Squad for next Season - Page 24 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Squad for next Season

I have never heard of these new signings. Don’t really follow what’s going on at other clubs, but from the reactions on here it looks like the expectation is mid table at best.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

1 hour ago, Alibi said:

I have never heard of these new signings. Don’t really follow what’s going on at other clubs, but from the reactions on here it looks like the expectation is mid table at best.

Quitongo was here before. Son of Jose. Thinks he could play for Portugal.

Happy to help.

18 hours ago, ChampTon said:

Don't think I could handle it being Grant Gillespie. Just screams past it.

To be fair, everyone down here said exactly the same thing when Derby signed Dave Mackay back in the 70’s. Too old, too fat and way past his sell-by date. But the contribution he subsequently made to the club’s progress was astounding. Like all the signings so far - only time will tell.

Edited by SassenachTon

1 hour ago, Jamie_M said:

Quitongo was here before. Son of Jose. Thinks he could play for Portugal.

Happy to help.

FFS, I know who Quitongo is.  I've been watching Morton since 1963.  I was meaning Gillespie and the other guy coming on loan from Livingston.

Quitongo senior was a decent player - IIRC he played one game for us as a trialist and then immediately signed for St Mirren.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

16 minutes ago, Alibi said:

FFS, I know who Quitongo is.  I've been watching Morton since 1963.  I was meaning Gillespie and the other guy coming on loan from Livingston.

Quitongo senior was a decent player - IIRC he played one game for us as a trialist and then immediately signed for St Mirren.

Gillespie has been kicking about our level for ages. Played his most successful spell at Accies when Dougie was there and has been with Ayr and Raith too. Combatitive midfielder similar to Jacobs who was at Queens Park last season and has played for Derry as well. Not going to pull up any trees.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Alibi said:

🤣

1 hour ago, Alibi said:

Only played the first half, scored a cracking goal and was subbed at halftime so they could sign him.

I was speaking to his wife at the Kilmarnock League cup tie when Jai scored and said I'd love to have seen him in a Morton strip for a couple of seasons.

She said he'd been training with us for a couple of weeks and wanted to sign, but that no offer was being made, so when St Mirren said they wanted to sign him and made an offer it was a no brainer.

They had a couple of kids and a mortgage to pay just like most folk.

Quitongo interview up on YouTube. Interesting that he was supposed to come to us on loan in January and its didn't happen.  Indicates Dougie had had his eye on him for a while.

• Upvote 1

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

17 minutes ago, Mr.Blue said:

Quitongo interview up on YouTube. Interesting that he was supposed to come to us on loan in January and its didn't happen.  Indicates Dougie had had his eye on him for a while.

I found that pretty remarkable tbh. Whilst striking options aren't particularly easy to come by in January, wanting a guy who was yet to make an appearance for a middling third tier side on loan seems a pretty fuckin weird choice in any circumstances. It's true we could have done with another forward, but still...that seems a Kezia Sterling-esque signing.

Imrie says in the paper today that Quitongo has back-to-back league championships (I'd assume that's a misquote given Queen's Park finished a very distant 4th place) and that he "took them up the leagues which shows he's a winner". I find that pretty odd too, in all honesty. Quitongo started one single game last season, and only a minority of games for QP in the bottom tier before, before being released in the summer.

With all due respect to Dougie, that doesn't really scream "winner" or "key player" to me, but I guess we shall see.

AWMSC

26 minutes ago, EanieMeany said:

I found that pretty remarkable tbh. Whilst striking options aren't particularly easy to come by in January, wanting a guy who was yet to make an appearance for a middling third tier side on loan seems a pretty fuckin weird choice in any circumstances. It's true we could have done with another forward, but still...that seems a Kezia Sterling-esque signing.

Imrie says in the paper today that Quitongo has back-to-back league championships (I'd assume that's a misquote given Queen's Park finished a very distant 4th place) and that he "took them up the leagues which shows he's a winner". I find that pretty odd too, in all honesty. Quitongo started one single game last season, and only a minority of games for QP in the bottom tier before, before being released in the summer.

With all due respect to Dougie, that doesn't really scream "winner" or "key player" to me, but I guess we shall see.

Not much pleases you, does it?😂

• Upvote 1

TIME FOR CHANGE!

