Squad for next Season - Page 16 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Squad for next Season

11 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

If it even got to the contract stage. He was said to be 'in discussions' which would have largely involved Dougie asking what his plans for next season were because he wanted him to stay and Gozie replying that his Mrs is up the duff and he's heading back down south.

Not sure why that took until now.

Contracts run until 10th June I think so both sides were probably just keeping their options open. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

8 hours ago, Jamie_M said:

Does the Fifa rule not only give compensation to each club, in each country, up until the player signs his FIRST professional contract, with all subsequent moves only paying the former club?

Screenshot_20220608-172426_Samsung Notes.jpg

If they move to another club within that country, nothing further is payable (via the FIFA rule.) If they move to yet another country, it is payable.

No matter what, clubs in Scotland aren't getting away with signing youth for free, unless the kid in question played no organized football at all.

Let's say there's a German 20-year-old who trained at Bayern from primary school until he was 16. If he moved to Real Madrid at 16, RM are on the hook for those four years of training (12-16.) If he then moved to PSG at the age of 20, PSG are on the hook to both clubs for their respective four years, all payable via the FIFA formula.

If that same youth at 16 opted to move to Barcelona instead at 20, rather than PSG, there would be no FIFA money payable to either club - but whatever the RFEF (the Spanish FA) mandates would instead be payable to Madrid (and nothing to Bayern.)

The analog here would be that if Josh Rae moves from Peterhead to QoS*, and from QoS to Morton, Morton owe QoS some money via the SFA formula, and . But if he moved instead to Hartlepool, Hartlepool would be on the hook to pay both clubs (and the various other bin clubs he's been involved with, can't be arsed looking it up) via the FIFA formula.

*I actually don't know what path his career has taken; the point is that the last club to which he was contracted is the only one that matters for within-Scotland free transfers.

Edited by TRVMP

EOho8Pw.png

On 6/8/2022 at 4:32 PM, so72 said:

People on Facebook, twitter and the rest need to stop shitting the bed about us being relegated unless we bring in players pronto. Its 8 days into June and we already have a few signings completed and more on the horizon. This all feels very positive and organised for once.  

FBA929E7-F8DE-489B-9916-6A932DF17D43.jpeg

Edited by Pedrodelawasp
Made an ar$e of attaching an image

23 hours ago, Cet Homme Charmant said:

He was offered a contract we he not, in which case Sir Douglas obviously wanted him to stay.

In that case we might be forced into playing passes along the grass, a bit like Scotland last night with our target man missing. Could be a blessing unless Dougie goes for a similar replacement. 

He was offered a contract we he not, in which case Sir Douglas obviously wanted him to stay.

In that case we might be forced into playing passes along the grass, a bit like Scotland last night with our target man missing. Could be a blessing unless Dougie goes for a similar replacement. 

• Downvote 1

• Downvote 2

1 minute ago, DreamOakTree said:

Have a glass of water!

Oliver and Ugwu going elsewhere has done us a huge favour. We need better players and I wish more of last season’s mob had done the same, frankly.

As it is, it’s still early and Imrie’s moves so far have shown a level of preparation and shrewdness that’s been missing for years and therefore any panic is extremely premature, but….nonetheless, the list of players signed up is really, really uninspiring and Dougie is going to need to pull some rabbits out of hats to transform it into a decent proposition. 

Edited by EanieMeany
  • Upvote 2

AWMSC

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 8

The most important style of football is a winning style. We are never going to be Guardiola's Barcelona and while I don't want to see route 1, a physical presence up-front who unsettles defenders and brings others into play can be extremely effective at our level.

11 hours ago, so72 said:

The most important style of football is a winning style. We are never going to be Guardiola's Barcelona and while I don't want to see route 1, a physical presence up-front who unsettles defenders and brings others into play can be extremely effective at our level.

Indeed. Gozie's goal scoring rate was not exceptional by any means, but he did assist a fair few goals with flick-ons and layoffs. He was a handful for every defence and he'll be difficult to replace. 

He wasn't always on his game sadly, but Gozie was a somewhat effective presence up top. The 1-1 with Killie near the end of the season I thought he was outstanding. I think his previous injuries had him playing with some nerves. 

21 minutes ago, ChampTon said:

He wasn't always on his game sadly, but Gozie was a somewhat effective presence up top. The 1-1 with Killie near the end of the season I thought he was outstanding. I think his previous injuries had him playing with some nerves. 

I was critical of him most games but when watching back the highlights he was normally a big part of any chances we created. 

18 minutes ago, GiGi said:

Didn't score enough goals, cost too much money. Can and have to do better.

Indeed. Players that "can be a handful" are ten a penny in the lower leagues, and every other team seems to be able to find somebody who's some sort of goal threat. I've no doubt that Dougie will be able to replace Ugwu with ease, frankly.

AWMSC

1 hour ago, EanieMeany said:

Indeed. Players that "can be a handful" are ten a penny in the lower leagues, and every other team seems to be able to find somebody who's some sort of goal threat. I've no doubt that Dougie will be able to replace Ugwu with ease, frankly.

Agreed. I liked Gozie and he had some great moments. But you never knew which version of him would run out onto the pitch - the sharp, aware, creative, threatening and productive version, or the lumbering, seemingly unaware-of-everything version who didn’t have the slightest effect on the outcome of a game. Top lad though, and I wish him well. Dougie has to find a replacement who isn’t just good - he has to be consistently good.

Edited by SassenachTon

Perhaps strangely, the Ugwu situation reminded me of Benny Rooney’s statement following what I think was our record outgoing transfer of Mark McGhee. He said that we’d be better as a team as our players always tried to find McGhee with the ball. It was a bold prediction which turned out to be true as our teamwork ethic greatly improved. Ugwu can’t be compared with McGhee but a similar outcome would be welcomed.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1