McLean and Gary Oliver. Other club’s fans get impatient with a regular underperforming team or players. We’re the only “fans” in Scotland who see fit to barge right in when a youngster’s making his debut, or a new player’s yet to even pull on a pair of boots. Don’t kid yourselves, we’re the worst for that behaviour in the country.

Utter nonsense.  Maybe some of our fans get a bit irritated when players don't perform, but I think most fans want them to succeed.  Expressing doubts about signings is reasonable comment, but if players do the biz, the fans will be right behind them.  As for your list, to take just one name:  Derek Gaston?  FFS. Derek was at Morton for quite a few years and although he might have been criticised at times for mistakes that any keeper could have made, and sometimes for his occasionally erratic kickouts, he was widely respected as a good keeper.  I don't recall him receiving anything that could be described as abuse, and even now that he is at Arbroath, I don't think I've ever hear anyone criticise of abuse him.  Those that have received criticism are foten targets because they have shown a lack of respect to morton after leaving; Thomas O'Ware springs to mind.  Had he just said goodbye in a more respectful manner, I'm sure people would have thnaked him for his efforts and wished him well.

• Upvote 1

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

54 minutes ago, DreamOakTree said:

People saying that myself and others should leave the forum if we don’t like over the top criticism of our players are surely being a bit inconsistent. If you’re saying a forum is there to express your opinion then why can’t we express ours? Take that view to its conclusion and you’d end up with only people whose purpose seems to be to constantly criticise our players as a matter of course. Is anyone saying that the likes of Robbie Muirhead and Cameron Blues haven’t been targeted for regular negative criticism and derogatory remarks? albeit they’ve managed to stay at the club despite it. Does anyone really think that players these days aren’t aware of what’s being said on forums? It used to be that if a player was dedicated and gave 100% but struggled with form or lesser ability, then the criticism would then (rightly) shift to the manager for selecting the player. Now the player seems to get it all. I’m all for constructive criticism and people expressing their views, but some of the derogatory stuff is uncalled for and serves no useful purpose apart from making the targeted players feel unwanted or unwelcome at best, and detested by their own fans at worst.

If professional footballers are so delicate that they can't cope with being criticised for not being very good, they simply shouldn't read online forums. Tough shite.

As far as things that happen at games goes, there's definitely been situations with some players over the years were things do go tooo far and it's never particularly pleasant, but nonetheless I doubt that's restricted to Morton fans only. It's a thing that happens at games, but it's just flat-out nonsense to suggest any of those players left the club for any reason other than they weren't wanted or got a better deal elsewhere. Very few of them were missed either.

James McPake was on fuckin loan, for a start. Did Sean McGinty ever even play in front of fans for us? Are we meant to be sad such a colossally bad player left? How is it the fans fault that Gary Oliver is not a Championship footballer? It's just an absurd claim all round, but some of the "examples" given are just preposterous. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

AWMSC

Sorry but that's utter pish.  The only player I can remember getting OTT abuse from the fans (and it wasn't even a majority) in recent memory was Brian Graham and I only thought that due to him being relatively young, not because he wasn't shite at the time.

Before that the last player I ever felt sorry for due to abuse from home fans was Andy Carlin and even then I think he was just a victim of the fans frustrations around the club's whole situation at that time.

Abuse after they leave the club is null and void as it's a football fan's god given right to hound a rival player whether they leave on good terms or not!

here today, gone to hell

I don’t understand DOT’s point of view, either. As a relative newcomer to the forum, I can’t help noticing the number of members on here who wish players well when they move on - irrespective of whether they’ve performed consistently or not. Those type of posts don’t come across as being written by baying loonies determined to criticise anyone at the drop of a hat. From where I’m standing, the overwhelming number of comments and posts on here are well-reasoned, well thought-out, fair, objective - and usually accurate. Also (and FWIW) if such a vast list of players had indeed been ‘driven out’ by fans, all that tells me is that there must be a hell of a lot of snowflakes playing fitba. Getting stick from the fans when you fuck up goes with the territory.

Edited by SassenachTon

This attitude towards our own players was quite roundly agreed amongst the Ton Fans I stood with over the years at Cappielow.
The general consensus was that an inflated sense of superiority of some fans was actually due to the transferance of an inferiority complex.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

7 hours ago, DreamOakTree said:

This attitude towards our own players was quite roundly agreed amongst the Ton Fans I stood with over the years at Cappielow.
The general consensus was that an inflated sense of superiority of some fans was actually due to the transferance of an inferiority complex.

That's plenty.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

8 hours ago, DreamOakTree said:

[citation needed] 

• Upvote 2

You address me by my proper title, you little bollocks!