Thought he came across alright and I didn't think he came across like he was faking that he still has confidence in his abilities to perform like you might see with someone with his fitness history. 

Hopefully gets a good pre season under his belt and can stay fit the majority of the season. If he can then I have a funny feeling that he may surprise some people. 

• Upvote 2

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

2 minutes ago, EanieMeany said:

I'm already preparing a Portuguese theme day in Jai's honour, don't worry.

Listen here you little shit, don't bring me down with you when someone's calling you a negative Nancy. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

8 hours ago, Toby said:

Perhaps it’s just because I don’t like the boy, but I don’t think he came across well at all in the interview. From the off he skirted round the question about what the club means to him. Of course I don’t expect it to mean the same to him as it does to you and I so should probably be thankful he didn’t feed us a lot of shite.

He speaks about his personal ambitions and says he wants to show the fans “he is what he was years ago”. This isn’t the second coming of Marko Rajamaki or Peter MacDonald- he was alright and had a wee bit of a purple patch, a bit like Archie Campbell.

Describing the club as “somewhere” isn’t exactly the most complimentary of references either, and I’ve got to say it was a very unusual interview for a player jointing a new club. We all know that if he was chocolate he’d eat himself, and it comes across in the interview but he doesn’t strike me as particularly well media-trained, which surprises me as Jonathan was all over that with young players when he was here previously. There are few of the usual platitudes you hear from a new signing.

It appears that his targets are personal and the success of the team a possible side effect of him reaching those targets before he fucks off to pastures new next season.

Good luck to him I suppose, but I don’t see us demanding a statue of him on Sinclair Street anytime in the future. One or t’other will be dropped like a sack of spuds sooner rather than later.

Agreed. Thought he came across like an arrogant prick in both his answers and his body language. I don't mind if a player thinks they're amazing and then goes on to absolutely rip up a league. However, his ego certainly seems to have been an issue in the past and it didn't appear to have lessened. My only hope for him being good was a Shankland at Ayr level realisation and turnaround. Can't see that being the case. 

• Upvote 1

I don't give a flying fk how his interview comes across, if the lad gives his all, stays injury free, and can channel his ego to perform and do well for us then how he talks in front of a camera will mean fk all to all of us.

I trust Dougie as the type o man who can channel the young 24 year old boys attitude in the right direction I trust him before I trust the  opinions of some folk spouting piss on here .

He has not been on the park two mins and folk have written him off.

While he is with us and playing for the jersey I'll reserve judgement and wish him well. However I get a feeling some online football managers  would rather he fails miserably.

While he is yet to kick a ball I'll give him my support ,yes things may go tits up and then I'll judge . 

And I feel a lot want it to fail so they get a sense of look told you so,but come on let's back him .

I personally think it's worth a punt when he did have his purple patch he was a joy to watch ,he has that in him he's still young , if he finds the form and stays fit and confident it could work out for us. 

A lot o too players have big egos and come across as wnkers on interviews personality not being as to your expectations don't mean they don't give a fk about the team,some folk may think your a cnt with how you come across but I'm sure you have good intentions.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

5 minutes ago, Eastcoastton said:

I trust Dougie as the type o man who can channel the young 24 year old boys attitude in the right direction I trust him before I trust the  opinions of some folk spouting piss on here .

At 24 he's hardly in the 'young boy' category any more. He's a fully grown adult but from the interview I'm still not fully convinced he acts like one, which may also explain your confusion. 

Like everyone else I of course hope Dougie's faith him him proves to be well founded, but I am concerned he's using up a wage that could have been far better invested on someone with a more stable and proven track record. 

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, EanieMeany said:

I think the point he is making is that he was in a team that had success, and that is still good for players to experience what it feels like to win something no matter what part he played in them getting there.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Cet Homme Charmant said:

At 24 he's hardly in the 'young boy' category any more. He's a fully grown adult but from the interview I'm still not fully convinced he acts like one, which may also explain your confusion. 

Like everyone else I of course hope Dougie's faith him him proves to be well founded, but I am concerned he's using up a wage that could have been far better invested on someone with a more stable and proven track record. 

24 is a good age and young for a footballer has a good 7 year ahead o him still ,   if it works out well it will be a step up on Gary Oliver I'm sure .

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2