Squad for next Season - Page 23 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Squad for next Season

Both those signings can be considered fine in isolation but make it vital that we get some real quality with the signings still to come. We needed another holding midfield option and Gillespie is acceptable for that as cover, despite the hope we could have had someone closer to Wilson in quality with Jacobs as cover rather than bringing in someone to be cover to Jacobs. Similarly Quitongo is a massive gamble, but we basically needed a whole forward line including cover and if he's going to be taking Oliver's place as impact sub rather than being an Ugwu or Reilly replacement then we could have done worse, such as keeping Oliver.

We still need cover at left back, ideally through someone who can cover centre back as well. Otherwise every other signing to come needs to be someone coming in to go straight into the starting XI, with serious creativity and goals needing added. As it stands those three or four signings could be the difference between 4th and 10th. Some Craig Sibbald level coups and we can look up the way, more Jai Quitongos and you've got a team which ended last season with only 7 goals in 11 games looking considerably weaker creatively.

• Upvote 2

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Gillespie seems a bit out of the blue and it doesn’t look like he’s played much football in the last few years. 
Got to assume this one is down to Imrie knowing him from their Hamilton days - so sticking to the positives, at least the manager knows the player and to a degree what he’s getting. 
But it does feel a bit like a signing to lift the fans is needed as the natives are getting restless. 

Edited by HeidTheBaw

It's telling that we all disappointed that QP were doing the right thing from their point of view by dumping players like these. There's obviously the Imrie connection with Gillespie and Jai was a young player with potential at one point but it's a big gamble to try to get both careers back in track.

Points to a bit of a struggle to attract quality players. 

7 minutes ago, Brian Skelton said:

Gillespie has only played 6 league games in 2 seasons at Queens Park which is a bit concerning.

He started 19 league games for them last season.

EOho8Pw.png

So far then it looks like Kabia and Jai either side of Muirhead if it’s 4-3-3. We still need a creative midfielder, another forward and a defender though. Apparently Dick Campbell wants 50k for Nicky Low so I’m not sure we’d pay that.

24 minutes ago, DreamOakTree said:

So far then it looks like Kabia and Jai either side of Muirhead if it’s 4-3-3. We still need a creative midfielder, another forward and a defender though. Apparently Dick Campbell wants 50k for Nicky Low so I’m not sure we’d pay that.

There's no way we would even consider paying that sort of fee for a player.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

Kabia would be much better news.

I reckon we could be realistically looking at an XI like this now, leaving aside the debates around how exactly the front three will be set up for the sake of simplicity:

Schwake

Pignatiello - O'Connor - Baird - Strapp

Lyon/Blues - New - Jacobs

Muirhead - New - New (Kabia?)

Cover:

New youth GK

Lithgow, Hynes, New LB

Gillespie, Lyon/Blues, McGrattan, King

Muirhead/New, Quitongo, Garrity, McGrattan, McGregor, Easdale

You'd think that number of players should allow King and McGregor to get the loan moves they need to develop.

If the players you're parachuting into the new slots in that starting XI were to be, to pluck some names out the air, Craig Sibbald and Euan Henderson, that would look like quite a handy XI with reasonable cover. If instead the remaining new signings are no better than what we have and we get a first choice midfield three of Jacobs, Lyon and Blues with Quitongo the first choice centre forward, we'll have gone backwards.

Have to trust that Imrie knows what he's doing as he's given us no reason not to, but I'm really eager to see quality come in now.

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Morton have gone to Hell on a handcart.

7 minutes ago, port-ton said:

Is there a limit to how many loans from Livingston we can have? 

There should be a limit on the amount of shite rejects we sign from Queens Park.  None.

*insert signature here*

44 minutes ago, port-ton said:

Is there a limit to how many loans from Livingston we can have? 

4 from a single club in a different division. 2 from a single club in the same division. 6 total from SPFL clubs.

They raised it to this during COVID and never undid it.

Edited by TRVMP

EOho8Pw.png

1 hour ago, dunning1874 said:

Kabia would be much better news.

I reckon we could be realistically looking at an XI like this now, leaving aside the debates around how exactly the front three will be set up for the sake of simplicity:

Schwake

Pignatiello - O'Connor - Baird - Strapp

Lyon/Blues - New - Jacobs

Muirhead - New - New (Kabia?)

Cover:

New youth GK

Lithgow, Hynes, New LB

Gillespie, Lyon/Blues, McGrattan, King

Muirhead/New, Quitongo, Garrity, McGrattan, McGregor, Easdale

You'd think that number of players should allow King and McGregor to get the loan moves they need to develop.

If the players you're parachuting into the new slots in that starting XI were to be, to pluck some names out the air, Craig Sibbald and Euan Henderson, that would look like quite a handy XI with reasonable cover. If instead the remaining new signings are no better than what we have and we get a first choice midfield three of Jacobs, Lyon and Blues with Quitongo the first choice centre forward, we'll have gone backwards.

Have to trust that Imrie knows what he's doing as he's given us no reason not to, but I'm really eager to see quality come in now.

I might be splitting hairs but surely Jacobs would be in the centre of the midfield trio and Muirhead in the centre of the front three! We surely couldn’t have Jacobs in left mid and Muirhead as a right winger?

• Downvote 3

58 minutes ago, TRVMP said:

4 from a single club in a different division. 2 from a single club in the same division. 6 total from SPFL clubs.

They raised it to this during COVID and never undid it.

Ahh okay cheers. I can still hold out hope for the other Jack Hamilton then. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

27 minutes ago, port-ton said:

Ahh okay cheers. I can still hold out hope for the other Jack Hamilton then. 

If he is even at Livi. Out of contract, offered new deal, not signed yet.

Edited by Jamie_M