Squad for next Season - Page 11 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Squad for next Season

2 hours ago, port-ton said:

Cheers bud. Still, since the Rae era until now it would be interesting to see who's our top scorer over that period using only seasons we were in the second tier. I have a scary feeling Bob Mchugh would be quite close to the top. 

There are four ahead of him on second tier goals only since we were promoted in 2007, and two tied with him.

Guess away.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

6 minutes ago, dunning1874 said:

There are four ahead of him on second tier goals only since we were promoted in 2007, and two tied with him.

Guess away.

Without checking, I’d imagine Weatherson’s well out in front, with Peaso also high up the list and perhaps Tidser?

Archie Campbell had a purple patch in 2012, would be grim to think he’s near the top.

1 minute ago, Toby said:

Without checking, I’d imagine Weatherson’s well out in front, with Peaso also high up the list and perhaps Tidser?

Archie Campbell had a purple patch in 2012, would be grim to think he’s near the top.

1. Weatherson - 43

2. Peaso - 25

3= Campbell - 21

3= ???

5= McHugh - 18

5= ???

5= Tidser - 18

This is league goals only for the record, discounted cups.

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

40 minutes ago, dunning1874 said:

1. Weatherson - 43

2. Peaso - 25

3= Campbell - 21

3= ???

5= McHugh - 18

5= ???

5= Tidser - 18

This is league goals only for the record, discounted cups.

Forbes? O’Ware?

I'll go Denny Johnstone for the last one then, he got about 15 in one season.

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

It's a left footed winger, for anyone still guessing. I had McHugh in 6th, with Tidser's with one more cup goal as the tie breaker. 

It is a list which puts things in perspective, though. We haven't had many goalscorers in recent years. 

5 hours ago, GiGi said:

I'll go Denny Johnstone for the last one then, he got about 15 in one season.

His successful season was the third tier, not the Championship. 

Edit: after typing that I doubted myself. You're right, Championship. 

Edited by TRVMP

EOho8Pw.png

7 hours ago, Deego said:

Forbes? O’Ware?

I thought forces would have definitely been on the list.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

Rattling through the other guesses:

Wake - 17 in the league, 3 in cups. The third best second tier goals to game ratio of those mentioned here behind Peaso and Johnstone, and the best goals to starts ratio of anyone even if you make it all competitions, including McManus in League One.

O'Ware - 15/16 in the second tier, depending whether you include the playoff goal v Dundee United. Also scored 3 in League One and 6 in cups.

Johnstone - 14 in the league then didn't score in his second spell, but that gives him a better goals to game ratio than everyone there other than Peaso. 3 in cups.

Forbes - 13 in the second tier, plus 1 in League One and 5 in cups.

McManus - only 5 goals in the Championship. 20 in League One and 3 in the Challenge Cup.

The players not mentioned who have a better goals to game ratio than anyone here are Greg Kiltie (6 goals) and Martin Hardie (9 goals), but still waiting on the answer to the player joint with McHugh and Tidser. More appearances than McHugh and fewer than Tidser.

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

8 hours ago, SpoonTon said:

It's a left footed winger, for anyone still guessing. I had McHugh in 6th, with Tidser's with one more cup goal as the tie breaker. 

It is a list which puts things in perspective, though. We haven't had many goalscorers in recent years. 

David O’Brien.

Aye, it's O'Brien. Always thought he was hugely underappreciated but even at that I was surprised to see him that high.

• Upvote 1

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

May as well carry on the list for everyone with double figures:

1. Weatherson - 43
2. Peaso - 25
3. Campbell - 21
4. Oliver - 21
5. McHugh - 18
6. O'Brien - 18
7. Tidser - 18
8. Wake - 17
9. O'Ware - 16
10. Johnstone - 14
11. Forbes - 13
12. Jenkins - 13
13. Russell - 11
14. Graham - 10

I've gone with fewer appearances as the tiebreaker for players who are level.

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

31 minutes ago, dunning1874 said:

13. Russell - 11

Mark?

Iain?

Ryan?

Jack?

• Upvote 1

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Muirhead announced on two year deal. Hope he really kicks on this season. Scored some big goals for us and had his own goal of the season competition second half of last season. 

• Upvote 1

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif