Squad for next Season - Page 18 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Squad for next Season

Brilliant news!  just need Jack Hamilton to sign on again and that will be a long way towards a credible squad.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

Absolutely terrific news.

Still need left back cover, preferably from someone who can cover centre back as well, but that's the defence pretty much sorted.

I really had no hope of keeping him and this means he'll be away for nothing next summer, but that's fine. If the club have played hardball over compensation looking for a substantial fee and no club was willing to pay it then I'm good with that. We get another season out of our best player and it's a sign that the club has moved on from the previous regime who had the piss taken out of them on transfer fees and displayed gross incompetence in letting players we were entitled to compensation for leave for nothing.

• Upvote 2

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

While that's mostly true, this case also underlines the sketchy nature of any 'youth players brought through the system = sales and easy profit' business model for the club. Unless a club comes in next January offering a sell-on, we will get zero and probably wouldn't have been happy with the compensation for losing Strapp this summer either. 

To realise a profit you need to have both young players on long-term deals like Jim McLean in his prime as well as a PR bullshit operation to con some gullible English club (usually Swansea) into taking the bait. 

• Upvote 2

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Excellent news in itself, and also because there's already a dearth of quality in the squad as it is. It'd be a blow to lose Strapp from any squad, but even more so when it's one that's not got a great deal else to shout about in it.

I really can't imagine he'd have shown any interest in staying under any of Imrie's predecessors going back...well, fuckin ages, really. 

AWMSC

I never thought it would happen. But so, so glad that it has. I think it’s possibly largely a result of Dougie’s obvious passion and commitment to succeed, along with his powers of persuasion. Who knows. Brilliant news. I still think he should get the captain’s armband, and I can’t think of anyone in the squad better qualified to lead by example.

Edited by SassenachTon

8 minutes ago, SassenachTon said:

I never thought it would happen. But so, so glad that it has. I think it’s possibly largely a result of Dougie’s obvious passion and commitment to succeed, along with his powers of persuasion. Who knows. Brilliant news. I still think he should get the captain’s armband, and I can’t think of anyone in the squad better qualified to lead by example.

If we start with a 433 the line up could be looking like:

New

Pignatello baird oconnor strapp

Lyon/ blues new new

Muirhead new new

Subs- mcgrattan, mcgregor, easedale, lithgow, Jacobs, king

Have I missed anyone? Still a bit of work to be done on that squad. 

Edited by Mr.Blue

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

The glorious Brian Schwake announced as keeper signing.

Had heard we were watching him during the playoffs and he was our back up plan for Hamilton potentially going to St Johnstone if they had went down.

Edinburgh City fans seemed to like him. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

We need another keeper even if Hamilton does stay, this guy seems the right profile for a solid back-up so wouldn’t take it as meaning Hamilton is off.

It’s somebody else Imrie will be familiar with too, which is a real boon following previous debacles such as that character that played a few games for the Dog & Duck pub before signing last January and never even making the bench.

AWMSC

13 minutes ago, EanieMeany said:

We need another keeper even if Hamilton does stay, this guy seems the right profile for a solid back-up so wouldn’t take it as meaning Hamilton is off.

It’s somebody else Imrie will be familiar with too, which is a real boon following previous debacles such as that character that played a few games for the Dog & Duck pub before signing last January and never even making the bench.

There's not a chance that will happen. Not only would Livi not allow their young prospect to warm the bench for a season, but it would be an absolute waste of our limited resources. Imrie also wouldn't risk falling out with the staff at Livi given his apparent plans to loan a few of their players. Give me (Sch)wake and a regen to warm the bench. 

• Upvote 1

You address me by my proper title, you little bollocks! 

Might turn out to be a capable player but I'll admit I'd rather Hamilton stayed. More experienced, known quality.

Good luck to Schwake anyway.

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

Pleased with that, very highly rated at Edinburgh and looked excellent on the rare occasions I saw him; I thought he'd be an obvious target if Hamilton was away.

Like Pignatiello it's bringing in a player from a lower league who has been a standout for their club and has shown credible signs of being ready for a step up, rather than the Hopkin approach of launching contracts at players who couldn't get a game at Brechin and were released by them.

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

1 hour ago, BishopBrennan said:

There's not a chance that will happen. Not only would Livi not allow their young prospect to warm the bench for a season, but it would be an absolute waste of our limited resources. Imrie also wouldn't risk falling out with the staff at Livi given his apparent plans to loan a few of their players. Give me (Sch)wake and a regen to warm the bench. 

I would imagine that GMFC will withdraw there offer to Hamilton. Afterall he has had weeks to accept the offer. He obviously has been holding out, hoping for something better, which of course he is entitled to do.