Squad for next Season - Page 12 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Squad for next Season

Imagine going back in time to December 2021 and telling your past self that Blues and Muirhead would be signing new 2 year deals.

Whatever you think of it now, it's not something anyone would've seen coming then.  

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, SpoonTon said:

Imagine going back in time to December 2021 and telling your past self that Blues and Muirhead would be signing new 2 year deals.

Whatever you think of it now, it's not something anyone would've seen coming then.  

I think it’s very much the kind of thing you’d have expected tbh, if by December you mean pre-Imrie. This is a club that gave Gus MacPherson a two-year deal and had cheerfully doled out god knows many contracts to Blues and Muirhead for absolutely fuck all already.

Anyway, I’m really not sold on this either. Muirhead definitely improved enough that another year was merited in the end, but at the same time I think the extent of his improvement has been, frankly, over-rated too. Enough for one year, sure, but two? I really don’t know about that and it won’t be a great surprise if we’re sitting next summer bemoaning not being able to get somebody else in.

ETA: Also, if Imrie wasn't willing to play Muirhead up front instead of Ugwu by the end of the season it doesn't really suggest a great deal of faith in him, does it? Either that, or it doesn't show great judgement, to be honest.

Edited by EanieMeany

AWMSC

Again I'm concerned about handing out a 2 year deal to a guy who's only really turned up since January. 

I'd have kept him as I think he's a decent option to have and he's scored some big goals for us in the last few years, but only on a 1 year deal. 

It's risky stuff signings these guys on 2 year deals who have, 90% of the time, been absolute duds. I really hope they continue to kick on.

Cant  say I'm delighted with some  of our  contracts that  have been handed out to our existing  squad members , to  be honest we were a poor  team last  year and  giving 2  year deals to  standard  players is  wrong.  mediocracy  expected again  next  season unless  new  guys  , make the difference 

forever optimistic

I’m hoping this is an approach of balancing a relatively poor wage with the security of two year deals, enabling us to offer more to some targets who would otherwise be out of our reach and are only likely to accept one year anyway in the hope of attracting better offers after a season. The alternative is players being given two year deals as they’re going to be considered the spine of the team who we’re looking to build around for a couple of years, when they shouldn’t be considered guaranteed starters.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

36 minutes ago, dunning1874 said:

I’m hoping this is an approach of balancing a relatively poor wage with the security of two year deals, enabling us to offer more to some targets who would otherwise be out of our reach and are only likely to accept one year anyway in the hope of attracting better offers after a season. The alternative is players being given two year deals as they’re going to be considered the spine of the team who we’re looking to build around for a couple of years, when they shouldn’t be considered guaranteed starters.

It's fine margins between good and bad teams in this league so possibly Dougie values the continuity. 

The likes of Luke Donnelly aren't world beaters but have been part of a fairly successful and settled Arbroath team. 

38 minutes ago, dunning1874 said:

This was my thoughts too. We hear so much about security at this level. In some capacity, I think it's a smart move. 

When you have the budget we do, if you want to kick on, you need to take measured risks. Low wages with security of 2 years probably just about weigh up with the risk of more expensive one year deals.

Muirhead could kick on again, if so its great. If not, we have a solid sub that can change a game. No issue with him but there are others that I'd be disappointed to see sign on again.

I don't really buy this "two years means lower wages" thing. It doesn't really, does it? The club will be paying more money over two years than it would if it was paying a bit more for one season, unless the wage on offer is absurdly low. 

If the plan is to be increasing investment and raising revenue etc, it'd be extremely, extremely disappointing to be reaching next summer and not being able to afford better players than Muirhead, Blues and just about everybody else we have on the books next summer. 

• Upvote 1

AWMSC

7 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

Not expecting much activity in the next fortnight if the gaffer is on holiday?

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

2 hours ago, Doddie said:

Or anything else depending on funds….

He spoke about loans and free agents. Trying to be optimistic and hoping that we are waiting for some targets.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

15 hours ago, EanieMeany said:

I don't really buy this "two years means lower wages" thing. It doesn't really, does it? The club will be paying more money over two years than it would if it was paying a bit more for one season, unless the wage on offer is absurdly low. 

If the plan is to be increasing investment and raising revenue etc, it'd be extremely, extremely disappointing to be reaching next summer and not being able to afford better players than Muirhead, Blues and just about everybody else we have on the books next summer. 

It’s not an approach I’m fond of but regardless of what’s being paid over two years (I hope to god we’ve been sensible enough to put relegation clauses in all of these contracts), if two players are willing to accept say £50 a week less in exchange for the security of two years when they wouldn’t have with one year, that’s £100 a week more to play with within the budget for the season. You can then stick that £100 a week on top of the offer being made to a marquee signing of a playmaker, centre forward or Lewis Strapp.

Maybe this isn’t the thought process and we’re actually giving two year deals out to certain players because Baird, Blues, and Muirhead are going to be the spine of the team, but I’m choosing to look at this optimistically rather than facing the consequences of not having better players  than that at the moment. If we haven’t added any better signings around them come late July I’ll absolutely be lumping money on relegation, but I’m not going to panic when we’re not even out of May.

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

No it isn't. If a pre-contract was announced by another club 0.4 seconds after the last round of fixtures, then that would be worrying. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

I'd be offering Strapp the armband. I think a year as captain would elevate him even further.

Obviously, if he has better offers from the league above or even down south that may not interest him. He will have seen players at Morton who never took their chance to leave. I mean, we all thought Quitongo was going on to better things, especially after turning down 100k from Doncaster (?). 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ChampTon said:

I'd be offering Strapp the armband. I think a year as captain would elevate him even further.

Obviously, if he has better offers from the league above or even down south that may not interest him. He will have seen players at Morton who never took their chance to leave. I mean, we all thought Quitongo was going on to better things, especially after turning down 100k from Doncaster (?). 

Given that Lithgow is going to be out for a while and Jacobs is probably surplus to requirements, Strapp would be a good team captain although maybe a bit on the young side.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

With Wilson gone - and what a shocker to lose out on him to Queen of the South - that's us looking weaker in every area of the park as it stands. We're retaining players who aren't good enough to start and losing those who are.

There's a long way to go, most contracts will have only expired in the last couple of days and we could feasibly pull off a signing that's an upgrade on Wilson, but this is the first one that's set alarm bells ringing.

• Upvote 1

Oh Lord, Brian Wake