Squad for next Season - Page 21 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Squad for next Season

From what I heard, it was Jai who didn't want to move, not the club rejecting the offer, despite what was put out in the press 

Players were giving him a bit of stick for rejecting it etc 

The matches what the Doncaster manager told the Tele atvthe time, that they offered what the club wanted.

3 hours ago, DreamOakTree said:

The “I don’t believe it” bloke is actually Richard Wilson from Greenock! So maybe there is a link?

Richard Wilson is from Greenock??? !!!!

I don't believe it.

Edited by SassenachTon

Dougie might just be the type of character needed to get Jai playing again but I just don’t see us getting a run of games outta him at this stage now. Constant stop start due to injuries over the last few years. 

Recruitment has been decent so far, and if we can continue with this then we should be fine. Hopefully another 5/6 to come in though 🤞🏻

Also interested to see the impact Garrity has this season after his loan spell. Hopefully we have a player there.

• Upvote 1

Hopefully he is just training to get fit and that's it. 

He clearly had talent when he was with us but he clearly has a problem with injuries and the amount of games he has played in his career means its just to much of a risk for us to sign him. 

However if there is a manger who can turn players around then it's Dougie and if we did sign him I'm confident baring injuries he could maybe do us a turn. 

21 hours ago, dunning1874 said:

I'm not slow to criticise the Raes and on the face of it someone offering six figures for a player like Quitongo is a take the money and run scenario, but it's worth noting the offer we reportedly turned down on the last day of the window was £100K and we made considerably more than that by getting to the League Cup semi. When you consider his goals in that run there's a reasonable chance we wouldn't have managed it without him, particularly when there would have been no time to replace him.

None of which is remotely an argument in favour of bringing back him now, of of course.

Aye, suppose so when it’s the last day of the window but still, it wasn’t an offer that was likely to come around again.

The idea that there’s a manager who can “get the best out of” Quitongo is wishful thinking in the extreme. Extraordinary turnarounds can sometimes happen in careers, but there’s absolutely nothing in this case to suggest it’s likely to happen.

We’re not talking somebody who’s offering a passable return whilst just been going through the motions and who might be revitalised in the right circumstances, we’re talking somebody who scored a few good goals about 6 years ago and who has done absolutely fuck all since. It’s nowhere near the kind of player a club that asks for a minimum of £400-odd quid a year from fans should be signing, frankly, nor any club that wants to play in the Championship again next season.

Nobody at all would be giving this the time of day if he hadn’t been here before.

AWMSC

Not for me but happy to be proved wrong. Haven't kept up to date with his career since he left but seems he's hardly played any games, and hardly scored any goals. 

If he can stay fit......I'm sure he'll be a nuisance to defenders but he's not going to get us 10/15/20 goals a season. 

Big meh for me. 

Willing to give him a chance and support the boy.  I did like his confidence and aggression when he played with us but overall really surprised he's signed.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

Dougie obviously saw enough in training to think he's worthy of a deal. 

If the information I heard after his release from QP is true then he was willing to join us for quite cheap if we were interested. If we can get a motivated and fit Quitongo who's using this opportunity to try get his career back on track without much financial risk to us then great. 

• Upvote 1

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

If Quitongo can stay fit there’s a player in there and this could work out really well for us. We’ve not had anyone of that explosive style since he left. If he’s looking to get his career on track hopefully that means he’s willing to work hard on and off the pitch to get there. 

Happy to give him a chance but for me far to many unknowns to justify him getting a deal. 

His career has went down the pan since leaving us and his record of games played and goals is worrying. Dougie must have seen enough in the short time he has been training and at least its only a one year deal but it doesn't fill me with much confidence. 

We should bring Jamie McCluskey back, there was a player in there somewhere.

It’s very debatable whether we’re better off than last season. Schwake and Pignatellio are unknown quantities at this level, Baird isn’t really a huge upgrade on McEntee and Quitongo is a significant downgrade on Ugwu (who wasn’t exactly the greatest in the first place) and we’ve lost Wilson who was the only genuinely useful midfielder we had.

Its one thing having faith in Imrie as a manager, but as it stands this is not a squad remotely equipped to compete for promotion and there’s going to need to be a bit of quality added before the season starts.

Once again, the club are asking people for an awful lot of money and aren’t doing anything that’s justifying it in the slightest as it stands.

AWMSC