Squad for next Season - Page 20 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Squad for next Season

28 minutes ago, SpoonTon said:

Think it was not proven. 

10 minutes ago, so72 said:

They ruled not proven. There is an incredible amount of extenuating circumstances as to why he got Not Proven. The evidence is pretty damning but his partner went back to him and changed her story. No worse than what we have in our team though which is an argument that could be made. 

Can't write players off forever you are absolutely correct. As you say though, not good enough onthe park regardless of anything else.

Fair enough, I didn’t care enough to go back and check. From what I can remember it was pretty damning, but it’s up to the law of the land to determine someone’s guilt, not us.

And after using Lithgow’s conviction in my argument against the signing of him this time last year, it wouldn’t be fair of me to demand we don’t sign Quitongo on the back of a Not Proven verdict, much as I don’t like the guy.

But aye, he’s not very good. Someone like Airdrie is probably his level, but with the relations between their fans and the Quitongo family I can’t see that move happening.

• Upvote 2

Even accounting for mostly playing on the wing when he has been fit enough to feature for Queen's Park, if someone with no prior connection to Morton with Quitongo's record in Leagues One & Two was linked to us we'd be filing him in the bin marked 'Orsi and Omar'.

This far into his career the injury record also exacerbates that rather than being a mitigating factor. It's not a case of saying if he just gets the chance to get fit enough to play 30+ games over the season he might really hit the ground running and turn into the player he looked like he had the potential to 5 years ago. It's more that there's no reason to believe he's likely to manage much more than half a season again and asking why we should bother spending money on someone with that injury record, if there's nothing to suggest they'll make a big difference when they are fit enough to start.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

His career has went to shit since he left us. Must be depressing for him looking at his stats.

Just 18 league starts and 30 sub appearances in 4 years for Partick, Dumbarton and Queens Park. Just  the 5 league goals in that time too.

He is only 24 so has time to get his career back on track but i doubt he will get a chance to do that in the Championship this season, at least I hope not!

We have to be looking at better than Quitongo if we are looking to make a mark on the Championship this coming season. Nothing he has done since he departed us for greener pastures suggests he is even worthwhile warming the bench. Remember also the greener pastures was Partick Thistle.

13 minutes ago, Cet Homme Charmant said:

Off topic, but can anybody tell me why footballers have taken to wearing these man-bra things? 

They're for tracking players' output and heart rate and that. All stats stuff.

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

4 hours ago, Cet Homme Charmant said:

Off topic, but can anybody tell me why footballers have taken to wearing these man-bra things? 

They’re all massive Father Ted fans. The wearing of the man-bra is done in homage to ‘The Mainland’ episode featuring the ‘I Don’t Believe It’ bloke out of ‘One Foot In The Grave’. Just ask @BishopBrennan

Edited by SassenachTon
  • Upvote 1

Quitongo was a brilliant, raw talent as a 18/19 year old, but he's arguably only gone backwards since then. He hasn't seemed to improve much technically and has perhaps lost that fearless edge he had before injuries. I'm sure there are those around him that would say I'm being unfair and that he's still got the talent, but his career has never really got going. There's very little, if anything, to suggest he's what we're looking for (beyond once having, a really quite explosive, raw potential).

He would undoubtedly be a better squad player than Easdale, though, but I expect he's just training with us (like many players have done over the years without signing). 

1 hour ago, SpoonTon said:

Quitongo was a brilliant, raw talent as a 18/19 year old, but he's arguably only gone backwards since then. He hasn't seemed to improve much technically and has perhaps lost that fearless edge he had before injuries. I'm sure there are those around him that would say I'm being unfair and that he's still got the talent, but his career has never really got going. There's very little, if anything, to suggest he's what we're looking for (beyond once having, a really quite explosive, raw potential).

He would undoubtedly be a better squad player than Easdale, though, but I expect he's just training with us (like many players have done over the years without signing). 

Easdale comes across as a nice lad who brings buses and sponsorship to the table while Quitongo comes across as an unnecessary injury-prone risk, with baggage, who could not get a game in the seaside leagues.

14 hours ago, SassenachTon said:

They’re all massive Father Ted fans. The wearing of the man-bra is done in homage to ‘The Mainland’ episode featuring the ‘I Don’t Believe It’ bloke out of ‘One Foot In The Grave’. Just ask @BishopBrennan

The “I don’t believe it” bloke is actually Richard Wilson from Greenock! So maybe there is a link?

1 hour ago, HamCam said:

Easdale comes across as a nice lad who brings buses and sponsorship to the table while Quitongo comes across as an unnecessary injury-prone risk, with baggage, who could not get a game in the seaside leagues.

Yeah, not a fan of that whatsoever. 

Easdale is only 3 league goals off Quitongo over the last couple of seasons, and he's been at a higher level.

Anyway, to be quite frank I think the way Quitongo's career has turned out was roughly always the most likely outcome; if Dougie Rae actually did turn down a sizeable bid for him, it ranks right up with the stupidest things he ever done at Cappielow. If somebody's daft enough to want to throw money at you for a player like that, you take it and laugh all the way to the bank with it.

For all Imrie's earned our trust, it would be an absolutely bizarre decision if he has indeed chosen to sign up this character. 

• Upvote 1

AWMSC

Looking at where we are with ins and outs now:

Out: Russell, Ledger, McLean, McEntee, Brandon, Wilson, Reilly, Ugwu, Oliver

In: Schwake, O'Connor, Baird, Pignatiello

Fair to assume Hamilton will probably join the players out and Schwake is a replacement for him, while I'm not counting Bysouth as it's safe to assume he was on buttons as a youth player and will be similarly replaced on the bench by a youth player on buttons.

Laying it out like that I'm a bit more comfortable with the scope we've still got to add depth to the squad - adding Hamilton to the departures makes it 10 out with only four in, so even if we can only match up the numbers we had last season there's still the room to add six. It's possible we could even stretch that further, if there's truth in the rumours that Ugwu and Reilly were both on decent wages - perhaps the wage for the two of them could be spread between three new signings rather than two, and maybe Schwake comes cheaper than Hamilton too.

Having had five defenders out and three in, we could be okay with one more. We still need left back cover but if that player can cover centre back too then we've enough depth in defence. If that was to then leave us five signings to go, that's enough for another holding midfielder, a playmaker, a couple of centre forwards and a behind the striker or winger type, the numbers of each depending how exactly Imrie envisages setting up that front three.

If there's some real creative quality among those signings then that leaves us in a pretty good place. If they're all the level of Jai Quitongo...

Oh Lord, Brian Wake