Squad for next Season - Page 13 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Squad for next Season

Not bothered at all with Wilson going, more the fact that QoS seems a more attractive option with him and Reilly heading there. 

I thought our performances dipped and midfield control was lost when he came into the team for Lyon. Definitely better out there. Fingers crossed Queens want Jacobs back too. 

Wilson was not the new Busquets. Ponderously slow. We can do better. Someone to complement Lyon/Blues, who work well together.

Edited by Alibi

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

11 minutes ago, Alibi said:

Wilson was not the new Busquets. Ponderously slow. We can do better. Someone to complement Lyon/Blues, who work well together.

Aye because they're definitely the Xavi/Iniesta in this comparison.

GettyImages.484318712.jpg

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

8 hours ago, Alibi said:

At most one of Lyon and Blues should be starting games every week, and if you were looking to build a squad to target the top four rather than survival there's an argument for neither in the first choice midfield.

Wilson was brought in to do a job that Lyon and Blues couldn't in stopping us conceding so many goals from loose balls outside the box. After a pretty dreadful first few games when he wasn't fully fit, as soon as he was up to speed he did exactly that job and stopped us conceding like that.

There were question marks about him in possession, although this also improved over time and that was far more an issue arising from the shape and the players around him. Imrie was wedded to both a back three to compensate for pace in the defence and a front three to maintain a high press, leaving us short of bodies and at risk of being overrun in the middle of the park. That it didn't happen often is credit to how well Wilson was doing his job of disrupting the opposition, but this did mean he had more responsibility in possession than you'd have wanted him to have.

The far bigger culprit in failing to step up to that challenge and seeing our goals scored drop off a cliff though was Blues: you need whoever is beside the holding midfielder in that system to take responsibility for driving us up the park with the ball at their feet and he wasn't half as good as Lyon at that. Lyon losing his place in the team 100% made us poorer creatively but looking at Wilson as the one keeping him out is missing the point - that's either on Imrie for preferring Blues to Lyon or Lyon himself for whatever he was doing in training that made Imrie lose trust in him.

Next season we wouldn't have had that issue, as going to a back four means Imrie can have his front three without leaving us short in midfield, and there won't be the same onus on the holding midfielder to contribute in possession with two players in there with him.

• Upvote 1

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

9 hours ago, vikingTON said:

Aye because they're definitely the Xavi/Iniesta in this comparison.

I think you’re missing the point. Wilson is not as good as some are claiming. He did pretty much the job that Jacobs was meant to do, but losing him is not really a huge loss. Nobody is saying that Blues or Lyon are the new Xavi/Iniesta, but in the few games in which they both featured, they did seem to work quite well together. Would I like better players in every position? Of course. But losing Wilson is in my opinion not the major blow some seem to think. Losing Strapp would be a far worse loss.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

1 hour ago, Alibi said:

I think you’re missing the point. Wilson is not as good as some are claiming. He did pretty much the job that Jacobs was meant to do, but losing him is not really a huge loss. Nobody is saying that Blues or Lyon are the new Xavi/Iniesta, but in the few games in which they both featured, they did seem to work quite well together. Would I like better players in every position? Of course. But losing Wilson is in my opinion not the major blow some seem to think. Losing Strapp would be a far worse loss.

No, you are missing the point about why Blues and Lyon's midfield partnership was limited to a "few games", while Wilson was an ever-present in the team.

Anyone who wants to build a starting midfield partnership around Blues/Lyon in this upcoming Championship is asking for a serious relegation scrap. Only one of the two should be at the club (take your pick - personally I'd prefer Lyon) whereas having both still leaves us with a serious need to upgrade in that position, with less budget that we should have. 

Our new additions are fairly encouraging but there's a required ruthlessness about retaining the old squad that I'm not seeing. 

Edited by vikingTON

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

As it stands looking like

new GK

Pigniatello Baird O’Connor new lb

blues jacobs lyon

Muirhead new new

Squad options 

Lithgow, Hynes, McGrattan, King, McGregor, Easdale, Garrity

Still tbc - Hamilton, Strapp, Ugwu, Oliver 

I thought that Wilson looked like a player with the potential to be really good at this level, and I do think he'd fit in better in a 4-3-3 type structure (there was often an aspect of him not quite fitting in, I thought), but there's also a part of me that thinks if he doesn't smooth out those (sometimes very) rough edges then he won't ever quite be the player he looks like he might be - he did so some ridiculously bad stuff in amongst his good general play. 

I think we're going to have to hope Jacobs can find his form or we can find a way to move him on (which Imrie seemed to generally hint at in terms of players who already have a deal).

3 hours ago, Doddie said:

As it stands looking like

new GK

Pigniatello Baird O’Connor new lb

blues jacobs lyon

Muirhead new new

Squad options 

Lithgow, Hynes, McGrattan, King, McGregor, Easdale, Garrity

Still tbc - Hamilton, Strapp, Ugwu, Oliver 

Realistically out of the still tbc I'd be extremely surprised if Hamilton and Ugwu stayed. Strapp might stay due to compensation rules unless he gets an offer from down South and Oliver is an unknown. He might have a better offer from a Queen of the South or something but don't think most fans would be bothered to lose him anyway. 

You've got to imagine that Dougie will have a new keeper in mind to replace Hamilton that we would get over the line quickly as last thing we want is for him to go elsewhere and we've been waiting on him signing. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

On 5/16/2022 at 4:19 PM, LargsTON said:

I realise it's an enormous jump in levels but there's a young boy at Largs Thistle just now called William Sewell who's just banged in 41 goals this season.  He's a very composed finisher with pace to burn.  I'd suggest he's more worthy of a look than retaining the likes of Ecky Easdale.  Apparently a few senior clubs sniffing about already.

Signs for Stenny.

Ideal, stupid wee club to take that inevitable gamble, before The Famous swoop for him in January*

* Or he goes back to the Juniors - either way, we lose nothing. 

Can’t help wondering if Wilson and Reilly are hoping they’ll benefit from QOS playing the ball on the deck more than Morton. Hopefully Imrie intends to improve that aspect and we see the results-emergence of Lyon playing a part in it. I’d still like to sign someone like Stephen McGinn who can keep possession and I feel is an upgrade on Wilson and Jacobs.

• Downvote 2

3 minutes ago, DreamOakTree said:

Can’t help wondering if Wilson and Reilly are hoping they’ll benefit from QOS playing the ball on the deck more than Morton. 

Aye they're been Brazil 1970ing it all the way to the Lowland League right enough.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, DreamOakTree said:

Can’t help wondering if Wilson and Reilly are hoping they’ll benefit from QOS playing the ball on the deck more than Morton. Hopefully Imrie intends to improve that aspect and we see the results-emergence of Lyon playing a part in it. I’d still like to sign someone like Stephen McGinn who can keep possession and I feel is an upgrade on Wilson and Jacobs.

Two players with previous at QotS, one from Dumfries and the other from Ayrshire, I think that is the biggest draw alongside probably being their highest paid players - certainly Reilly anyway.